Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
Paddler

Air springs/Air bags

Just ordered an Air Lift loadlifter 5000 spring set and on-board compressor, for my 07 GMC Sierra 2500. Has anyone installed a set of air bags on a Chevy/GMC 2500? If so, how well do they work and how long did it take you to install the system?
Thanks,
Old 07-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
vwalla

I installed them in my 07 Ram 2500. It was very simple. I did not even lift the truck or take off the wheels. Not sure about GMC, but it is all about how much room you have. Makes a massive difference in hauling my 5'er. I did not get the compressor. I just popped the air tips out the back bumper. Took me about 3 hours.

Depending on the pin box weight, I add about 50 PSI in each and that keeps me level (my pin weight is 1795 for comparisoj). Hope this helps.

V
Old 07-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Txoutback

I'm weighing between Firestone air bags and Timbren enhancers (these used to be called helpers). They both have there pros and cons but my main concern is the air bags leaking over time. Is this still a concern?

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
antiqfreq

We went with the Firestone Ride Rite air bag system with the on-board compressor. Been in our truck about 4 years now - no problems and we've traveled the whole country.
We do not have a lift kit on our 4x4.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txoutback View Post
I'm weighing between Firestone air bags and Timbren enhancers (these used to be called helpers). They both have there pros and cons but my main concern is the air bags leaking over time. Is this still a concern?
To my knowledge their is only one manufacturer for the bags themselves. They are the same as used on commercial trucks and buses. They will last a long time. Mine will have their sixth birthday next month.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
Paddler

Thanks for the encouraging words. My GMC is only dropping about 2 inches with the 5er hooked up, but I know I'm pushing the truck's limits. Hopefully, the air bags will improve the ride and handling of the truck until I can move up to the one ton. I'll post my impressions of the system once I install it and get some miles towing with it.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:54 AM   #7
TAS

I have the firestones on mine and they work great. I carry a 20lb co2 bottle for airing needs and pump them uip to 60lbs once I'm all hooked up.
TAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
Paddler

Completed step A of the Air Lift air bag installation...Bags are installed and can be inflated with an external air source. The installation went pretty smooth, only problems were 1) I'm getting to old to be crawling around under a truck, and 2) 95 degrees F sure sapped what little stamina I had. It took me about 3 hours to install the bags.

Tomorrow, I hope to at least start step B, installing the on board air compressor and control panel. I imagine that will take as long as installing the air bags did. Don't think I'll last 3 hours after today's stint.

Looking forward to towing with the new Air Lift system.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #9
JimEli

I’m one step ahead of you. I installed the Air Lift bags a few weeks ago. Quick and easy, and they work as advertised.

I just finished the onboard compressor today. It took me 2 days and about 6-7 hours total to complete. I sort of planned and routed as I progressed, but if you plan ahead, you could probably save a few hours. Also, after the install was complete I had a terrible leak (20 psi would leak down in about 15 minutes). This system uses plenty of T-fittings. Those things are finicky. Make sure you cut the hoses square and clean (a razor blade worked well for me) and insure you fully seat the hose ends. I had to redo all of my fittings to chase down the leak.

BTW, I found out late in the game that the hose can be removed from the T-fitting by simply pressing the green plastic base inward and pulling the hose out. A 3/8” open end wrench works well to press evenly on the green clamp.

Good luck.
JimEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:09 AM   #10
Paddler

Hi JimEli,
Thanks for the tips on the "T" fittings. So far I have only used one. Good to know the tubing will pull out, I was wondering how I was going to manage clean, square cuts on tubing already connected to the air bags.

Yesterday, connected the truck to the 5er, and using a 12V stand alone air compressor was able to level out the truck. Looked like it took 40-50 psi (don't really trust the guage on that compressor). Looking forward to towing with the system.

Now that I know I have a working manual system, I may hold off on installing the on board compressor until the weather cools off a bit...guess that would be in November...
Old 08-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #11
Paddler

We just returned from a extended weekend trip and I wanted to post some observations on the air bags. I still have not installed the onboard compressor so...I inflated the air bags to 44 lbs on the way out and 50 lbs on the return trip.

The ride was somewhat different. There seemed to be a lot less "chucking" of the 5er hitch and running across small bumps in the road seemed a lot less harsh than without the air bags.

However, hitting larger expansion joints caused the truck/trailer to oscillate. Not to a dangerous level but it certainly got my attention! To me, it seemed like because the truck was level and most of the weight of the trailer was supported by the air bags, there wasn't enough motion transmittted to the shock absorbers so they had limited ability to dampen the oscillations.

On our next excusion, I'll sag the rear of the truck slightly and see if having more shock travel will reduce the truck/trailer oscillations.

Anyone else have similiar experience with air bags?

Old 08-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #12
Fuzion302TEIII

So I'm curious, any specific reasons why you picked the Airlift system over another, ie Firestone?? I'm shopping now for a set, have the same year/model GMC as yours and about the same size trailer in a toyhauler. Clearly I need to do something for the poor truck!
Fuzion302TEIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:52 AM   #13
antiqfreq

Paddler,

We have a different set up then you do, but we set ours at about 30-35 lbs when traveling and we sit level and no problems with the ride.

Of course if you are on Route 66 in California - watch out- nothing will help you! ha ha ha

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #14
Paddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzion302TEIII View Post
So I'm curious, any specific reasons why you picked the Airlift system over another, ie Firestone?? I'm shopping now for a set, have the same year/model GMC as yours and about the same size trailer in a toyhauler. Clearly I need to do something for the poor truck!
Real simple anwser. I owned Firestone 500's in the mid-70s and Firestone Wilderness in the late 90s...I'll never own a Firestone product again.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #15
DTJ9610

About how much did the AirLift 5000's run you - without the compressor.

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
Paddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTJ9610 View Post
About how much did the AirLift 5000's run you - without the compressor.
I purchased both units from Amazon.com, $250 for the air bags/springs and $170 for the air compressor with a $75 mail in rebate on the combined purchase along with free shipping.

To be fair, the Firestone Ryde Rite air bags/springs cost about the same, the Firestone compressor looks more heavy duty than the base Air Lift compressor but it cost about $150 more after you subtract the mail in rebate.

Regardless of which system you purchase, I highly recomment getting the on-board compressor. I haven't installed mine yet, but I can really see the advantage to being able to adjust the bags from the cab. Yes, it will increase the cost and installation time (if you are a do-it-yourself kinda guy) but it will make the system a whole lot more driver friendly. With the on board system just one trip and you would have the pressure dialed in. Without it, I'm still guessing at a pressure. Having the truck level is only half of the equation.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #17
DTJ9610

I had the firestone installed on my minivan when I was pulling a '17. They were tied together with a "T" joint so the air was the same between the 2. Can this be done with the ones on the truck or should they both be seperate lines?

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #18
Paddler

You can can set them up either way. The Air Lift came with all the parts required to do either setup. I set mine up for parallel operation like your last setup.