Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
BirchyBoy

WDH setup with air suspension

My new TV is a '13 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 with the Quadra Lift suspension. This is an automatic air ride system that levels the vehicle automagically as well as let the driver raise or lower it.

I setup the Equalizer 1k/10k today after first disabling the automatic leveling. I got the two measurements (33 1/2" uncoupled, 34 1/8" coupled without bars) which should give me a midpoint of 33 13/16. I did my thing and got it set so that the front end is 33 9/16, slightly higher than normal, which should be good.

I back up and look at the whole unit and it looks right. I start the truck and turn the suspension back on (which it would do automatically anyway) and the back end comes up and now the camper is slightly above level at the hitch. I then tried to lower the ball height. When I did this, the bolt that is supposed to hit the front of the shank is actually below it, so it is useless. I put it back to where it was.

I'm a bit stymied. I bought the EQ hitch new, so the shank and the head should be sized right so it can be adjusted up or down either way. It's like the the shank is 1/2" too short on the bottom end. I guess I need to call EQ and see if they shipped the wrong shank. It did tow OK as-is. Am I over-thinking this?
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:28 PM   #2
GaryWT

Can you flip the shank to get the height you want and allow the bolt to do its job? I tow with the front of my trailer up slightly. Basically it as low as it can go and I did not want to buy a longer shank for $100 or so. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #3
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Can you flip the shank to get the height you want and allow the bolt to do its job? I tow with the front of my trailer up slightly. Basically it as low as it can go and I did not want to buy a longer shank for $100 or so. Good luck.
Thanks. The shank is already flipped down, so it extends towards the ground. I have the minimum number of washers (4) installed. I can try adding more to see if that helps at all, but I don't have any. I can't see them listed on EQ's site, either. I'll have to call my dealer.

If you're towing with it up slightly and the world hasn't ended, I'll give it a try.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 04-04-2015, 06:40 PM   #4
CampDestinations.com

You might be ok with this. The WDH is moving weight from rear axle to front and to trailer tires, the QL is just leveling. But even though it went up some when leveling out, I believe the QL will lower the entire suspension by another inch or so at highway speeds, which will lower your hitch and the front of the trailer by as much. I'm not sure if it will work, but can you put it into Aero mode while parked and hitched? That would give you an idea of the heights when on the highway.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #5
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDestinations.com View Post
You might be ok with this. The WDH is moving weight from rear axle to front and to trailer tires, the QL is just leveling. But even though it went up some when leveling out, I believe the QL will lower the entire suspension by another inch or so at highway speeds, which will lower your hitch and the front of the trailer by as much. I'm not sure if it will work, but can you put it into Aero mode while parked and hitched? That would give you an idea of the heights when on the highway.
Good point. It goes into aero mode at 65. I never went above 62 on my trip last year so that likely won't apply. I can drop it into sport mode and see what that does. I'll have to see if there is a conflict between sport mode and the transmission's tow/haul mode. I think I'll give that a try when I hook up again and see if it makes a difference.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 04-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Remember that ST tires are speed rated at 65 MPH, so you may never get to use the aero mode unless you can keep it under/over/almost/not quiet/hmmm/oh no....... Just sayin'

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
sagebel

Is there anything in the owner's manual? A buddy had an Expedition a few years ago and I think the owner's manual had something about towing with the air ride system.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #8
bigredcherokee

I have the same issue and downloaded the Manual and haven't found any ref to air ride or leveling system.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:08 PM   #9
BirchyBoy

Yeah, it doesn't say much other than to use tow/haul mode. I pulled it for about 15 miles today, 5 or so on the interstate, and it pulled great. I might try to drop my head on the shank again, thinking maybe I missed the next level down. We'll see.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 04-06-2015, 07:19 PM   #10
bigredcherokee

I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 with Airlift system crew cab. From everything I have read I need to be using the 12k hitch. I have the 10k hitch.

Huge difference towing with it I must say cant tell the trailer is back their. My only issue is according to the number I don't have much wiggle room when it comes to stuff I can load in the cargo compartment and bed of the truck.

I've towed with it a few times now.

Think I need to flip the shank and air my bags up to about 10 or 15 psi and see what it does.

Went ahead and posted my hitch up for sale although I would like to be wrong on the number and keep my hitch.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:16 AM   #11
BirchyBoy

I finally got to a scale, way overdue. It doesn't look like it is actually transferring any weight to the front wheels, or not enough. Going to try and find an RV dealer where we are to take the camper too. Not too happy with myself right now.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 06-23-2015, 04:41 AM   #12
Essness

On my 2014 Ram with air, if I use tow/haul switch it does not go into aero mode.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #13
KSH

I think once it knows there's a trailer connected it won't go into aero mode. I have the 1500 rarely used tow haul mode and I've never seen it go into aero mode on the freeway with a trailer attached.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:04 AM   #14
mfifield01

Anyone have any axle weights on your Rams after the WDH setup? I took mine to a Cat Scale and the front axle is higher than the back. It was roughly 3500 lbs on front axle and 3300 lbs on the back axle. I let the dealer setup my WDH, but I disabled the air suspension and told them about it.

I helped a friend last year setup a WDH, so I know how to adjust it.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:32 PM   #15
RGene7001

I don't have air suspension in my TV, but I used to have one in another Mercedes, so I can say that it has its own mind and feel, even when not towing anything. What makes things more complicated with WDH is the fact that when it lifts the rear it decreases weight transferring force from your torsion bars.
However, 238ML is a very light trailer and JGC has very short rear overhang (same as my ML) and these two facts make me think that you will have very little front unloading, so you may want to skip weight distribution in your case and use sway control only.
The other approach may be not to disable load leveling during adjustment process and go by weights only. You should weight your Jeep unhooked first, then with the trailer but without weight distribution and finally, you should adjust your springs to put these 100-200 lb. back to the front wheels.
Steel suspension is totally different, I tried to pull my trailer without WD once, for about 4 miles and not faster than 40 mph, and it was not a good experience at all. Not because of sway or steering problems, but because my rear suspension had no travel at all due to excessive weight. With air suspension, this should not be an issue.
Good luck

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote