Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #1
ResidentStranger

Water damage at delivery

Just picked up my first travel trailer 2 weeks ago and the first time it rains the floor in the slide is all wet. Floor below the slide is also rough like it's got water damage. This is going to cost me 2 trips to the dealer and God only knows how long it'll take to replace the floor....I'm thinking I should be getting some compensation to cover my gas/time to haul it in considering it was already screwed up on delivery. Really pathetic frankly to buy a brand new unit and it's already damaged. Frankly feel ripped off I got sold this thing only to have to put it in the shop immediately.

This is my first time at this - what should I expect from the dealer? All they've offered is to fix it - which is obvious. Shouldn't they have noticed this before delivering it?
ResidentStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
66joej

You have my sympathies and agree the dealer should have spotted this. As far as getting reimbursed for fuel and time I doubt that will happen. Good luck and hope all gets done right to your satisfaction.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

You won't receive compensation. Hopefully you will get it fixed; IF you and the dealer present it properly to Keystone; NOT lack of maintenance, mal adjustments etc. Floor below the slide ALREADY appears to be damaged by water damage.....did you look it over top to bottom before you bought it??

I know that it's hard to take but buying a trailer with obvious damage (even though you didn't look for it) is like buying a car and then finding the frame was bent, welded and it's now not square. Everything is not someone else's fault. Do they make poor, faulty products? Absolutely. Who is the stop gap to make sure you don't buy it?.......You.

I understand, and feel for you....I've been there. I put my trailer in the shop for 4 months of the first year I owned it. Nothing that a PDI could find but a road trip or 2 sure did. Wish you well on getting the repairs.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:30 PM   #4
Jeepshots

Good luck with the fixes, and welcome to the forums!
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:00 PM   #5
nellie1289

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You won't receive compensation. Hopefully you will get it fixed; IF you and the dealer present it properly to Keystone; NOT lack of maintenance, mal adjustments etc. Floor below the slide ALREADY appears to be damaged by water damage.....did you look it over top to bottom before you bought it??

I know that it's hard to take but buying a trailer with obvious damage (even though you didn't look for it) is like buying a car and then finding the frame was bent, welded and it's now not square. Everything is not someone else's fault. Do they make poor, faulty products? Absolutely. Who is the stop gap to make sure you don't buy it?.......You.

I understand, and feel for you....I've been there. I put my trailer in the shop for 4 months of the first year I owned it. Nothing that a PDI could find but a road trip or 2 sure did. Wish you well on getting the repairs.
I don't agree with this. if you buy a new car and the roof leaks its warrantied. For example 2014/2015 rams are notorious for having the third brake light leak, ruining the head liner. This is a similar situation. They will fix it for sure at no expense in the first year.

Now, I also had a similar situation. my entire roof peeled back at the front cap at 13 months. Not only was I past warranty, keystone still fixed it because they knew this simply should not happen on a very new unit. I had had a host of other issues like blown grease seals, brakes, and a host of other things all in the first year so that probably helped, and I even got reimbursed for some other out of pocket expenses. Keystone will do the right thing if you CALL them directly if the dealer is not so friendly. I think many dealers will do the right thing. I would see if they would throw in some goodies at cost, maybe some vent covers, or other upgrade items where it costs them minimal to do it for the time you are out of service.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:21 AM   #6
tbfoxrdms

I had 4 warranty repairs my first year that required a visit by a mobile technician. One of the repairs was an improperly wired air conditioner j-box that, had the circuit not tripped, would have burnt the camper down with us in it. They paid for the repair but would not pay for the $75 service fee. I thought they should pay because it was a wiring issue from the factory. Nope. You get what's in the warranty and not a penny more. Good luck with your camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tbfoxrdms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:03 AM   #7
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentStranger View Post
Just picked up my first travel trailer 2 weeks ago and the first time it rains the floor in the slide is all wet. Floor below the slide is also rough like it's got water damage. This is going to cost me 2 trips to the dealer and God only knows how long it'll take to replace the floor....I'm thinking I should be getting some compensation to cover my gas/time to haul it in considering it was already screwed up on delivery. Really pathetic frankly to buy a brand new unit and it's already damaged. Frankly feel ripped off I got sold this thing only to have to put it in the shop immediately.

This is my first time at this - what should I expect from the dealer? All they've offered is to fix it - which is obvious. Shouldn't they have noticed this before delivering it?
What are your expectations? How do you think the dealer should handle this? Was the slide in or out? Have you used the unit?

Talk to the dealer and see how close they come to meeting your expectations. Let them know what your expectations are. Be firm but not...remember, keep a cool head. If you have never used the unit you may ask for a replacement. Who knows what may happen.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:59 AM   #8
tbfoxrdms

Keystone doesn't cover water damage from leaks, but if Service deems it a problem with seal installation or something it should be covered. I agree that a camper right off the dealer's lot should NOT have significant problems, including leaks, but sadly most of us know that isn't the case.
tbfoxrdms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:36 AM   #9
Tbos

Hope you get the issues taken care of by the warranty. Good luck.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:43 AM   #10
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! Good luck with your repairs. Cool head, firm requests, and stay on the dealer is your best bet.

It was mentioned before, but I'll ask again, did you do a PDI before you bought?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #11
ResidentStranger

What's a PDI?

No idea what a PDI is. For clarification I used the trailer a few days after picking it up, it rained and the floor became wet. There was nothing obvious at pickup wrong. I had to look very closely at the slide to see the calking isn't sealed well on the floor on one side leading to a leak. Further inspection the floor is bumpy near the poor seal - it's far from obvious and just as someone else pointed out - it's not like you inspect your new vehicle when you pick it up in large detail given its brand new AND comes with a warranty to cover broken items....which the dealer is fine with fixing - just disappointing to have to deal with this with a brand new unit.

Reading some of these comments it sounds like the RV market can be pretty shady which I wouldn't have expected. Most folks aren't RV inspection experts when they're buying a new vehicle - that's unrealistic to expect and I don't think anyone expects that. If it was used - I can see the buyer beware mentality but that's not what I was thinking new...I paid for a perfect, new unit and expect to get that...which is what the warranty is for right?
ResidentStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:45 AM   #12
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

PDI is pre delivery inspection. It is when the dealer takes you through the unit to show how everything works, that it all works and to answer your questions. It can take anywhere from 1 to 4 hours depending on the buyer and if you are using a checklist.

The RV dealer system is nothing like a new car dealer system. Lots of info about it on this forum. We're here to help, just asking questions to know what has happened already.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #13
nellie1289

The fact is no dealer is going to deny leak warranty claim like Op's 1 week after you drive it off. its more of an inconvenience thing that anything.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
Old 05-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
I don't agree with this. if you buy a new car and the roof leaks its warrantied. For example 2014/2015 rams are notorious for having the third brake light leak, ruining the head liner. This is a similar situation. They will fix it for sure at no expense in the first year.

Now, I also had a similar situation. my entire roof peeled back at the front cap at 13 months. Not only was I past warranty, keystone still fixed it because they knew this simply should not happen on a very new unit. I had had a host of other issues like blown grease seals, brakes, and a host of other things all in the first year so that probably helped, and I even got reimbursed for some other out of pocket expenses. Keystone will do the right thing if you CALL them directly if the dealer is not so friendly. I think many dealers will do the right thing. I would see if they would throw in some goodies at cost, maybe some vent covers, or other upgrade items where it costs them minimal to do it for the time you are out of service.

Good for you. I've also had warranty work performed past the 12 month warranty period but I think we will be in the minority. I wouldn't say Keystone "will" do the right thing if you call them directly, I believe many here might disagree, but maybe they "might" do the right thing if the case is presented properly. If the dealer is "not so friendly" I'm afraid you're going to have a heck of a time getting anything done since Keystone will not work with you directly.

