Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2020, 12:58 PM   #1
rvwonderful

Shop RV for today's need or tomorrow's need?

Hello, shop RV for today's need or tomorrow's need? Imagine a just married couple need a small RV (< 30 feet) only, and half-ton truck to tow it. But in the near future about within next 5 year timeframe, plan to have two kids ( e.g. 2 years apart). Should buy a RV with bunkhouse and a bigger truck (3/4 or one ton) today? or upgrade when needed? which way would you take and why?

Currently no RV and no truck to tow. Thanks.
rvwonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If I knew I was going to upgrade, I’d start out with a tow vehicle capable of towing my “future” trailer. Your Tow vehicle is going to be the bigger ticket so might as well get it out of the way now.

Having a capable truck will allow a broader choice of trailers when the time to move up comes without the added expense of a newer/bigger truck.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #3
Pull Toy

Welcome aboard! Good time to be asking these questions. It will save you &&& in the long run.

My advice, after 50 years of camping, is to get your "next rig and tow vehicle" now. Buy as much truck as you can afford 3/4 ton or better. Actually 1 tons are not that much more than 3/4s. Then find the trailer you want for your "next rig".

If you search this board, you'll find story after story of not enough truck for my new rig. Quite a few of these posts are after 1 oe 2 years of camping.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with the prior 2 posts but;

IMO it depends on how long you keep vehicles. If you are going to have the same vehicle 5 years from now by all means get the bigger truck now. If you are like I used to be, I would be on my 3rd truck in 5 years. If that is the case getting smaller now doesn't matter because you won't have it when you upgrade trailers.

The trailer; how long do you plan on keeping it? Now there is where you will lose your shirt. If you opt to keep the trailer for many years, get the truck and trailer for "then" now. Might save a bundle or you might want to move to a different trailer in 5 years anyway. Either way, if you see yourself keeping your truck for years get the future truck now.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:19 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

30' ain't a small camper; if the floor plan is right, it can hold a family for a few days of camping fun without too much cramping. I would look for one with two A/C units and a door in the bedroom. The truck depends on how you intend on using it. If you are going to use it as your daily driver, in my opinion maybe not a great idea. Buy the truck to tow and a fuel efficient little car for commuting. A used truck can be great if you find the right one at the right price and know you may have to put some money into it. If you are asking this question; likely a used camper and a used truck might be less stressful on your finances. As noted, get the truck big enough for any future upsize in camper. My last note is that once you buy any camper, there will be a lot of things you would want or change in the next camper. You won't know what until you have camped in the first camper for awhile. Layout, features, appliances, etc.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:44 PM   #6
rvwonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
30' ain't a small camper; if the floor plan is right, it can hold a family for a few days of camping fun without too much cramping. I would look for one with two A/C units and a door in the bedroom. The truck depends on how you intend on using it. If you are going to use it as your daily driver, in my opinion maybe not a great idea. Buy the truck to tow and a fuel efficient little car for commuting. A used truck can be great if you find the right one at the right price and know you may have to put some money into it. If you are asking this question; likely a used camper and a used truck might be less stressful on your finances. As noted, get the truck big enough for any future upsize in camper. My last note is that once you buy any camper, there will be a lot of things you would want or change in the next camper. You won't know what until you have camped in the first camper for awhile. Layout, features, appliances, etc.
> 2002 Keystone Cougar 278

Thank all for very helpful advice. By the way, you have a 2002 Cougar(from your signature), 18 years old, how is the keystone cougar quality?
rvwonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:49 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

There are several "what if's" that need to be considered:

First, do you even know if RV'ing is "for you and your spouse??? Many people have (or get) an idea to "try RV'ing" and plan a future (along with planning a new venture called marriage) and look forward 4 or 5 years while planning the next step in all of the changing lifestyles all rolled into one...

So, do you even know if you'll enjoy RV'ing ???
Do you know that you'll have 2 children two years apart?
Do you know that your marriage will endure?
Do you know that your chosen career paths will still allow that "discretionary income expense" ??
Do you know if: (Add your own condition here)...

What I'm suggesting is that you're about to enter into a significantly different lifestyle (marriage) and start a family. There are sooooooo many things that can (probably will) happen in the next 5 years that will impact your "current plans for the future"...

I'd suggest buying "what you want for now" and make sure that vehicle/RV are safe and meet current and foreseeable future plans. Then, when you are ready to go bigger, assess the situation then and make decisions based on your family dynamics at that time.

Probably the last thing you'd want to do now is "buy a diesel dually because you plan to buy a 41' fifth wheel toyhauler" and in 2 years have twins, followed 2 years later with triplets and realize that you can no longer afford that dually or the trailer you'd planned to buy because diapers have significantly changed that "discretionary income"....

Will you wind up with 5 kids under 3 in 4 years ??? Probably not, but at the same time, will you be shopping for a larger trailer in 4 years ??? Neither is a "sure thing", so I'd suggest you find out for sure if RV'ing is something you and your new spouse really enjoy enough to move up to a larger rig in the future.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:19 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvwonderful View Post
> 2002 Keystone Cougar 278

Thank all for very helpful advice. By the way, you have a 2002 Cougar(from your signature), 18 years old, how is the keystone cougar quality?

My camper is very well made. We have made many modifications to fit our druthers but none were made because of some initial quality issue. I have had to replace external plastic stuff which deteriorated and broke; compartment door keepers and recently the plastic range hood. Very minor things. The only interior quality issue are the aluminum blinds. At some point I would like to get rid of them and replace with modern window shades or blinds. The aluminum does get bent easily and was a poor choice for a camper.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote