Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2017, 07:28 AM   #1
JeLo

2 grey tanks but 1 valve

Last fall we bought this new to us 2012 5er Cougar HC 291 RLS. The display panel shows 2 gauges for grey tanks and 1 for black. I crawled under and couldn't find a second valve for the second grey tank. I read multiples threads on the subject I was even looking for that threaded shaft with a missing handle but to no avail. The gauge for 2nd grey tank is showing full but when I tried to dumped the grey nothing came out. So my question is, is there really a 2nd grey tank? Is it possible that the display panel is a generic one used on different models with 2 grey tanks?

One thing I noticed under the trailer is a 2in. pipe coming for the rear of the unit and connecting to the 3 in. black tank pipe with an elbow just before the valve. The grey tank valve is located about 2 ft. forward of the black tank valve.

JL
JeLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:42 AM   #2
Dhuhn

A lot of time that second handle is between the tires. I dont know if this will help you or not.

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:57 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

One tank is for the shower and vanity and the other is for the galley.(kitchen sink.) The tanks should be mounted in close proximity to the fixtures they are connected to. Look for the handles along the frame rail in front of or behind the wheels. The gray water line is much smaller than the waste line but in most cases connects to it. On some trailers the second gray tank has it's own sewer connection requiring another hose and a tee fitting. Follow the smaller drain pipe and you will find the valve even if the handle is missing. Good luck and enjoy your new to you rig, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:02 AM   #4
Tbos

Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. I have 2 grey tank indicators but only one grey tank. The 2nd always shows empty. If yours is full I'd agree you have a hidden valve somewhere. Hope you find it soon. Have fun in your rig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:17 AM   #5
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeLo View Post
Last fall we bought this new to us 2012 5er Cougar HC 291 RLS. The display panel shows 2 gauges for grey tanks and 1 for black. I crawled under and couldn't find a second valve for the second grey tank. I read multiples threads on the subject I was even looking for that threaded shaft with a missing handle but to no avail. The gauge for 2nd grey tank is showing full but when I tried to dumped the grey nothing came out. So my question is, is there really a 2nd grey tank? Is it possible that the display panel is a generic one used on different models with 2 grey tanks?

One thing I noticed under the trailer is a 2in. pipe coming for the rear of the unit and connecting to the 3 in. black tank pipe with an elbow just before the valve. The grey tank valve is located about 2 ft. forward of the black tank valve.

JL
If the grey valve you see is in front of the black valve and there is a pipe coming from the rear connecting to the 3" black pipe then I'd say you have two tanks and you need to follow the pipe coming from the rear to find the second valve. I have a similar setup and the second grey valve is up behind the tires on the frame. Would never have known it was there until I noticed a tiny little sticker on the side of the coach above the tires that said grey. Keep looking, it's bound to turn up. Black on black in the shadows is hard to see sometimes.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:40 AM   #6
Javi

Mine is on the 1 1/2" line at the elbow where it ties into the 3" outside feed.... the handle inconveniently points to the inside of the trailer and is invisible and nearly unreachable unless you kneel or crawl under the trailer...
Old 04-30-2017, 09:34 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

The handle for our 2nd gray tank is right in front of the front tire and comes through the frame. Not anything like the other two dump valves (small silver handle) and up high behind the skirting.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:30 AM   #8
JeLo

thank you all I found the valve! canesfan and sourdough were right, small black valve on the black frame in front of the front tire and really hard to see. I had to open the slide to find it. Now both my grey tank gauges reads empty.

thanks again everyone!

JL
JeLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:48 AM   #9
canesfan

Glad you found it and we could be of help. I almost added the part about the slide, but wasn't sure you had one there and didn't want to confuse the issue. Mine is easier to see and get to with the slide out, but I'm not putting the slide out at the dump station.

Tags
tank