Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2015, 06:05 PM   #1
Leo7

Another Tire Question

We have purchased a 2015 Cougar 24SABWE and are planning on making a 3,500 mile road trip in July. The tires on this trailer are 2014 Westlake ST225 75R15 load range D, made in China. After reading threads about the "China Bombs", am I being foolish for making this trip with these tires? I was hoping to get a couple of seasons out of these tires before switching to Maxxis M8008 tires.
Leo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:22 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If you ensure that you maintain the proper pressure, keep your speed down and don't overload your RV resulting in too much weight on the axles and tires, you should be good. Yes, there will be some who will advise you to get rid of them now rather than later but I am assuming that the tires have very little, if any, mileage on them. They are only a year old and I would not have any concerns about keeping them on for this trip.

When we bought our Cougar in '08, I kept "Chinese Bombs" on for 3 years then switched them out to Maxxis M8008's. I never had any problems with the Chinese brand and when they were taken off there was plenty of tread left and still within the "life span" of a tire. But I've always had Maxxis on our RV's before and just "felt better" with having them on rather than the Chinese ones.

A tough decision to make and sometimes I think it is similar to Mark Twain's quote: "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated".
Old 05-18-2015, 05:10 AM   #3
bsmith0404

I'd keep the air pressure up, trailer properly loaded, and speed down (65 max) and make the trip. I ran the China Bombs on mine for a year and about 3,000 miles without an issue before changing them out.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:03 AM   #4
therink

Ibagree with the above two posts. They will likley be ok as long as you follow their recommendations.
If it were me however, I would upgrade to Maxxis load range E tires assuming you wheels can accommodate 80 psi. I am a believer that the cheap Chinese tires provided as OEM are made and provided to satify the bare minimum DOT requirements for towing the load they are designed for. I feel that if doing any serious towing and want piece of mind, quality tires are necessary. Just my opinion.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:10 AM   #5
TexasKevin

LT Tires

I have had large RV's since the 90's and have had multiple tire issues, I maintained proper pressure, stored inside out of the sun and never exceed 65mph, but these new campers come with way too light of a tire. I switched to LT tires several years ago and knock on wood have eliminated my tire issues. Plus if you want to drive over 65 mph, you can. I have been running BG Goodrich Commercial TA's. You will have to get 16" rims but the extra expense is worth it.
TexasKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I think you'll be OK. Heat generated from speed, weight and the lack of pressure will kill your tires. My OEM Trailer King tires have about 5,000 miles on them and are 15 months old. I've not had any issues (knock on wood). Looking at the tire/trailer specs it is obvious that there is very little margin built into the tires for failure to follow all the specs to the tee. I do think we will be upgrading tires at the end of this summer simply because I think it's a matter of when, not if, they will get me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #7
Ken / Claudia

If it were me, I would keep and use the tires and if you have the money, invest in a TPMS for those trailer tires. If your new to RVing develop a walk around safety check of the trailer and truck as you travel. Before you leave and when you stop for breaks or the end of day. That might save having a blow tire or other failures.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:17 AM   #8
CWtheMan

Unlike a lot of Keystone fitments your Westlake tires are providing excellent load capacity reserves. They should not give you any trouble in the near future as long as they are well maintained and inflated to the proper pressures.

Westlake seems to be a new OEM tire provider. At a RV show earlier this year I observed them on other brand named trailers. What was easily recognizable was the green valve stem covers denoting the use of 100% nitrogen inflation. The fitments I observed also had the red/yellow dot weight distribution system. In the picture below you can see that the yellow dot is aligned with the wheel valve stem, indicating a balanced fit between wheel and tire.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=27423

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #9
Todd727

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
What was easily recognizable was the green valve stem covers denoting the use of 100% nitrogen inflation.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=27423

CW
I'm assuming that is considerably better than the black covers that denote 78% N2?
Old 07-05-2015, 01:36 PM   #10
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd727 View Post
I'm assuming that is considerably better than the black covers that denote 78% N2?
Is the 100% nitrogen better? Probably. Problem is, it's hard to maintain and is almost always going to cost extra.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:49 AM   #11
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
If it were me, I would keep and use the tires and if you have the money, invest in a TPMS for those trailer tires. If your new to RVing develop a walk around safety check of the trailer and truck as you travel. Before you leave and when you stop for breaks or the end of day. That might save having a blow tire or other failures.
All that^^^and pray for luck.

My formula: Maxxis tires balanced and inflated to 80 PSI (with 78% N2), metal valve stems and metal caps) a pre-drive prayer and a wish for luck, 60-62 MPH and an infrared temp sensor for enroute stops. So far, no cause for tire-induced profanity (Fingers crossed while gazing towards heaven).

Is it me or do those green, worthless, plastic valve stem caps look goofy and ugly. A properly sealing, chrome metal cap on a metal valve stem looks and works so much better.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:27 AM   #12
shov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post

My formula: Maxxis tires balanced and inflated to 80 PSI (with 78% N2), metal valve stems and metal caps) a pre-drive prayer and a wish for luck, 60-62 MPH and an infrared temp sensor for enroute stops. So far, no cause for tire-induced profanity (Fingers crossed while gazing towards heaven).

Is it me or do those green, worthless, plastic valve stem caps look goofy and ugly. A properly sealing, chrome metal cap on a metal valve stem looks and works so much better.
You do realize the air we breath is 78% Nitrogen, wouldn't waste my money on Nitrogen filled tires...

But everything else I agree with, speed and tire preasure
shov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:23 PM   #13
BOWWOW

Check both the inner and outer sidewalls as well as the tread for cracks. I have heard that the frames can sit outside in the weather with the wheels on the for as long as 2 years before being built. Having said that you should still get at least 1 or 2 years out of them.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:47 PM   #14
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post

^^^^This X2.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:38 PM   #15
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by shov View Post
You do realize the air we breath is 78% Nitrogen, wouldn't waste my money on Nitrogen filled tires...

But everything else I agree with, speed and tire preasure
That's why I said 78% N2, i.e. the air we breathe.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:55 PM   #16
audio1der

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Agreed. You'll likely save not only the $ on damaged tire(s) but also save any damage to the side/skirt of the trailer. If you have some weight headroom built into the tires and you're religious with the pressure I would also keep them.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote