Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2017, 06:24 AM   #1
shaner

Left pump on with no water in tank

I was disinfecting the fresh water tank on my new Passport 2920BH. I mistakenly left the pump on and then drained the tank and left it overnight. The next day I noticed that I could hear the pump from outside the trailer (not loud, but I could hear it). I went in and turned the pump off. I've since tested it and it seems to work fine.

I was under the impression that as long as there was no demand for water, the pump wouldn't run. Is that still the case even if the tank is empty, or will the pump constantly try to pressurize itself?

It appears to work, but what are the odds I've done some kind of damage to it by leaving it on and dry for 24 hours?

If the pump were to die, what do they generally cost to replace and is it hard to diy?
shaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:46 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Today's water pumps are significantly more durable than those from "back when". They are designed to "dry run" without damage. That said, continued operation can cause damage, but I'd say that if it's working, consider it operational and keep using it. You can buy replacement pumps anywhere from $50 to "north of $300". So, what you replace it with will determine how much it costs when (if) it fails. If you want to replace with a similar pump, it'll be around $75 to $100 for the pump. Installation costs can be as much or even more than the cost of the pump, so if you're handy, save yourself some money.

All said and done, your current pump may fail this weekend, or: It could run without a hic-cup for another 10 years.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:17 AM   #3
Double b

The pumps are designed to run without water as they are self priming.

They are regulated to stop pumping when water is present and a predetermined pressure is met on the out line. IE 55 - 65 PSI. They kick back on when the water pressure drops below the set pressure.

Just purchased a new pump for our camper as the original owner newer winterized it properly and the pump developed a hair line crack in the out line. Pump was only $56 off ebay.
Double b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water