Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2016, 08:46 PM   #1
sandy43

Carpet stains caused by slides

The backside of 2 slides, back of the axles (one on each side) has left some blackish stains on the carpet. It's getting worst each year. I think I've discovered the problem. A black carbon like material, I think from the brakes is thrown toward to back when traveling and the under-slides is picking it up and dispersing it on the carpet when their pulled in. I crawled under the slides today and that black stuff was everywhere. I cleaned the under slides really well and hopefully that solves the problem, at least for a while. Has anyone else ever experienced this issue?? I checked the wheels, pads, and drums and they appear ok. Wish I had disk brakes. Thanks
Sandy

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

you might want to look at the rear tires. Look real close for any feathering, or cupping. I don't think the brakes are the issue

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:19 PM   #3
sandy43

The tires are good, Michelin XPS. No cupping and all 4 are worn the same. Always keep 80psi and they have less than 12K miles and 4 yrs old. Do I know for sure it's not the tires, no, but I don't think so. I need to investigate that theory a little further. I notice that the outside rear wheels collect this black carbon stuff, much more than the front 2. Cleaning the carpet was a PITA. Thanks
Sandy

Old 12-14-2016, 09:20 PM   #4
sandy43

Forgot to ask, what's feathering?

Old 12-15-2016, 05:51 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Feathering is the wearing down of the outer edges of the tread. Tires should wear evenly across the tread. Tire pressure can be one cause, bad bearings can cause it and a bad axle may do it too.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Sandy,
I would question whether your theory is correct for this reason: When towing, the slides are "inside" and there is a rubber seal on the bottom of the slide to keep any moisture/road grime from entering the coach. The only time the bottom of the slide is exposed to the tires/brakes/outside environment is when you're parked with the slides extended.

I wouldn't think there's much potential for brake dust, or for that matter, tire debris, to be "slung on the underside of the slide" when parked.

So, my guess would be that you've got some deterioration of the material on the bottom of the slide, or the "skid plates" (which are probably black plastic) and when you pull your slides in or extend them, that "black material" rubs against the carpet, leaving some residue. You might, when your slides are extended, get under them and wash well with Dawn/hot water, rinse and apply a coating of Aerospace 303 or spray them with silicone and let it dry thoroughly before retracting the slides.

Just my hunch, but I don't see how brake dust could get onto the bottom of the slide when you're towing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #7
sandy43

JRTJH, I'm leaning toward your line of thought. I can't explain why theirs so much of the same black soot on so many other locations not associated with the slides. Requires more investigating and deep thinking, which is probably above my train of thought. I'm an Aggie, what can I say

Old 12-15-2016, 06:42 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

I'm thinking John has a better explanation too. I will have to beg forgiveness, my mind has been elsewhere.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:56 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy43 View Post
JRTJH, ... I'm an Aggie, what can I say
Hmmmmm maybe it's "Aggie-poo" ???? Nah, couldn't be..... I know cheap shot, eh???

I know, I know.... It may just be dirt and stuff that's accumulated over the years on the bottom of the slide (when you have them extended). Just condensation will attract dirt and dust, so if it gets 'stuck on the damp bottom" and dries there, you may be dragging it in when you pull the slides in. In that situation, the carpet becomes a "big dust mop" to collect the dirt. Over time, it'll show up where it's been "mashed into the carpet" by those plastic glides....

I might be "way off" on guessing this, but I'd at least check it out, clean the bottom of the slide, coat it with something that won't attract dirt, shampoo the carpet and see if it helps. My thoughts: It's not something that just happened, so it's probably not something that 'broke" but rather something that's been going on for a long time and just got noticed.

Good luck !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:32 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I'm going through an issue somewhat like you describe.

As mentioned the bottom of the slide sits above the bottom level that would be exposed to road grime and debris. As I'm discovering there are other things that can cause you grief;

What kind of bottom do you have on your slides? I was told I had purchased the "top of the line" bumper pull travel trailer and they attached a price tag to go with that. But, I have what appears to be a plastic adhesive (Darco?) under all the slides. That covering appears to be wearing on all the slides. One had what appeared to be extra "tape strips" that peeled off and hung up under the slide. This wearing and deterioration of the material leaves some residue....not anything like you describe, but it might be a contributing factor.

I don't know what design you have but some slides have roller and some have a "wear bar". If things aren't right with the slide the bottom material can sit directly on the wear bar and leave all kinds of residue. Check the bottom of your slides, clean them well then coat them with a slippery, non oily product to see if that will help.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #11
cjm

I had the same problem. I bought of amazon thin teflon baking sheets (like paper) and put them at each end of the slide, under the slide and between the slide and the carpeted floor. I stapled them to the carpet just before where they could be seen, and to the outside frame. I then bought the repair tape for the material on the bottom of the slide out. Google mobile home repair tape. it is the same material with a great adhesive on it. I ran it over the frayed bottom of the slides.

The slides travel much smother now and no more black streaks....
cjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpet, slide