Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
Dave H

Mice

Last year in fall we purchased a 2005 31' Zinger II by Keystone with dinette slide. After storing indoors for the winter we noticed mouse signs. The critters seem to be entering the small openings around some hoses running through the floor and around the small opening where the shower drain trap actually sits in an opening cut in the floor. I have checked as much as I can sliding around underneath the unit and most of the other things that go through the floor have a type of expanding insulation plugging the openings. My question is is there any reason I cannot use a touch of the Great Stuff insulating foam sealant I have or is there a better product I should buy for this purpose? Question 2 Anyone know where I can order the plastic trim which wraps around the front side to the gas tanks on the front left corner and a decal which runs from it to the slide? Thanks Festus for explaining the forum process.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

There is no reason why you can't use canned foam sealant - including Great Stuff. Mice will and can get in through any small opening. Try to locate and seal the best you can all gaps around black pipes, front landing jacks, low point drain outlets, and any wiring that comes through from the outside to the interior. The area in and around the front landing jacks is one of their favorite points of entry.
When you are storing it this winter, place some mouse traps in various locations - in exterior storage compartments as well as around the floor and counters.
Check around the furnace, fridge, and pump areas --- seal these holes and gaps. There are plenty of them!!! (Gaps and holes, that is. Not mice --- yet)
Can't help you with the plastic trim. Someone else will chime in for this...
Old 08-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
Dave H

thanks

Thanks again
Old 08-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
msp2jxr

I use steel wool first and then seal with the great stuff. Mice don't like to chew through the steel wool. I do the same with cracks in my house foundation.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
Dave H

Good idea thanks
Old 08-30-2011, 05:45 AM   #6
Outbackmel

Rid A Mouse

We have purchased "Rid A Mouse" and NEVER see one; period. It was not cheap about a grand! But no mice or critters. It's a baby Maine Coon cat, now 10 months old and goes in fighting at 12 pounds! No critter dares to take her on. Not declawed. This pet is like having your own personal Bobcat.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:12 AM   #7
SteveC7010

I've successfully used DCon baits in my TT's to keep the mice at bay. We lived in the country for a dozen years, and the mice were a way of life. They are still prevalent here in the village, too. They are capable of squeezing through very tiny cracks or openings, so much so that sealing up might not ever be the answer.

I place the poison baits in places throughout the trailer where neither grandchild nor dog can ever get at them. My favorite is to remove a bottom drawer in the galley or head and place an open bait in the dead space at the bottom of the cabinetry and then replace the drawer. I also put one in the storage compartment for the shore line.

I usually place ant baits at the same time and in the same places.

The mouse baits contain a poison that makes them powerfully thirsty so they seek water. Since there are usually no open sources of water in a TT, they exit looking for a drink and then die somewhere other than in the trailer.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:11 AM   #8
Rock7

I think I used De-conn. Put it in a cubby with my waders. Chk'd periodicaly thru the winter, and it kept disapearing, I thought "You are being hard on mice population this year".
Spring when time to go fishing. I pulled out waders. Stuck my foot in and had something inn the bottom. Turned boot upside down, and out came the rat poisin.Now use sticky paper.Spring traps w/peanut butter.
Rock7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:40 AM   #9
Dave H

rodents

That is a good idea because I know the little critters tend to store the food before it gets the best of them and they head out in search of water. That way there are not those little blue/green piles of the stuff all over. Thanks
Old 09-11-2011, 05:14 AM   #10
Movin' on

Dave H., This may or may not be an option for you, but this is what I do. I keep our Cougar plugged in all the time because it is parked where this is possible. I have been using Black and Decker (120v) "sonic" repellers in our rig for the past 4 years since I first found we had a mouse. Since then there have been no signs of mice at all. I have two in the living quarters and 1 in the storage compartment underneath.

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
Str8shooter

Steel wool and sealant

Shortly after bringing home our fifth wheel last year I searched for every possible opening into the camper (from the inside and cargo areas) and stuffed steel wool into each opening followed by the expanding foam sealant. So far this this has kept the mice out.

At present I'm more concerned with black widow spiders that seem to like the under side of the 5'er. Their thick tough webs give them away but I spray kill them.

Rick & Carol
16k Pullrite SuperGlide w/SuperRails
2011 Polaris Ranger XP 800
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #12
The Sod Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
The mouse baits contain a poison that makes them powerfully thirsty so they seek water. Since there are usually no open sources of water in a TT, they exit looking for a drink and then die somewhere other than in the trailer.
Yep, and they all end up in my swimming pool. I have been waging war against mice for about 3 years now. I have bait stations all around the house and have finally culled the mouse population is Sodville to a reasonable number (where I can't see them).

RE: using steel wool - in lieu of steel, try using brass wool. It does not rust.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:23 AM   #13
jimc

another mouse entry

While I had the belly cover off the fresh water tank area I noticed that the heater duct into this area has NO mesh or cover whatsoever, allowed critters into the heater & ductwork.
I ended up making a duct end grille with expanded aluminum filter stuff and hose clamping it over the end.
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
pinn

I have used the steel wool fix...Helped, but got a critter in the trailer last winter during storage.I put rat tack under sink and he was gone jn the spring.Using this will make die near water.
pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #15
tibbar

I have had mice in the RV and have tried various things to keep them at bay. Fabric softener sheets seemed to help but I think they started to like the scent. Next is trays of bait and that seems to work but I did find lots of piles of bait all over the RV. I think the snake I found when I opened the door last year may be my best "mouser" yet, it kept me out for months!
tibbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #16
hsmunoz

I have tried alot of different stuff. There are two scenario's I use that work
-if I am frequently in the rig, I use a mouse zapper inside and BarBait outside.
-the zapper kills the mice inside on the spot, and flashes. then just dump it and reload. no touchy the dead mouse.

- if it is in storage, only bar bait outside, under the RV/
Barbait is something you get at a farm store. Very potent stuff. Will kill large animals as well as small. it looks like a Churro, with a hole in the middle. You break off a piece and run a wire through the middle and then slide the whole thing into a piece of PVC pipe and twist. (this is to keep the bait unexposed and only accessible to a rodent that can squeeze into a 2in diameter pipe). (remember this stuff can kill a horse) . Use gloves when handling the stuff. first time I used it I didn't and felt pretty weird the rest of the day. Because it's stuck together there are no pellets to carry away, and tucked into a black pvc tube the mice think its already in a nice storage place. they take a bite and dead in short order.

have not seen a rodent in my 5th since.

I have a storage shed and tossed ab out 6 tubes of the barbait into it. counted a dozen or so corpses , then nothing in the last month.
hsmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #17
Monica

I tried the Bounce dryer sheets and they used them as a blanket. They shredded them up and made a nest out of them! I read about the product called Mouse Free it was on the RV Doctor's website. He put pictures of the coating being applied to the bottom of a fifth wheel. It seems to make sense because the bottom is where everybody says that you have to seal up all the holes. Has anybody used Mouse Free? It looks like a really new idea.
Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #18
SAABDOCTOR

Hi all read outbackcamel's post on page 1 That is the only thing that works!!!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
mapleman3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
Hi all read outbackcamel's post on page 1 That is the only thing that works!!!!
What...a killer cat? Great I am doomed.....alergic

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
mapleman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #20
BLJ

Blj

Since we have a problem with the carbon monixide, we too tried to find holes to plug. Best way we found was to go out in the dark and shine a flashlight inside around the floor and compartments and slides, cupboards and the person on the outside watch for the light to shine through. We still have carbon monixide but no mice.
BLJ is offline   Reply With Quote