Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
emt

Keystone Quality

Bought my 2009 keystone Springsdale at a dealer about 75 miles away. I didnt think this was going to be a issue, since my last camper I had for 5 years of a different brand and never had a single issue. This camper, since I purchased it I have numerous issues, water leak in lines, water pump, window with no caulking around seal, electric jack fuses blowing, wiring issues, decals peeling and plastic vents and gas tank cover with cracks and needing replacements. I store the camper indoors in the winter, so I thought these plastic parts becoming brittle very premature. I bought the extended warranty when I bought the camper and thought it was a good Idea, it doesn't cover much, and the deductible is high, my mistake. I thought of later on buying a fifth wheel when I retire and travel. My wife and I always love the montana's, but with the issues I have experienced with this keystone model I am doubtful I will purchase another model. I feel as though I bought a lemon, I don't feel I should run into so many issues this early with the camper and feel like some of these items are a result of cheaper, lower cost parts for the company to make a profit at the consumers expense. Its a shame because its such a beautiful camper, and I am stuck with it for a while.
emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
LeeMedic

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
Bought my 2009 keystone Springsdale at a dealer about 75 miles away. I didnt think this was going to be a issue, since my last camper I had for 5 years of a different brand and never had a single issue. This camper, since I purchased it I have numerous issues, water leak in lines, water pump, window with no caulking around seal, electric jack fuses blowing, wiring issues, decals peeling and plastic vents and gas tank cover with cracks and needing replacements. I store the camper indoors in the winter, so I thought these plastic parts becoming brittle very premature. I bought the extended warranty when I bought the camper and thought it was a good Idea, it doesn't cover much, and the deductible is high, my mistake. I thought of later on buying a fifth wheel when I retire and travel. My wife and I always love the montana's, but with the issues I have experienced with this keystone model I am doubtful I will purchase another model. I feel as though I bought a lemon, I don't feel I should run into so many issues this early with the camper and feel like some of these items are a result of cheaper, lower cost parts for the company to make a profit at the consumers expense. Its a shame because its such a beautiful camper, and I am stuck with it for a while.
EMT, I have had a few issues myself with leaking water lines, weak drawer rails, the clothes rod lasted one trip. I made some mods myself. Also the swivel rocker and love seat were not very comfortable so replaced them with Lazy-Boys.
I had the front of the trailer bubble up and crack and Keystone says it is cosmetic only.

There are some things I don't like, but overall I love my Sprinter.

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Paul and Rhonda

LeeMedic

What did they or you do about your "drawer" situation, I am currently have issues.

Paul and Rhonda
Paul and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul and Rhonda View Post
What did they or you do about your "drawer" situation, I am currently have issues.

Paul and Rhonda
The drawer rails are very poorly constructed. They are put together using scrap pieces if luan and staples. That needs to be replaced with plywood and screws.
If you look at the horizontal support, you will see one screw somewhere close to the middle. This one screw allows the drawer assembly to rotate as the trailer is moving and that is what caused the drawer railes to come apart. Another screw through that horizontal support into the paneling behind it will stop that movement. Also, the small screws that attach the drawer rails to the inside front of the openings need to be replaced with longer screws. All of this should take care of your drawer issues.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:22 AM   #5
Dadstoy

I have found our new Summerland to be made with the least expensive material and appliances Keystone could find. A stove and hot water heater without a pilot light. A stove vent you have to latch and unlatch outside. Cabinet doors that are warped and cracked. Plastic entrance door prop that has broken 3 times. 1/8'' plywood under beds. Bath room door with out a lock. I could go on and on. Its all cheap stuff. My local Keystone dealer has his hands full. They just shake their heads when they see some of this stuff.
Dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadstoy View Post
I have found our new Summerland to be made with the least expensive material and appliances Keystone could find. A stove and hot water heater without a pilot light. A stove vent you have to latch and unlatch outside..
Dadstoy -

Pilot lights on stoves- except for many ovens - are not found on most modern RV's built today. They were, however, commonly found on older RV's. I remember having to go outside and light the HW tank on several of our first RV's and it always seemed to be either windy, rainy or both.

