Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2017, 09:40 AM   #1
msubobcats

Water heater anode question

Just curious how long the anode can/might last? After we put everything in a storage unit and came back to move our Daughter and SIP into our old home we are camping in our rv spot at the house. FYI, we have had this 1 year and 8 months...
The last two times we have used the shower the hot water has not lasted long. Thinking the anode has probably pretty much disintegrated. Without shutting everything down and pulling it does that sound like a good possibilty. Have now switched power off and am heating with gas... Will know for sure when we get to Idaho and I winterize.
Thank you
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
Jens Weber

I replace the anode rod every 10 to 12 months. Depending on the water quality where we have been it is mostly or totally gone. It doesn't matter if you use electric or propane for the heating.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk
2022 Passport 189 RB
2014 Ford F150 XLT
Jens Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:05 PM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by msubobcats View Post
Just curious how long the anode can/might last? After we put everything in a storage unit and came back to move our Daughter and SIP into our old home we are camping in our rv spot at the house. FYI, we have had this 1 year and 8 months...
The last two times we have used the shower the hot water has not lasted long. Thinking the anode has probably pretty much disintegrated. Without shutting everything down and pulling it does that sound like a good possibilty. Have now switched power off and am heating with gas... Will know for sure when we get to Idaho and I winterize.
Thank you
The anode won't directly affect how well the HW heater works. Your HW is either a 6 or 10 gallon tank. If you aren't taking navy showers, it's unrealistic to expect the hot water to last very long. That's why the shower heads that come in RV's have a shut-off right in the handle.

The anode is there to prevent or slow down corrosion of the tank itself by attracting elements in the water that are chemically corrosive. As long as there is about 1 third or more of the anode material, you really don't need to replace it. Mine was about 1/3 gone at the beginning of this season, and it's been in there since the unit was new. YMMV!!!

A more concerning issue is the sediment from the slow disintegration of the anode. If the tank isn't flushed and cleaned, that sediment can build up to the point that it may interfere with water flow.

You really don't have to "shut the whole system down" to inspect the anode rod. Simply shut off the water heater (both propane and electric) and flip the winterize bypass. That will isolate the heater from the rest of the water system and you can safely pull the anode, drain and inspect the tank and the anode. They sell a little wand that for reaching into the tank to flush out the sediment. When you are done, re-install the anode, flip the bypass back, open a hot water faucet and allow the tank to refill. The open faucet allows the air in the tank to escape as it fills. Once you are certain that the tank is full, then turn the heating back on.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

As mentioned, the anode rod has nothing to do with heating the water.
If you are running out of hot water when showering try using both LP and electric to heat the water. We leave ours on electric all day to maintain temperature and then turn gas on for showers. Also changing to an Oxygenics showerhead well help a lot. JM2¢, Hank ........ The shut-off in the wand is designed to dribble to maintain temp while in the off position is a plus too.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:26 PM   #5
msubobcats

We do take navy showers. Was just curious that the last week we have been running out of hot water. Thought maybe the anode had left the building.
May then try to turn on both gas and electric to help with recovery.
Appreciate the input.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
Desert185

My 2014 anode is still the original. Pull yours to see what it looks like. What year is your trailer?

If you open the overpressure valve before pulling the anode it will tend to flush any anode debris more effectively.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:53 PM   #7
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
The shut-off in the wand is designed to dribble to maintain temp while in the off position is a plus too.
Somehow that just doesn't seem to work quite right in every TT/5er I've ever had. I still have to turn the head away from me for a couple of seconds to allow that blast of cold water to hit something besides me!

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #8
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Somehow that just doesn't seem to work quite right in every TT/5er I've ever had. I still have to turn the head away from me for a couple of seconds to allow that blast of cold water to hit something besides me!
+1

I read somewhere that you can put a one-way valve in the hot line to the shower and help with the "cold blast", I have not done it though.

-Brian
Old 10-11-2017, 03:37 PM   #9
cpaulsen

With our 19 gallon tank and Oxygenics shower head......we never turn the shower when taking a shower.......and never run out of hot water just on electric. I pull my anode rod about 2 times a year and about everyother ime I just replace it. I always carry a spare.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:43 PM   #10
cathcartww

If the water used to run hotter and longer, you might have cross connected the cold and hot water systems somewhere. For instance, if you leave the outside shower valves open, and only shut off the water at the spray head, the cold water will flow to the hotwater side and back up into the hotwater side.

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:58 PM   #11
msubobcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathcartww View Post
If the water used to run hotter and longer, you might have cross connected the cold and hot water systems somewhere. For instance, if you leave the outside shower valves open, and only shut off the water at the spray head, the cold water will flow to the hotwater side and back up into the hotwater side.
Have done nothing. It was all of a sudden.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:11 PM   #12
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by msubobcats View Post
Have done nothing. It was all of a sudden.
Have you or have had the thermostat looked at to see if it is cutting out as it should @ 120* or 140* depending on which one it has? How is the water temp on gas only?
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:26 PM   #13
dcg9381

I pulled mine out after a year and it was almost totally gone. I was really surprised. If I recall right, there are two varieties of materials...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater