Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2020, 02:42 PM   #1
graygator1971

Drain plugs question

Getting ready to sanitize my water tank, while re-acquainting myself with the drain plugs I found the red and blue drain plugs near the middle of the trailer undercarriage but noticed another drain plug near the left front of the trailer. Does anyone know what that is for?? Have a keystone passport 2521rl elite trailer.
graygator1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:59 PM   #2
Bostongone

If this new drain is under the area of your fresh water fill ports it is probably the fresh water tank drain. The other two are your “low point” drains which don’t always mean they are the actual lowest points in the system due to the water line routing.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:06 PM   #3
graygator1971

That's where it is, thanks! I'm guessing after I let the chlorinized water set for 24 hrs, I'll open the low point drains first and then that drain to ensure I get it all out. Thanks again.
graygator1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:16 PM   #4
Gary R.

Hi there GrayGator, you have found the best place for answers on any issues with you Passport! Welcome!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #5
Gobirds38

Welcome Have Fun and Enjoy!!!
I have the same model...

2020 Keystone Passport GT 2521RL 30 FT.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH 1000 LBS Bars.
2016 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4X4 All Terrain V8 5.3
Gobirds38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Drain plugs question

Opening your low point drains won’t empty the fresh tank. I would drain the fresh tank, Then fill the fresh tank with fresh clean water and run the water pump to flush out the lines.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:45 PM   #7
MotownJG

flushing the fresh water

I wouldn't have thought of running the water pump to purge/flush the fresh water lines.

Thanks Chuckster.
Hoping to leave California in the next year.
MotownJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:40 PM   #8
Logan X

The drain question was already answered so I just wanted to clarify the procedure to sanitize the fresh water system.

Fill the fresh water tank with the bleach water solution, 1/4 cup of bleach for every 15 gallons of fresh water capacity. Run the hot and cold water in every faucet, including the outdoor kitchen and shower, until you smell bleach. Let that sit for at least four hours (I let it sit overnight) and then drain the fresh water tank and refill with fresh water. Run all of those faucets again until you no longer smell bleach and your good to go.

Here is a video about it if you are interested

https://youtu.be/ZS4lARJvnuE
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:39 PM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

What Logan said. X2

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:43 PM   #10
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
The drain question was already answered so I just wanted to clarify the procedure to sanitize the fresh water system.

Fill the fresh water tank with the bleach water solution, 1/4 cup of bleach for every 15 gallons of fresh water capacity. Run the hot and cold water in every faucet, including the outdoor kitchen and shower, until you smell bleach. Let that sit for at least four hours (I let it sit overnight) and then drain the fresh water tank and refill with fresh water. Run all of those faucets again until you no longer smell bleach and your good to go.

I'll add this, drain the hot water tank by removing the drain plug and opening the pressure relief valve. BEFORE removing the plug, turn OFF all water pressure sources, hoses and pump and open a hot water faucet to relieve all pressure. Not doing so will possibly result in the tank drain pug flying out and hitting you in the chest if you're lucky, head if you are not. That will purge the bleach much faster than trying to dilute it over time.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:33 AM   #11
ubetcha

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone replaced the low point drain line caps with a valve? Something that will screw onto the existing threads that the caps thread too? If so , what valve and manufacturer did you use. Getting tired of having water running down my arm and into my pits reaching under the trailer.
ubetcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:03 AM   #12
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post

That is a problem when you have no practical way to get bleach into the fresh water tank to sanitize it. My motorhome had an external "whole house filter" that you could put the bleach solution in to sanitize the system. GFs Crusader has a gravity fill you can put the solution in. New Raptor has neither which means either install a filter housing, to pour bleach into a water hose and turn water on to get it into the system. I'll eventually install that whole house filter but in the meantime using the hose method is not an effective way to get the bleach solution inside. Lousy design that's unfortunately becoming widespread in "better builds".
Old 03-20-2020, 09:33 AM   #13
John-n-Theresa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubetcha View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone replaced the low point drain line caps with a valve? Something that will screw onto the existing threads that the caps thread too? If so , what valve and manufacturer did you use. Getting tired of having water running down my arm and into my pits reaching under the trailer.
I just installed 2 of these in place of the caps.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/AMERICAN-VA...lve/1000339557

John-n-Theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 06:48 AM   #14
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
That is a problem when you have no practical way to get bleach into the fresh water tank to sanitize it. My motorhome had an external "whole house filter" that you could put the bleach solution in to sanitize the system. GFs Crusader has a gravity fill you can put the solution in. New Raptor has neither which means either install a filter housing, to pour bleach into a water hose and turn water on to get it into the system. I'll eventually install that whole house filter but in the meantime using the hose method is not an effective way to get the bleach solution inside. Lousy design that's unfortunately becoming widespread in "better builds".
There should be a vent with a cover for the fresh water tank. On mine and most you can flip that vent cap open and pour water solution in that way.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:08 AM   #15
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
There should be a vent with a cover for the fresh water tank. On mine and most you can flip that vent cap open and pour water solution in that way.
I'll look when I get it back but didn't see anything in the wet bay. Normally any vent just goes out the top and down someplace "underneath". Typical gravity fill ports have a small screened vent but no gravity fill option, only connected to shore water and fill that way.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:17 AM   #16
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
I'll look when I get it back but didn't see anything in the wet bay. Normally any vent just goes out the top and down someplace "underneath". Typical gravity fill ports have a small screened vent but no gravity fill option, only connected to shore water and fill that way.
There should be a vent on the outside wall near the fresh water tank. Mine is on the back wall.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:58 AM   #17
chunker

Quote:
There should be a vent on the outside wall near the fresh water tank. Mine is on the back wall.
When you say back wall, back wall of that? Trailer, basement, wet bay? It's a toy hauler so back wall of trailer is a ramp. Nothing on back wall of basement, and no venting on back wall of wet bay.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:34 AM   #18
ubetcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-n-Theresa View Post
I just installed 2 of these in place of the caps.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/AMERICAN-VA...lve/1000339557

Thanks for the reply! Next trip to Menards, if the state doesn't decide to shut everything down, I will pick some up. Thanks again
ubetcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:48 AM   #19
jimborokz

I realize yours is a toyhauler and it's not on the back wall but it should be on an outside wall somewhere.
Here's what mine looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200322_084928 (002).jpg
Views:	231
Size:	555.9 KB
ID:	25685  
Old 03-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #20
chunker

Quote:
I realize yours is a toyhauler and it's not on the back wall but it should be on an outside wall somewhere.
Here's what mine looks like.
Thanks when I get it back from it's electrical problem I'll check again all over. I assume your fresh water tank is in the back, mine is forward of the axles.

Tags
drain