Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
CrazyCain

Up on the roof top top........

Being new to TT's having had Pop Ups all my life, the idea of this bad knees, bad back, 6' 220lb, can't stand heights and greater than middle age dude getting onto the roof of my Trailer is worry some to some degree to do inspections, repairs and spring cleaning, blah blah... if needed up there. Can this be achived by just using a ladder and reaching????? 18' X 9' roof.. laying and streching across to the mdddle maybe?? dunno, experts chime in!!!

Guess i could take it in to the dealer 2 hrs away, huh NAH!!!!!

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:03 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Get a longgggggg brooooooom......and an 18 year old skinny neighbor kid to do the odd job.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Most areas can be reached from a ladder and there is nothing wrong with crawling around if it makes you feel more comfortable. If you see anyone with a smirk on their face simply ask them for help and they will remember something they had to do. ... Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:15 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. My knees are no longer stable enough to get on the roof and try to navigate.

If you're just cleaning an extend a pole with a brush on the end will work. I use a tall A frame ladder for working the sides, cleaning, checking seals etc. I can check most vents and skylight. I can see the ACs pretty good but I take it inat least every year to have the roof done to maintain the extended warranty.
I also have an extendable ladder I use on the front because it is curved and the A frame just leaves you standing out in the middle of nowhere. Just be sure and cover the ends of the ladder so it doesn't scratch the trailer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #5
CrazyCain

I might end up rolling and flopping around like a fish up there Got the long handle for the broom and extenable ladders to hang around the side of it...

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 03-28-2017, 12:44 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Rolling around and flopping wouldn't be good. Figure that's where I would be too. The bad part would be rolling off of it. I had a friend that "rolled" off the top of his house working on the roof and landed on some material that he didn't move. Busted him up really bad and almost killed him. I'll leave that stuff to those with nimbler feet
Old 03-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
I might end up rolling and flopping around like a fish up there Got the long handle for the broom and extenable ladders to hang around the side of it...
If in the 70++ bracket, it is getting tough, For me it took a while to get up there that first time, then once up there was Okay Till I realized had to get back down Thought would have to call someone to peel me off that roof. Try to clean roof each year when dewinterizing.

Since I need to get state inspection each year and the dealer has this free I think 10 point inspection it gets checked at least each year. If anything found I have them correct it. During the rest of the year I do a LOOK SEE every now and then from a ladder along the sides
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
CrazyCain

Getting down, oh I forgot about that!!!!!

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 03-28-2017, 02:58 PM   #9
Tbos

Just cleaned and inspected mine from a ladder this past weekend.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:15 PM   #10
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Just cleaned and inspected mine from a ladder this past weekend.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

Awesome, thanks for the reply

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 03-28-2017, 07:30 PM   #11
drdarrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post

Getting down, oh I forgot about that!!!!!

Getting down is easy!

Once
[emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drdarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #12
Ken / Claudia

I am OK with being on the roof most of the time. I recently cleaned it while it was parked on the jacks, tires chocked. Hardly rocked the trailer as I walked around. When I put protection on the roof, I had hooked it up to the truck and moved it to also clean the driveway. What a difference, the whole trailer rocked badly as I walked across the roof. So much so I did not walk near the edges. I got knee pads on to apply the protection on my knees. Really felt unsafe to walk on the roof while hooked up to the truck.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:00 AM   #13
larry337

However you go about it be very careful and don't take anything for granted. I was getting a little TOO comfortable on the roof. Next thing I knew I slipped and shattered my leg. Life flight, 2 surgeries, and couldn't walk for 6 months. So if that means pay someone than pay them and don't think twice. This is my x-ray and all my permanent hardware. And yes I still get on the roof but I have a whole new attitude about it now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:21 AM   #14
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
However you go about it be very careful and don't take anything for granted. I was getting a little TOO comfortable on the roof. Next thing I knew I slipped and shattered my leg. Life flight, 2 surgeries, and couldn't walk for 6 months. So if that means pay someone than pay them and don't think twice. This is my x-ray and all my permanent hardware. And yes I still get on the roof but I have a whole new attitude about it now.
OUCH!!!!! Good thing you live close to a hardware store.

Always good advise to be careful.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:22 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Larry, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it looks like they left a loose screw in there Reference the right picture
Old 03-29-2017, 01:22 PM   #16
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Larry, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it looks like they left a loose screw in there Reference the right picture
Hahahaha it ain't loose it was holding something together! You can see all the fracture lines. It'll be 2 years in July and still gives me pain dang it. I replay it in mind and sure wish I could get a do over.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 03-29-2017, 01:29 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Hahahaha it ain't loose it was holding something together! You can see all the fracture lines. It'll be 2 years in July and still gives me pain dang it. I replay it in mind and sure wish I could get a do over.

I don't know your age but I doubt seriously if the pain will ever go away. As you get older it will definitely come back. I guess there might be a high side; if it's titanium be sure and tell your wife to have them recycle your leg and see if she can get some cash when it's your time. That's what I told my wife about my leg.....
Old 03-29-2017, 01:31 PM   #18
Steve S

Let me get this straight. People can spend upwards of a hundred grand on a trailer but they're too cheap to spend a few hundred to hire a nimble kid to climb up and clean their roofs compared to falling, breaking bones or killing themselves? Something here doesn't make sense.
Also once the kid does his job run out and buy a cheap drone with a camera, do your inspection from a lawn chair while having a beer and not laying in a morgue.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:39 PM   #19
notanlines

Steve, please, please don't bring up the drone thread again. Enough people were knocked off with shotgun fire the last time around.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:39 PM   #20
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I don't know your age but I doubt seriously if the pain will ever go away. As you get older it will definitely come back. I guess there might be a high side; if it's titanium be sure and tell your wife to have them recycle your leg and see if she can get some cash when it's your time. That's what I told my wife about my leg.....
54, and I agree, don't think it will go away completely. I went back to work in Jan last year, made it to December when I went to the hospital for chest pain. Turns out I was days away from having the big one and had bypass surgery. I feel like I've aged 10 years in the last year and a half!

Oh and my health insurance company is out around 400 grand too!

Okay back to your regularly scheduled programming.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS

Tags
roof