Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2019, 01:07 PM   #41
glendar10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Ahhh, but therein lies the rub (see red above). Plus, I'm not really one to believe that all the placards, warnings, "do not exceed"/"shall not exceed" etc. statements are all just "hyperbole" that the manufacturers put in the vehicles to "cover up" that they are so much more capable but we "just don't know". Sort of like the 1/2 tons with "heavy springs" that are now the equivalent of a 3/4 ton or more but they "just won't say it", the 3/4 tons that are really one tons but the 10k "law" won't "them tell us". The specs are on each vehicle - they are what they are. If a person wants something with a bigger "number"...they sell it and you just have to buy it. Sort of like believing you can fly by pasting some duck feathers on your arms...that's all well and good, and probably cool if you believe it, but, when you jump off that 2000' cliff to "fly away"....things ain't going to go so well......JMO
I know I have one of them a F250 king ranch wit a 10000 gross but a payload of only 2025. This was setup to pull. 10400. Cougar by dealer joe Cotton who has i idea what he was doing and knew everything about pulling a trailer even told me that the pin weight is figured in the gross weight and does not count for payload.donttell me anything as I know he is stupid.
glendar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:10 PM   #42
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYHLR View Post
FWIW.

Am not getting into the 2500 overload debate. To me it seems that the capacity of the truck is clearly published. To go beyond those capacities seems foolish to me.

I recently returned from a 1500 mi round trip with my camper. Traveling south of Savannah on I-95 i received flashing sign to pull into the weigh station.

I can only assume that because the rear axle weight of my dually with the camper is 7k, that is why i was directed to pass through. As I approached the scale house, the weight cop stuck his head out of the window and waved me through. Obviously with a dually equipped with 19.5 wheels and tires I was good to go with more capacity to spare.

I can only surmise that perhaps the real weight police are beginning to look at overloaded trucks pulling large/heavy 5th wheels (or at least south of Savannah)? I would not take the chance of being put out of service next to the interstate with my family in the truck, especially knowing from the start that my TV was overloaded, but that is just me.

You were pre weighed, at speed, and the camera could not see a DOT number on the side of your truck and you grossed over 10,000 LBS witch may put you in CDL territory and DOT requirements. At this point you were electronically directed into the scales, at this point the scale master saw you were a recreational vehicle and waived you through, he or she, the state, could care less. In all my travels up and down I-75 I've never seen a RV in the scale line. I still see a lot of Junk and miss matched vehicles on the highway. On one trip there was a 5thwheel on the side of the road and the large slide literally collapsed and was hanging out.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:58 PM   #43
John&Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
You couldn't give me leather, air condition/heated butt or carpet in a truck.
Although I don’t use them that often myself, the DW LOVES the bun warmers on our 2500HD Duramax. So much so, she’s insisting on getting them in our next car. As they say, if the DW is happy, EVERYONE is happy
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:57 PM   #44
TYHLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
You were pre weighed, at speed, and the camera could not see a DOT number on the side of your truck and you grossed over 10,000 LBS witch may put you in CDL territory and DOT requirements. At this point you were electronically directed into the scales, at this point the scale master saw you were a recreational vehicle and waived you through, he or she, the state, could care less. In all my travels up and down I-75 I've never seen a RV in the scale line. I still see a lot of Junk and miss matched vehicles on the highway. On one trip there was a 5thwheel on the side of the road and the large slide literally collapsed and was hanging out.
Frank, this is entirely possible as my trailer weight is way beyond the 10k requirement for CDL if it were not an RV.

Good call. Had not thought of it this way.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:39 AM   #45
Todd727

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYHLR View Post
Big bright flashing sign next to interstate lit up as I approached it saying "Enter weigh station". Thought there may be an 18 wheeler either next to me or behind me but none in sight.
I was finally tagged with one of those messages after a dozen trips over the years on I-75 in GA. Decided to ignore it. After that, I try not to be in the right lane when going through the sensors.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:25 AM   #46
notanlines

Javi, I believe we are going to have to pull you, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century!
Do you realize pick-ups are available now without that handle that makes the window go down? And the dimmer switch isn't on the floor any more....

Crap! I believe this joke is on me; I'm back to missing my wing windows.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:54 AM   #47
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Diesel, power windows, locks, mirrors and hands free phone and audio controls on steering wheel. Also tilt steering wheel, and tinted glass and posi-trac.

You couldn't give me leather, air condition/heated butt or carpet in a truck.

It is 2wd though... I've always owned 4x4 but I counted up how many times I actually needed 4 wheel drive over the past 25 years and I went to 2wd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Javi, I believe we are going to have to pull you, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century!
Do you realize pick-ups are available now without that handle that makes the window go down? And the dimmer switch isn't on the floor any more....

Crap! I believe this joke is on me; I'm back to missing my wing windows.
Well Javi isn't in the dark ages, has some of the nice features.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote