Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2019, 12:54 PM   #21
LewisB

Ems

Floating along with the (appropriate) drift from water to power, I'd like to jump in
I like the idea of the pedestal mounted EMS because it requires no "installation" - it is plug & play, it not only protects the trailer but also the power supply wires (pedestal to trailer), and you don't have to replace it when you change trailers. While theft prevention is always discussed as a reason for the built-in units, I have never lost my pedestal mounted unit or seen any evidence that this is a widespread occurrence. A 50A pedestal mounted EMS will also provide protection when used with a 30A/50A pigtail plugged in downstream of the EMS.

I personally went with Surge Guard #34951 because of the Remote Monitor #40301 unit; they provide...
> Highest level (joules) of surge protection
> Provides BOTH line side and load side protection from wiring issues and equipment failures, including faults, open neutral, elevated ground current, or frequency deviations any of which cause the system to cut off power at the source.
> Analysis of the power is much faster (10 seconds).
> Includes a locking ring to provide a theft deterrent and extra security.
> Has a lifetime warranty that includes connected equipment coverage - if this unit fails to do what it was intended to do and damage occurs to equipment in your RV that Surge Guard will pay for those damages.
> Works with an inside monitor so you can see what is going on at the pedestal, from inside of your RV.

Available at:
https://www.technorv.com/50a-surge-g...tection-34951/
https://www.technorv.com/surge-guard...ortable-units/

I REALLY like this unit (no, I'm not a paid sales person).
While these things are pricey (compared to just surge protection), one open neutral will more than pay for the protection - it's cheap insurance!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:56 PM   #22
Twisties

Well it's Sunday and the EMS just showed up. I have to say I'm surprised. The Surge Guard sounds nice, but I had ordered the Progressive unit. In any event, apparently our power checks out properly, and I can see how many amps the unit is drawing. The adjustable water pressure regulator is slated to arrive Tuesday.

Thanks for all the help!
Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:56 PM   #23
KSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Floating along with the (appropriate) drift from water to power, I'd like to jump in[emoji38]
I like the idea of the pedestal mounted EMS because it requires no "installation" - it is plug & play, it not only protects the trailer but also the power supply wires (pedestal to trailer), and you don't have to replace it when you change trailers. While theft prevention is always discussed as a reason for the built-in units, I have never lost my pedestal mounted unit or seen any evidence that this is a widespread occurrence. A 50A pedestal mounted EMS will also provide protection when used with a 30A/50A pigtail plugged in downstream of the EMS.

I personally went with Surge Guard #34951 because of the Remote Monitor #40301 unit; they provide...
> Highest level (joules) of surge protection
> Provides BOTH line side and load side protection from wiring issues and equipment failures, including faults, open neutral, elevated ground current, or frequency deviations any of which cause the system to cut off power at the source.
> Analysis of the power is much faster (10 seconds).
> Includes a locking ring to provide a theft deterrent and extra security.
> Has a lifetime warranty that includes connected equipment coverage - if this unit fails to do what it was intended to do and damage occurs to equipment in your RV that Surge Guard will pay for those damages.
> Works with an inside monitor so you can see what is going on at the pedestal, from inside of your RV.

Available at:
https://www.technorv.com/50a-surge-g...tection-34951/
https://www.technorv.com/surge-guard...ortable-units/

I REALLY like this unit (no, I'm not a paid sales person).
While these things are pricey (compared to just surge protection), one open neutral will more than pay for the protection - it's cheap insurance!
Anyone else use this unit? I like the no installation and remote monitor function.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, leaks, water