Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2017, 01:11 PM   #21
SCGatl

OK, so 175LHS is now down at hunt camp, and the fust problem continues. It is not the polarity fuse, it is the one right above it.

Nothing is labeled in my panel. All are 15A except the bottom one.

Here is what is happening:

Generator runs out of gas while AC is running. Fuse blows.
Generator runs out of gas while nothing is running. Fuse blows.
Generator is shut off while nothing is running. Fuse blows.
Disconnect from shore power while nothing is running. Fuse blows.

Used power meter suggested above - only thing that I can tell is on that circuit is the CO2 sensor at 0.2A.

When inserting new fuse, terminals spark. Once fuse is in, the fan in the converter/inverter runs for about 15 seconds, then stops. Everything good again until switching from AC to battery power. When the fuse is blown, nothing DC works.

I also don't feel the battery is being charged, after running the generator for 12 hours, the battery meter (stock) shows 75%.

Thanks for any help! What would be wrong with the converter? It can't handle the cutover from AC to DC.

Steve
SCGatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:42 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

What brand/model converter is installed in your trailer? I'd suspect it's a WFCO 8955. That is a 30 amp (AC power) center (30 amp shore power input) with a WFCO 55 amp (DC) converter/fuse panel. Is that correct? If so, then there are two "reverse polarity fuses, one above the other. Both are the same amperage (in my trailer they are 40 amp fuses). From your statement: "It is not the polarity fuse, it is the one right above it." it sounds like someone may have installed an incorrect fuse in your converter's reverse polarity circuit.

At any rate, the two reverse polarity fuses "should be" the same amperage, probably 40 amps and even though the other fuse positions are rated "up to 20 amps" the vast majority of Keystone's wiring only supports 15 amps, and that's what you'll find in the fuse positions.

As for your statements, I'll address each one with a comment:
Generator runs out of gas while AC is running. Fuse blows. (the AC running has nothing to do with 12 VDC power except the single wire that powers the thermostat, so there should be no DC power fluctuation and no fuse "should blow")
Generator runs out of gas while nothing is running. Fuse blows. (In this situation, even the thermostat 12 volt power would not be powered, so there's nothing that's 12 VDC operational that would "load a DC circuit")
Generator is shut off while nothing is running. Fuse blows. (again, with nothing running, there should be no DC power and no load on any fuse)
Disconnect from shore power while nothing is running. Fuse blows. (Same response, same result, there should be no DC load)

I guess my final question (or uncertainty) is "Exactly which fuse is blowing?" If it's the top reverse polarity fuse, and it's not a 40 amp fuse, then I'd suspect that someone installed the incorrect fuse. If that's not the fuse that is blowing, then which one is it?????

EDIT: Added: Upon looking at your trailer model, you don't have a "wall mounted thermostat" for the air conditioner. It is (I believe) a "through the wall" window unit installed in the sidewall of your trailer. If that's correct, then there is no 12 VDC power to the thermostat in your A/C system. So, in your "list of conditions" the Air conditioner operational status would not affect the thermostat power, so any 12 VDC fuse loading would not be affected by the air conditioner power whether it's off or on when removing shore power/generator power from the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:14 PM   #23
SCGatl

Thanks,

You are right it is a through the wall unit, no thermostat. The unit is a WFCO ULTRA III Power Center.

My trailer is about 130 miles away at the moment, so all I know for sure is that it is the next one up from the bottom that is blowing.

I agree nothing should be causing the fuse to blow with no load - what would cause this to consistently occur when disconnecting AC power from either a generator or shore power?
Old 09-24-2017, 02:16 PM   #24
SCGatl

Model is either WF-8735P or WF-8740P....manual does not state fuse ratings or much else of use
Old 09-24-2017, 02:45 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

The owner's manual for the 8700 series power centers show a total of 8 DC fuse slots. The top 6 are for "DC circuits" the bottom two (plural) are for Reverse Polarity. According to the data in the owner's manual, the top 4 are max 20 amp circuits, slots 5 & 6 are max 30 amp (for slides, etc) and then the bottom two (again plural) are the reverse polarity fuses.

You can download the owner's manual here: http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten...ors-Manual.pdf

Based on what you're describing, I still suspect that you've got a "too small" fuse in the top Reverse polarity socket. Both of those should be the same rating.

Once you get back to the trailer, possibly you can take some pictures of what is actually installed so we can see the fuses and ratings? That may help identify something that's "not quite right"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #26
SCGatl

Update Oct 9th No Battery Power

Since the fuse had blown when I left, and I had connected the generator upon arrival this past weekend, I put a 30A fuse in place before turning off anything running (except CO2 monitor) and turned the generator off.