In the OPs case I would follow the advice given by several; go in and tell them your expectations in a civil, level headed manner. Be persistent and see where it goes. Know that if you get it fixed it would be great; if you get more than that it's just gravy. In this case I don't think Keystone will deny repairs of the leak. Tacking other things on will be an uphill battle IMO. BTW: I had my trailer to the dealer for warranty work more times than I can remember. There was no "compensation" for all of the time and money I spent getting it to/from them including during some very critical family times. I was just happy I got things fixed.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #15
heiserk0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbfoxrdms View Post
Keystone doesn't cover water damage from leaks, but if Service deems it a problem with seal installation or something it should be covered. I agree that a camper right off the dealer's lot should NOT have significant problems, including leaks, but sadly most of us know that isn't the case.
How can Keystone not cover water damage from a leak on a brand new rig? That makes zero sense right there.
heiserk0410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #16
nellie1289

Quote:
Good for you. I've also had warranty work performed past the 12 month warranty period but I think we will be in the minority. I wouldn't say Keystone "will" do the right thing if you call them directly, I believe many here might disagree, but maybe they "might" do the right thing if the case is presented properly. If the dealer is "not so friendly" I'm afraid you're going to have a heck of a time getting anything done since Keystone will not work with you directly.

In the OPs case I would follow the advice given by several; go in and tell them your expectations in a civil, level headed manner. Be persistent and see where it goes. Know that if you get it fixed it would be great; if you get more than that it's just gravy. In this case I don't think Keystone will deny repairs of the leak. Tacking other things on will be an uphill battle IMO. BTW: I had my trailer to the dealer for warranty work more times than I can remember. There was no "compensation" for all of the time and money I spent getting it to/from them including during some very critical family times. I was just happy I got things fixed.

Good for me? lol. I simply said in a polite manner I don't agree. By the way he already said they are covering it, so what is the issue here .
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
Old 05-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
Good for me? lol. I simply said in a polite manner I don't agree. By the way he already said they are covering it, so what is the issue here .
Sorry if I seemed impolite - I didn't mean to be. I meant "good for you" exactly how I said....I thought. I think it is good for you that you got warranty work completed after the warranty period...about the same as I said for myself when my work was done. I'm sorry if you misinterpreted it.

Yes, I think the issue for the OP is going to be covered as he said, but as a new RV owner my only thoughts are to keep expectations in line with the remedies I've seen in the past so that they won't be really upset if Keystone doesn't come up with lots of "extra compensation" on top of fixing the RV. That's all.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:46 AM   #18
nellie1289

Quote:
Sorry if I seemed impolite - I didn't mean to be. I meant "good for you" exactly how I said....I thought. I think it is good for you that you got warranty work completed after the warranty period...about the same as I said for myself when my work was done. I'm sorry if you misinterpreted it.

Yes, I think the issue for the OP is going to be covered as he said, but as a new RV owner my only thoughts are to keep expectations in line with the remedies I've seen in the past so that they won't be really upset if Keystone doesn't come up with lots of "extra compensation" on top of fixing the RV. That's all.
My bad, no harm no foul!
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
Old 05-24-2017, 12:02 PM   #19
dcg9381

What state are you in?
I've seen Keystone providing reimbursement in some cases, but it usually required some legal leverage. They don't have the best reputation for making customers happy (just my opinion) out of the gate beyond giving the dealer a shot at making a repair.

You have to deal with the dealer first. And it's critical that the dealer document all the damage, including damage to the wood on the floor. My guess is if you've got damage to the floor, this isn't the first time it got wet.

My dealer does a leak PDI - and found stuff last time my unit came back from Keystone. You can ask why that wasn't done and document your concerns. But the dealer does get "first pass" at fixing it. Leaks are tricky because Keystone can claim "lack of maintenance" - but it's pretty hard to claim that with a 2-week old trailer.

Probably not your thing either - but slides must be fully extended or retracted for best water-proof-ness. Not saying this is your issue.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage, water, water damage