Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2016, 10:12 AM   #1
CWSWine

Tst

I purchased a TST 507 tire monitor and installed on my 39.5 foot 5er.

The first thing I notices is 3 of tires increased in temp and pressure but 1 tire remained at the temp and pressure prior to leaving. After about 30 minutes on a interstate it jumped up to the same temp and pressure as the rest of tires.

Dropping off the 5er at storage and driving home about 25 miles and 30 minutes drive the TST monitor was still displaying the last readings it got from the sensors.

Anyone now how long the TST will display readings after signal loss?

I getting ready to add a repeater to insure I don't get a signal loss and just displaying the last reading.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #2
slow

I do not know much about the TST 507 having only purchased and installed mine last season. But when I was doing my research and chatting with their customer service, I concluded having a repeater would ease my anxiety over signal loss reported by other users.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:38 AM   #3
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
I do not know much about the TST 507 having only purchased and installed mine last season. But when I was doing my research and chatting with their customer service, I concluded having a repeater would ease my anxiety over signal loss reported by other users.
I agree, after what happened I feel better when I get the repeater installed. Looking down at the read out I don't know if it's current or I have lost signal and the data is 30 minutes old.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #4
buzzcop63

I have been using Tire Minder since about June of 2013, and some of the things I have found about these types of units. Mine reports about every 20 minutes, each sender unit mounted on valve stem unless a problem is detected saves battery life. So when I am loading the trailer the detector is on and by the time we are ready to hit the road I have a base for the PSI in each tire as well as the temperature. I set the PSI via a hand digital meter; the Tire Minder PSI will differ by a percentage of a pound or pound. The readings can differ on each tire depending if they are in sunlight or shade. Once on the road they all change depending on if the tire is in the front or back position or on a side that is in direct sun light. Once the unit is turned off it holds the last data until it is turned on again and in range of the tires and enough time has passed for all four-tire senders have sent it new data.

One of the nice features of these devices is not having to hand check each tire before heading out and while in camp to turn the device on and check PSI to help detect any slow leaks. Checking temperature and PSI while on the road quickly lets one know that speed, heat of the day and load greatly affect the PSI in the tire and its running temperature. Each time you take off one of the senders to do a hand check of the PSI or to add air the alarms go off on the base unit and it indicates the tire you are working on, nice way of knowing the unit is performing as it should be.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:16 PM   #5
RGene7001

It looks like TST sensors send data to the main unit every minute or more. However, if there is a blowout or relatively rapid pressure loss they react right away. Borderline batteries in combination with cold weather may affect their performance substationally. Dont expect to much from the temperature function. Without direct sunlight my tire temperatures only 3 or 4 degrees higher than ambient air. In the case of direct sunlight the tire temp of the exposed side of the trailer will be 10 or more degrees warmer than of the opposite (shadow) side.

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:42 PM   #6
buzzcop63

The Tire Minder Transmitters reports at 20 minute intervals to the Receiver unit unless there is a change that needs reporting, this is done to conserve battery power. The Receiver will note any battery that is low, the company provides the batteries free of charge, you just mail in the old set once a year and a new set is mailed to you. The system has a working temperature range of -4F to 185F. The four I have had operating since June of 2013 on my trailer. I change batteries once per year and test the batteries I send back in to Tire Minder and have found them still showing full charge. As for the temperature change I have observed considerable difference in temperature on full sun days, side in the shade the tires showed 77 and 78 degrees while those sitting in the sun were 89 and 86 while in camp. Highway temperatures also showed a lot of difference between the tires running in the sun and those in the shade and which one was in front getting all the air and the tire with air blocked running behind. I found this information very valuable.