Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
cumminsdad08

tounge jack question

OK so i searched around for an answer but couldn't find one, SO my question is, "Why is there not an extension for the trailer jack?" i am use to utility trailers and all you have to do is pull the pin, slide down the extension and bingo the jack is plenty long enough. currently i have to stick about 5 2x6 under it to get it off my truck(i got a little lift on it about 3 inches). i don't really like this because now i have to leave the 2x under it when i store it and such. is there a reason that RV's and boat trailers don't put these extensions on. i was going to fab up something, but i figured i would see if there was a real reason for this not being a factory thing, or if they are just trying to save some money when manufacturing. i can think of the obvious reasons like if you would have to level it off or something, but i am talking about just parking it. trying to make it a little more secure and safe when it is stored. Any info would be great, Thanks!!!!
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
THedges

I think it has everything to do with the tongue weight. I was looking for something like that my self and everything I came across was for a smaller diameter jack. So for now I am still using a 4x8 block.

I will be interested to see if anyone has found an extension.
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
Bob Landry

They are made like that so the stand will retract up into the jack housing, otherwise it would probably hang down below the level if the hitch.
If ou're worried about stability in storage, chock the wheels. You should be doing that anyway.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Handysam

Actually, I think you might be on to something, ( I get half the cut ). After all fifth wheels have them and they hold up 2 to 3k. for the pair, tongue weight on avg. is about 900lbs. You could modify the one you have to a similar setup on fifth wheels to make it work and a lot easier. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 04-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
cumminsdad08

well i do chock the wheels, but it is a storage next to other peoples stuff, in a big open field, where it tends to get kinda windy, even worse this time of the year. it is not terrible close and i really don't ever want to get "that call" from the property owner. i don't think that it would be an issue with it hanging down lower, fully retracted, they usually only hang down a couple more inches then the fixed part. i would think that my weight bars would drag long before that would. and as far as weight, i wouldn't think that would make a difference. i have trailers at work raited for 10K and they have an extendeble jack. i am not sure what i wanted to do yet, but i didn't want to find our the hard way. it isn't a huge deal, but it would look a little nicer when parked and be a whole lot easier then what i got going on now.

Thanks for the ideas, keep um bounching, i am open for anything. there must be a reason. after all people with "degrees" figure this stuff out in manufacturing, don't they?
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
Old 04-02-2011, 04:21 AM   #6
W.E.BGood

Not sure if this is what you're looking for:

http://fastwaytrailer.com/flip/

I've never used one so's I can't vouch for it, but it looks like a good idea.
Regards, BGood
W.E.BGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
cumminsdad08

yes sir that looks acceptible, and seems fairly priced too, under 40 bucks. i am sure i would get more then that in fabing something up, and really all i need is a couple of inches anyhow. only thing with that, i wonder how hard it is to remove if you need to drop the front of the trailer down. good find BGood
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)