Since then pilot lights have been replaced with electronic ignition systems and/or piezo-type lighters on nearly all makes of RV - not just Keystone.

The exterior stove vent is something many of today's RV's would love to have rather than the non-vented system that is often found today. It is hinged and latched so that when you are travelling down the road, it doesn't bang and flap about - and probably break in the process. It is a bit of a nuisance have to remember to unlatch/latch the flap but it is far better than not having an outside stove vent at all. Again, this is just not a Keystone thing.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
Dadstoy

I still call it cheap. No matter who builds it. Don't get me wrong, I still like my new camper. Its just the way they cut corners building it .
Dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
safd18fire

Most RV's are built fairly cheap now. It doesn't really matter which brand you have, they all have their problems. Springdale though is one of Keystone's cheaper lines so I would expect to see cheaper materials being used in them. I guess you get what you pay for. Pretty sad though, it would be nice if stuff would last more than one or two trips.
safd18fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
danimal

I believe that overall, the manufacturing quality has decreased over the years. However, the new trailers have many more features and better layouts than older trailers. I have had a 1998 TT, a 2008 TT and now a 2005 5er. They are all from different manufacturers and none are high end trailers. The 1998 TT had far better quality materials and better craftsmanship than the 2008 TT. Our newest to us is the 2005 5er and seems higher quality than the 2008 TT. The cabinets are not warping, the carpeting is much higher quality and the walls an ceiling are not bowing and coming apart like the 2008 TT (no, there were no leaks). It seemed like the 2008 was built from scraps. That is just my 2 cents worth.
2005 Keystone Hornet 245RKS
2008 Gulf Stream Trailmaster M220
Cobia 220 Walkaround w/Yamaha 200 OX-66 Fuel injection
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Dadstoy,

Springdale is Keystone's "most inexpensive" model line and Summerland is the "cheap version" of Springdale's lineup. So, as stated, you get what you pay for and with Summerland, you're paying for a very BASIC, no frills model of the "entry line" RV. It is constructed with inexpensive materials, wood frame, lightweight materials, no frills appliances and furniture, the CHEAPEST mattress available in RV sizes and carpet/vinyl flooring that wouldn't hold up in a normal use environment in most homes. Summerland is the "Dollar Store" version of RVing. It does fit a "niche" in camping and serves it owners well.

As for having to go outside to open the range vent, I had to do that on my Holiday Rambler and also on my Airstream. Thankfully, Keystone builds their range vents with the "locking door" so wind won't blow through the RV when you close the vent. That's a design feature, not a "cheap version" As for no pilot light on the hot water heater. Only the basic model Surburban still comes with a pilot light. Nearly all have the "upgraded" DSI electronic ignition. Stove top burners don't have pilot lights any longer because they are a source of Carbon Monoxide, a deadly gas and because they produce heat which is an "unwanted evil" when dry camping in warm weather. Some models have a piezo-electric igniter, others simply leave it up to the operator to light the stovetop burners with a match or lighter. All ovens do have a pilot light (or upgraded electronic ignition). As for a bathroom door lock, I haven't seen any RV with a lock on the bath door in the past 30+ years. Some don't even have doors, rather a lightweight curtain or a folding accordion door.

You're right, it's all "cheap stuff" because Summerland is a "cheap trailer" It's purpose is to get a certain income bracket family into camping in a vehicle they can afford. It serves it purpose for most buyers. Surely you looked at the trailer and noticed those items you're complaining about before you purchased it???? If not, maybe your dealer can trade you into a "less inexpensive" model ??? Expect that the majority of the items you find "at fault" in your Summerland will also be present in all "mid level" and even most "high end" RV's.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
x96mnn

One product line has a the same floor plan length and weights 4500pds and cost 15k. The same floor plan and length in another product line weighs 6500pds and cost 30k.

I believe the variance is why some people have no issues and others have nothing but. Not saying it's right but it is what it is.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote