Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
Twisties

More Noob Questions...

Hi,

1. Well, so, the owner's manual says to turn off the propane and engage the battery disconnect before towing the RV. It says this allows the batteries to charge off the 7-pin from the truck.

I am wondering how to keep my fridge cold? As well, am I correct presuming that the batteries would charge from the 7-pin if the battery disconnect were not engaged, but load would also drain them?

What do you do in terms of turning off functions before travel?

2. When not on city water, do you leave the water pump on, or just turn it on when you need water? Any risk of burning up the water heater if the pump is off?

3. If you run a free-standing generator, how do you protect it from weather? One of these pricey made to purpose little tent thingies, or rig a tarp, or put under the 5'er, or something else? Do the generators need to be grounded? I've seen these big grounding screws.

Thanks!
Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisties View Post
Hi,

1. Well, so, the owner's manual says to turn off the propane and engage the battery disconnect before towing the RV. It says this allows the batteries to charge off the 7-pin from the truck.

I am wondering how to keep my fridge cold? As well, am I correct presuming that the batteries would charge from the 7-pin if the battery disconnect were not engaged, but load would also drain them?

What do you do in terms of turning off functions before travel?

2. When not on city water, do you leave the water pump on, or just turn it on when you need water? Any risk of burning up the water heater if the pump is off?

3. If you run a free-standing generator, how do you protect it from weather? One of these pricey made to purpose little tent thingies, or rig a tarp, or put under the 5'er, or something else? Do the generators need to be grounded? I've seen these big grounding screws.

Thanks!
Running with propane on has been covered and discussed a zillion times on here. Short answer, yes. Longer answer, do a search.
Same with battery disconnect. Disengage it so your 12v system works. Yes the 7 pin will charge if your truck is set up that way. Some need a fuse installed, some don't.

The water pump only runs when water is used. Leave it on and when you open a faucet it will turn on, then back off when no more demand.

Don't over think the generator. Put it under the 5th overhang or your tailgate. No need for special lodging.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:14 AM   #3
Twisties

Great, Thanks!
Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:25 AM   #4
Logan X

I turn off my water pump if I’m going to be away from the trailer for awhile just in case the plumbing springs a leak (I also turn off the city water if I’m away). I leave the pump on while I’m at the trailer.

I don’t have a special cover for the generator. I put it under the trailer if it rains. The generator does not need to be grounded but if you use a portable generator and you have a hardwired Electrical Management System (EMS), you will need a bonded plug for the generator. Here’s a video with more info about bonded plugs.

https://youtu.be/iFpm04iJdGw

I do run the propane for the fridge while under way.

Good questions.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
travelin texans

Leave the battery disconnect "on" or in whatever position the battery is connected to the RV & leave it in that position until it goes into storage. With it disconnected the battery doesn't charge while on shore power, not sure when towing but no need to constantly be messing with either way.
Set your fridge to "auto" & your done. When on shore it runs on electric, when shore power disconnected it automatically runs on gas, no need to constantly be messing with it either.
When you have your hose connected to city water turn your pump off, when traveling or no hose connected use your pump, just be sure there's a few gallons of water in the tank, no need hauling with it full unless you plan to boondock all week. As to connecting to city water spigots, get yourself an adjustable water pressure regulator, not that thing the dealer may have given you they called a regulator, it restricts the flow.
Logan X mentioned the EMS, if you don't have one, get one ASAP, either hardwired or portable, this can & will save your sensitive electronics if connected to a faulty power supply.
As to the generator, if you want to cover it, do so, but wouldn't run it with it covered.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Would agree with Danny and just add to keep the water pump off until you are ready to use it. No need for it to be on in transit as a spigot getting turned on (either vibration or something falling from a cabinet) or leak could end up in a flood. I've always turned the city water off when leaving the camper for any length of time. I've seen campers with waterfalls at the door and no one home, not pretty.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:08 PM   #7
WNY Bullet

While towing you need to keep your battery connected for the emergency braking system to work. So only turn the battery disconnect when storing.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote