Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
perryt

Cool Confusing Cougar Tire Pressure Specs

I have religiously kept the tires on my 2009 Cougar 292RKS aired up at 80psi (cold) as indicated on the label on the trailer. On our last trip we had a tire separation resulting in damage to the trailer. The tire label on the trailer calls for 235/80R16D tires. The original tires are Goodyear Marthons in ST235/80R16D. Sounds like everything is as it should be execpt the tire sidewall indicates 65psi max.

I have never heard of running tires beyond the max pressure on the sidewall and am wondering if this was a mistake on Keystone's part or am I just missing something here? Has anyone else seen this on your trailer?

Thanks.

Perry
perryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
smiller

I would expect that if the tire is stamped 65 psi max. then that is indeed that maximum (cold) inflation that should be used. I don't know how a recommendation from Keystone can override the tire manufacturer's design maximum.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

80 psi in that size tire would be load range E not D. Is it possible that the wrong tires were put on the trailer. The factory standard tire for that trailer was 225/75R15D ... 16" may have been an option and should have been E rated tires. Tire size on sticker should match psi.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
CWtheMan

Did you purchase your Cougar new from a dealer?

According to the 2009 Keystone/Cougar specs all were equipped with ST225/75R15D tires. Did you request and receive an upgrade to the ST235/80R16D tire (s)?

Whoever put that tire placard on your cougar is responsible for it’s accuracy. Only two sources can provide the tire placard, the selling dealer or the vehicle manufacturer.

I suggest you take some pictures of the tire placard and present them directly to a Keystone rep and ask for compensation for their error.

Keystone has already had recalls on other models for inaccurate placard information.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
KanTC

Perry,

Cougar brochures prior to 2010 are no longer archived online... dunno why not... but I found the 2009 available elsewhere:

http://www.brownsrvsuperstore.com/br.../09_cougar.pdf

Brochure doesn't mention anything about a 16" tire option, BUT it 'does' list a 16” Spare as part of the Convenience Package. Go figure!

Sounds like the *tire assembly/placard guy* AND *proof-reader* were both asleep at the wheel... or the keyboard - whichever the case may be!

2008 Cougar brochure ...also no mention of 16" tires.
http://www.brownsrvsuperstore.com/br.../08_cougar.pdf

Welcome to the forum! Hope this helps,
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot & DH Kevin
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:57 AM   #6
perryt

Upon futher investitagation it looks like the tire placard *and* the manufacturers VIN label both reference load range D tires at 80 psi. I attached a picture of the two labels. Anyone care to verify what I'm seeing before I have a chat with Keystone?

Thanks.

Perry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00053-20110818-0734.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	582  
perryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryt View Post
Upon futher investitagation it looks like the tire placard *and* the manufacturers VIN label both reference load range D tires at 80 psi. I attached a picture of the two labels. Anyone care to verify what I'm seeing before I have a chat with Keystone?

Thanks.

Perry
well, load range D tires are rated at 65psi max, load range E are rated at 80psi max. so, looks to me like the placard is inconsistent with max tire pressure allowed on the specified tires. Will be interesting to see Keystones response.

either the tires should be LR E, or the inflation pressure should be no higher than 65psi.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
CWtheMan

You could compare the VIN number on your bill of sale with the VIN number found on the placard.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote