Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2019, 05:39 PM   #1
fjr vfr

Electric Space Heater

What do you all think is the best overall space heater.
We have one we've had for a few years. I plan on trashing it and getting a new one. The one we have has been very inconsistent. Sometimes it needs to be turned way up and then turns off frequently. Other times I have it turned way down and it seems to never turn off! Very annoying!

So before I replace it, I thought I'd ask for a few opinions in order to make a wiser decision. What about the oil filled heaters for a start?

Thanks,
John
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I prefer the oil filled radiator type. Much safer around kids and pets and I believe they draw less amps.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 05:24 AM   #3
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I prefer the oil filled radiator type. Much safer around kids and pets and I believe they draw less amps.
Well 1500 watts is still 12.5 amps on 120 volts, the type of heater doesn't really make a difference. This equals 83.3% of a 15 amp circuit.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 05:58 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Electric Space Heater

To be honest I’ve never checked how many watts they pull. We travel with a long hair Siamese cat and often times grandkids. One time smelling burnt cat hair was enough and the thought of a kid burning his hand on the hot grate was enough for us.

Probably all in my head but the radiator seems to put out a “warmer” heat if that makes any sense.

I do know the radiator type isn’t “constantly on” because I’ve heard it cycle, that’s where the less energy use comes from. I may have mis stated before.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:54 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

I use oil filled heaters in my three shops as I work on carburetors and have no desire to spray carb cleaner on a heating element. The oil filled heaters are top heavy and if a cat sits on one and then springs off, perhaps the heater would tip over? They also take a long time to heat a room. I use small ceramic heaters in our camper in cold weather. These add the benefit of cycling on and off as they reach a certain temperature. If it is real cold, I augment with turning on the cabin heat till the cabin warms a bit in the early morning but that heat tends to be very dry and stuffy so I have never used it more than about a half hour.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:58 AM   #6
Ken / Claudia

I always had the fan and heating element type as backup. When we bought a 40 ft park trailer on beach property the owners left the oil heater and explained how they used it.
I also think they are the way to go, real safe and quiet. We have one that is 600 w low and 900w high or both switches can be on for 1500 watts. It mostly stays in the garage. It keeps the 8x10 gun room well heated. I mainly have it on during the night or while working in the room.
This week the house furnace quit and was out for 3 days before repaired. So it was used in the bedroom at night the low setting worked fine, high was too hot.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:08 AM   #7
slow

We use a Vornado heater https://www.vornado.com/shop/heaters...h-auto-climate

Air is warm not hot and is stable. Just what we wanted with grandkids and pets they bring along.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:19 AM   #8
fjr vfr

Some great options to ponder. The biggest complaint I have with the quartz heater we have is that it has a mind of it's own, so you can't set it and depend it will maintain consistency. It's annoying!
Old 12-25-2019, 08:47 PM   #9
Customer1

Buy whatever cheap 1500 watt heater you want, they all put out essentially the same amount of heat. 1500 watts = 5,100 BTU no matter what the seller claims. Then buy this quality thermostat to control the heater;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #10
fjr vfr

Thanks that's awesome. Maybe I don't need a new heater...just turn it up all the way and let the thermostat control the heater....cool.
Saves buying a new one and it works with anyone. It pays to ask.

Thanks again,
John
Old 12-26-2019, 04:26 AM   #11
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

Quote:

Probably all in my head but the radiator seems to put out a “warmer” heat if that makes any sense.

I do know the radiator type isn’t “constantly on” because I’ve heard it cycle, that’s where the less energy use comes from. I may have mis stated before.

We have tried every type heater in our RV due to the wife buying different types to get a more constant heat and me being cost conscious.

Yes 1500 watts is 1500 watts for cost factors, but as stated it cycles on and off and when cycled off, the oil remains hot giving it that cost edge over any other type so the RV is actually warmer.

Our 5th wheel is a permanent set-up and we have only a 30 amp service for each unit in the park so I can really see the cost savings plus the fact someone else mentioned it has multiple watt settings. At night we set it to 900 watts and use a small 250 watts unit in the front bedroom, cozy it is!
Weekender 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 06:22 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekender 1 View Post
Yes 1500 watts is 1500 watts for cost factors, but as stated it cycles on and off and when cycled off, the oil remains hot giving it that cost edge over any other type so the RV is actually warmer. ...
Not trying to be argumentative but don't you lose any "energy savings" reheating the oil? Seems only logical to me that once the heat is transferred from the oil, to the fins, and into the air then to cycle back on would require the electric elements to reverse that process and heat the oil, then the fins (or case) before heating the air.

I'm not making the case against oil filled heaters as they have many positive points, some stated previously such as no potential burns, no noise, Negatives- take up more floor space and weight, don't heat "instantly".

Ceramic or "cube" heaters - positives - typically lower purchase cost, they make noise (some folks like noise like hearing the "white noise" of the A/C fan), you can set in the path of the fan to warm up, they take up little space, lightweight,"instant heat" Negatives - fire hazard if they are used too close to combustibles, possible burn injury) fan noise.

So to me it's a personal choice. Weigh the advantages/disadvantages of each according to YOUR needs and preferences and go from there.