I had DC power, so the 30A did not blow when I turned off the generator. Panel pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2230.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	14284   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2231.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	14285  
Old 10-09-2017, 08:29 AM   #27
B-O-B'03

I believe both of the reverse polarity fuses should be 40 amp. It looks like you have a 30 and a 40.

I would replace the 30 with a 40.

-Brian
Old 10-09-2017, 09:10 AM   #28
hankpage
Site Team

The way I am reading the manual and the labels in your photos .... you have only one reverse polarity fuse (40amp) one 30amp for slide-out fuse and five 15amp circuits for accessories. If you are operating the slide with a low battery or without shore power the 30amp might blow. (low voltage = high amp draw)
Is the slide being moved when the fuse is blowing??? Has anything else been added to this circuit??? Check the wiring in junction boxes that feed the slide for frayed or pulled out wires ... they may be shorting with movement in trailer and blowing the fuse. As usual JM2¢, Hank
Be sure that battery and shore (or gen) power are disconnected before inspecting junctions and connections.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #29
SCGatl

Hi BOB03 - there was a 15 in it when I got it, and I had stepped up to a 20 which also blew, and now a 30 which so far hasn't but only after one time of turning the generator off. I don't know anything about these units, but am wondering what is causing an amperage spike that would blow a 20A fuse in the first place. With nothing on, I don't get what is causing the current draw from the battery, or what would be allowing any capacitance to be occurring from disconnecting generator or shore 120v power.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #30
SCGatl

Hi Hank - I don't have a slide in the 175LHS Hideout, nor is there anything at all turned on (except the CO2 sensor at 0.2A and microwave display) when this is happening.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd suggest a phone call to WFCO's technical support section. Here's why I suggest that: There are two different descriptions of the WFCO 8700 series 35 and 40 amp (8735/8740) models. On page 2 of the owner's manual, in the section about DC fuse protection, the manual states:
"DC Fuses
- Six 12 Vdc circuits (including one battery circuit, one circuit for slideouts)
- Maximum of 30 Adc fuse for DC circuits 5 and 6 (all others max. 20 Adc)
- Reverse battery protection fuse; replace with ATC “Littelfuse ” Type 257 fuse" (That's 7 fuse slots)

On page 4, figure 3 clearly shows 8 fuse slots (6 circuit slots and 2 reverse polarity slots)

So, either there's a problem with the description or there's a problem with the illustration. Both can't be correct. As Hank indicated a couple posts ago, it appears that you've got only one RP fuse slot, or is it possible that you used a camera angle that obscured the top fuse in the photo????

Something's not right, either in the photo you provided, in the illustration or the description in the owner's manual.

ADDED: Thinking about the problem and the application in your trailer, it seems to me that the fuse that's blowing is probably the one being used to connect to the battery. That would mean (if my assumption is correct) that the suspect fuse is controlling power during charging and discharging the battery. So, when you're connected to the generator/shore power that fuse is supplying amperage to the battery and as soon as the generator/shore power stops, that "amperage" reverses and starts flowing from the battery into the DC power section. So, a bad battery, either from a dead cell or from a shorted cell would cause an increased amp draw causing the fuse to blow.

I'd suggest you disconnect the battery (isolate it from the system) replace that fuse with a 15 amp (what was previously installed) and try to duplicate the problem by powering on the air conditioner and then turning off the generator. My guess is that the fuse won't blow. If so, then I'd suspect the battery and go from there by troubleshooting the battery, not the power center..... This is just a hunch, I'd still suggest you confirm from WFCO just why their owner's manual has two different depictions of how many fuses are in that model...... Something's not right with the manual and/or the way it's described and how it's built......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-09-2017, 11:29 AM   #32
SCGatl

Update No Battery Power

Thanks, I will call them - the model I have is WF-8735-P, and the pic isn't the best. It is not well illuminated, I will get a better picture next time I am at camp. To the best of my knowledge there are 7 slots. Here is a zoomed and cropped pic of the previous one. Can't read the small print on the board..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panel.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	14289  
Old 10-09-2017, 11:38 AM   #33
SCGatl

Spoke to WFCO

Tech confirmed that the 6th slot should be a 30A fuse, so the hand writing on the cover is wrong, and I will give it some time to make sure there isn't anything else going on.

I truly appreciate all of the replies, this is a great group!

Steve

Tags
battery, power