Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
socalcamper

new to the forum

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum but have owned my Passport for about 1.5 years now (6000 miles on it). I discovered the forum while doing some research for a problem I found on my last trip: the inside of my rear tires are severely worn.

Lots of great info on the forum. I'm looking forward to being a member. I'll keep you posted as I try to resolve this problem.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Welcome to the group, socalcamper. I would suspect that your tire wear might be the result of:
a) axle/alignment problems
b) worn suspension components - shackles, bushings, etc.
c) unbalanced or out-of-round tire.

If your tire is not balanced, correcting just this problem without having first looked at the other possible causes at the same time, would be a waste of time and money. The tire will become unbalanced again quite soon.
Let us know what you have found the cause to be.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
socalcamper

possible bent axle?

Thanks festus2. I have a feeling it might be a bent axle but will have everything you listed checked. I noticed something curious the last time I backed into my driveway: The rear tires were really compressed and it looked like they were taking the entire trailer load while I was moving up the skirt (bigger axle spread might hurt me in this case?). If this was the case the rear axle might have bent as I'm sure the axles were not rated to individually take the entire load of the trailer. From what I read on the forum they are usually rated to barely handle the entire load together.

This is my first trailer...lots of stuff to learn
Old 07-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

It is not unusual to hear "strange" sounds coming from your TT while turning or backing up. At first, you might think that you have broken or hit something but turning places a fair amount of stress and strain on the tire sidewalls and suspension --- don't be alarmed.
Some members have gone to the bigger axles and tires to take some of the load off the present set-up and by doing so, adding a greater margin of safety and peace-of-mind.