Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
Kestrel1029

Question Awning cleaning

Hi all,

I am looking for any tip and/or products you have used to clean your awning. I've developed some dark stains on the underside of my awning. I've seen a few products but don't which ones work and which don't. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 04-28-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
canesfan

None of the touted "awning cleaners" I've ever tried has worked. I am still looking for something to clean the underside and get the black stains off.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:53 AM   #3
Tbos

If you do a search in the tech forum and upgrades and maintenance sections of the forum you will find a lot of threads on this. It seems like the last one I remember said something about a bleach and dish soap mixture You spray on then roll up the awning. After it sits for awhile you unroll and rinse. I use Clorox type wet ones to hit the spots and just wash the rest with soap and water.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:53 AM   #4
Kestrel1029

OK, thanks. if I find something, I'll be sure to post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
None of the touted "awning cleaners" I've ever tried has worked. I am still looking for something to clean the underside and get the black stains off.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
Mikesr

This works well if you first wet the awning then spray a liberal amount on the underside of the awning and roll it up for about 20 minutes depending on the heat and sun you could go longer. Unroll the awning and the scrub stubborn areas with a long handled brush, then rinse completely. If your awing is big consider doing this in sections. I always wear an old white shirt and old shorts since the bleach can really mess up clothing. Eye protection is now a bad idea either depends how sensitive you are.
Walmart brand is cheap and it's the same as Tilex brand.
Mikesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Have your tried Starbrite Mildew Stain Remover? I used it on my boats and then used it on my awning - took all the stains right off. Think I got it at Overton's marine but West Marine or other places probably carry it as well.

One word of caution that I didn't know about; when you spray it overhead and that mist/drops fall on you.....they contain bleach and will discolor your shirt I didn't know until the next day when my wife pointed out what I had done
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #7
Kestrel1029

OK, thanks. I might want to wear safety glasses too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Have your tried Starbrite Mildew Stain Remover? I used it on my boats and then used it on my awning - took all the stains right off. Think I got it at Overton's marine but West Marine or other places probably carry it as well.

One word of caution that I didn't know about; when you spray it overhead and that mist/drops fall on you.....they contain bleach and will discolor your shirt I didn't know until the next day when my wife pointed out what I had done
Old 04-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #8
jmak

I had a professional RV mobile retailed come out to clean and wax my RV a few months ago. Awning they just used a diluted bleach mixture on it.
jmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:27 AM   #9
canesfan

Quote:

I have not tried that. I haven't tried a bleach solution of any kind for just the reason you mention. But it's probably the only way to get it clean. Maybe a little garden tank sprayer and stand back might do the trick. Worth a try.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:45 AM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:

Hair already bleached white , no issue there
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:57 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

From now on I'm just going to wear a white t shirt and old pants. It comes in a spray bottle. I'm a little reluctant to use something like a garden sprayer and get the solution on everything including the side of the trailer. The spray bottle lets you pretty much pinpoint the area you want to work on and then go about it. It worked really well for me but I only had something like 2 strips across the awning where it had to sit in FL during bad weather and all sorts of stuff got in/on it......and sort of grew I guess
Old 04-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #12
canesfan

Mine sits half under pine trees in my yard and gets nasty with black stripes all the way up and down so I have to do the entire thing. I would have to think of a way of protecting the side of the trailer or hose it off immediately.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:06 PM   #13
dcg9381

For me, a diluted bleach solution with a sprayer, roll up awning wet, roll it back out in 15 minutes.. repeat as necessary to get clean.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Mine sits half under pine trees in my yard and gets nasty with black stripes all the way up and down so I have to do the entire thing. I would have to think of a way of protecting the side of the trailer or hose it off immediately.

I just use a ladder and begin spraying a swath across the awning. Let it sit a couple of minutes and DW uses a short extend a pole with a soft brush head on it and does a little scrubbing (doesn't take much at all). When we finish we spray the awning (lightly) with a garden hose sprayer as we quickly rub over it again with the brush (cleaned of any cleaner residue) then let dry. It's done a good job and is pretty quick.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #15
Richard Noble

Go to a dollar store and get a big bottle of Awesome. It has always worked for me and is (I think) much better then bleach. It is cheap, too.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:30 PM   #16
Vet4jdc

1 quart of bleach
3 quarts of water
1 big squirt of Dawn dishwashing detergent

Mix all in a pump type garden sprayer

Unroll awning and stand on a step ladder

Spray the top of the awning with the soapy mixture until entire awning is wet

Roll up awning and leave for 20-30 minutes

Unroll and rinse thoroughly

Wear old clothes (ask me how I know)

Awning will dry and look like new
Old 04-28-2017, 05:36 PM   #17
cpaulsen

I spray a mixture of bleach/Dawn dish soap and water in a sprayer and spray it underneath the awning...roll it up for about 20-30 minutes........unroll it.......hose it off with water and it comes out clean.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:39 PM   #18
66joej

So I've been standing underneath the awning to spray the mixture on. Now I feel like a doofus. Thanks.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:11 AM   #19
notanlines

Keep in mind that the bleach you are using might not be the best thing for the colors on top of the awning. When you roll it up you are coating those colors with the bleach. I'm just sayin'....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:41 AM   #20
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Keep in mind that the bleach you are using might not be the best thing for the colors on top of the awning. When you roll it up you are coating those colors with the bleach. I'm just sayin'....
Thought about that. Might forgo the rolling up part and just leave it out, scrub it, repeat. Thanks all for the tips. Have plenty of old clothes to wear.

Tags
awning