Enjoy keeping cozy and warm!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:27 AM   #13
fjr vfr

Anybody subscribe to Consumer Reports? I would bet they're done a comprehensive report on the subject. Maybe someone can look it up?
Anyway it would seem to me the oil filled radiator would be slightly more cost effective...I say slightly. This only because the oil doesn't have to be reheated completely each time. It doesn't cool down very far so it wouldn't take long getting it back to temp. Note: I may be wrong.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #14
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
Anybody subscribe to Consumer Reports? I would bet they're done a comprehensive report on the subject. Maybe someone can look it up?
Anyway it would seem to me the oil filled radiator would be slightly more cost effective...I say slightly. This only because the oil doesn't have to be reheated completely each time. It doesn't cool down very far so it wouldn't take long getting it back to temp. Note: I may be wrong.

Right here Flybouy is the answer.
The oil doesnt cool that much when its left to cycle on and off, hence it doesn't take much energy to bring it back up.
Then those ones that have a fan are losing off their 1500 watts pushing the fan. Try turning the heat off and see how much speed the fan picks up when just on fan.
Yes, it isn't instant heat, but left running during cool temperatures, which is what people will be doing when temps dictate you to use something, well, it will cost less to run.

Consumer reports????? Online reviews etc???? I won't go by that EVER. Those entities are paid by one party or another.

10+ years of trying to heat my garage, shed, camper etc and getting the bills tells me, the oil heater does take time to work but is the most cost effective type of heat outside of natural gas when left running.

Little block heaters of any type have their place, under a desk, very small enclosed area, next to you, quick heat and so on. And that's were I meant 1500 watts is 1500 watts.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:33 AM   #15
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

https://tinyhousehugeideas.com/energ...space-heaters/
https://www.homeair.org/most-energy-...space-heaters/
https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/ene...t-heaters.html

There did some quick ones, guess what????? Nothing common sense solid of a answer, but the 3rd does specifically calls out halogen and oil filled as well, you read it.

• Radiant– Immediate heat. Best for warming people directly in front of the heater. A few have fans.
  • Ceramic – Slower to heat. They’re portable, so are the best type for moving from room to room. Most have fans.

Oil-filled – Slowest to heat. Best for longer heating of an entire room. The oil stores heat, so continues to give off heat after turned off. Quiet because they don’t have fans.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:33 PM   #16
Customer1

Quote:
...Then those ones that have a fan are losing off their 1500 watts pushing the fan. Try turning the heat off and see how much speed the fan picks up when just on fan....
Consider this; what happens from the electricity used to operate the fan?

Answer; friction/heat, and heat is what you wanted.

That makes even a fan operated heater virtually 100% efficient.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:50 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Not to be arguing, but isn’t heat and friction the death of an electric fan? So yeah it just might be 100% efficient when brand new, but as the bearings lose lubrication it takes more energy to overcome the increased friction.

I’m not here to argue which heat source is the most efficient, just stated my thoughts.

Old 12-26-2019, 05:06 PM   #18
LHaven

Quote:
  • Radiant– Immediate heat. Best for warming people directly in front of the heater. A few have fans.
  • Ceramic – Slower to heat. They’re portable, so are the best type for moving from room to room. Most have fans.
  • Oil-filled – Slowest to heat. Best for longer heating of an entire room. The oil stores heat, so continues to give off heat after turned off. Quiet because they don’t have fans.
Right. Thermodynamics says that energy in has to equal energy out, plus entropy. And since entropy itself usually expresses as heat or light, heaters can be very efficient.

The ceramic and oil moderators just introduce a sort of "flywheel effect" that smooths out the "square wave" outputs of either 0% heat when the element is off, or 100% heat when it is on. The "extra" energy you gain from the delayed radiation of the hot ceramic or oil is paid for at next heat-up by the energy absorbed in reheating the ceramic or oil instead of the room.

Bottom line is you're not getting any more or less heat, you're just timing its release differently.

I really, really love the availability of that thermostat someone called out. My main gripe about my cube heater is that although it is very good about keeping a constant temperature, you have no idea what that temperature will be when you set it up before bedtime, since there are no temperature markings on the rheostat. You can't just leave it set and expect it to do what you want, because you need a different rheostat setting to produce the same internal temperature depending on how fast the heat bleeds through the walls in colder weather. A plug-in thermostat fixes all that.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:52 PM   #19
Customer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
Buy whatever cheap 1500 watt heater you want, they all put out essentially the same amount of heat. 1500 watts = 5,100 BTU no matter what the seller claims. Then buy this quality thermostat to control the heater;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thought I would add, the thermostat also has a battery so you can unplug, toss in a drawer, pull it back out and use again with no additional setup needed.

I have used these stats for electric heaters and also window air conditioners. The temperature always stays within 1 - 2 degrees of the set point.

I've only used it for maintaining a constant temperature but it can also be used as a programmable stat. Want to sleep cooler and warm the room before you rise? It can do that.

Set the heater or A/C unit to maximum, and then allow the add on thermostat to handle things.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:58 PM   #20
Customer1

Quote:
Not to be arguing, but isn’t heat and friction the death of an electric fan? So yeah it just might be 100% efficient when brand new, but as the bearings lose lubrication it takes more energy to overcome the increased friction.

I’m not here to argue which heat source is the most efficient, just stated my thoughts.
That possible requirement of increased energy just becomes heat. Friction produces heat.

Tags
heat, heater