Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2015, 12:34 PM   #41
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
For those of you using the booster where did you locate it? Trying to figure out the easiest and best place to put it. For those of you with Fords, did any of you connect it to the uplifter switches? That's where I was thinking of connecting it to and then placing the actual signal booster to the rear of the truck somewhere.
This is exactly what I did - upfitter switch 3 (10 amp). I wired both the booster and the receiver to that switch.

I mounted the booster to the inside of the frame rail near the back.

The hardest parts were hooking up to the firewall pass through wire in the engine compartment (tight quarters to be trying to splice wires together) and snaking a wire past the fuel and DPF tanks along the inside of the frame rail.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:11 AM   #42
C130

Another dumb question but for those of you that connected it to the 5th wheel battery did you just hot wire it it put an on/off switch in so its not powered all the time while in storage? I know it draws so little power it probably wouldn't matter and keep a trickle charger on my battery but just wanted to know what's best.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:27 AM   #43
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyphoid View Post
This is exactly what I did - upfitter switch 3 (10 amp). I wired both the booster and the receiver to that switch.

I mounted the booster to the inside of the frame rail near the back.

The hardest parts were hooking up to the firewall pass through wire in the engine compartment (tight quarters to be trying to splice wires together) and snaking a wire past the fuel and DPF tanks along the inside of the frame rail.
Can you tell me how to connect the booster to the uplifter switches? I have the diagram and know there are wires underneath the hood and then underneath the steering column. My question is do I connect the booster wires to the wires underneath the hood only or do I connect the booster to the wires underneath the hood then I need to connect more wires underneath the steering column also? The part underneath the steering column is where I am confused and have watched a couple of Youtube videos and still not sure. I don't have to fish any wires through the firewall, correct?

I just wasn't sure if the wires underneath the hood were wired directly to the uplifter switch or if there are two bundles of wires underneath the steering column and I need to connect the two wires (same color) underneath the steering column. I'm thinking there are 4 wires from the uplifter switches to underneath the steering column then 4 more wires from underneath the hood to underneath the steering column. So, I'll connect the booster to the wire underneath the hood then connect the two wires already underneath the steering column? Is this correct or did I not make any sense at all?
Old 05-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #44
jtyphoid

Quote:
Can you tell me how to connect the booster to the uplifter switches? I have the diagram and know there are wires underneath the hood and then underneath the steering column. My question is do I connect the booster wires to the wires underneath the hood only or do I connect the booster to the wires underneath the hood then I need to connect more wires underneath the steering column also? The part underneath the steering column is where I am confused and have watched a couple of Youtube videos and still not sure. I don't have to fish any wires through the firewall, correct?

I just wasn't sure if the wires underneath the hood were wired directly to the uplifter switch or if there are two bundles of wires underneath the steering column and I need to connect the two wires (same color) underneath the steering column. I'm thinking there are 4 wires from the uplifter switches to underneath the steering column then 4 more wires from underneath the hood to underneath the steering column. So, I'll connect the booster to the wire underneath the hood then connect the two wires already underneath the steering column? Is this correct or did I not make any sense at all?
Yes, your question made sense.

Under the left side of the dash, you'll find four stubbed off wires for the upfitter switches. These should be together, and there might be a tag wrapped around the four stating that they are for the upfitter switches. These wires will have 12V DC any time that the ignition is in the "run" position and the associated switch is on. These wires are:
- Switch 1 - Yellow - 25A
- Switch 2 - Green with brown stripe - 25A
- Switch 3 - Violet with green stripe - 10A
- Switch 4 - Brown - 15A

If the accessory that you want to power is inside the cabin, then just tie directly into one of these four wires and find a ground somewhere to complete the circuit.

If you want to route the power outside the cabin, then you need to find another set of stubbed off wires and connect the appropriate upfitter switch wire to one of four that goes through the firewall. Ford calls these "customer access" wires. These four wires are with a bunch of other stubbed off wires that are taped to the outside of a wire harness that goes through the firewall near the brake pedal under the dash. The "outside" end of these four wires are taped to a wire harness in the left corner of the engine compartment between the firewall and the under-hood fuse box. In my case, they were taped to the back side of the wire harness, so they weren't easily visible until I got them released from the harness.
These four wires are:
- Brown with white stripe
- White
- White with orange stripe
- Grey with orange stripe

I wired up my TPMS receiver and repeater to upfitter switch number 3 because 10A should be plenty for both. Now the entire TPMS system is controlled with one switch. This required the following:

Tied these three together under the dash:
- Violet with green stripe from upfitter switch #3
- White "customer access" wire (inside end)
- Red wire leading to TPMS receiver

The black wire from the TPMS receiver was connect to ground inside the cabin.

In the engine compartment, I connected the outside end of the white "customer access" wire to an 18 gauge wire that I ran down to the frame rail then along the inside of the frame rail all the way to the rear of the truck. This wire was then connected to the positive lead on the TPMS repeater.

The negative lead of the TPMS repeater was connected to the frame for ground.

I know that this sounds hard, but it wasn't that bad. I'm guessing that it took a couple of hours from start to finish. I used some fairly stiff 14 gauge wire to fish the 18 gauge wire past the fuel and DEF tanks along the inside of the frame rail.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:26 PM   #45
C130

Great, thanks and appreciate the detailed instructions.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:03 AM   #46
C130

Okay, I'm modifying this post as I did find the outside 4 wires and they are actually pretty easy to get to. One more question though. I found the 4 wires underneath (direct to upfitter switches) the steering column and was able to connect signal booster directly to the switch to verify it was the correct one. Are the 4 wires on the inside of the truck that run through the firewall connected to the big bundle of wires? I see a large bundle of wires, I'd say at least 20 with labels, but don't see that any are labeled as "customer access" or maybe I just missed it and will look again? I'm pretty positive the 4 are in this bundle but trying to verify how they are labeled. I'll also look at the Ford wiring diagram.

Where did you connect the ground wire to inside the truck or since I'm only connecting the booster I assume I can just connect the ground to the frame outside of the truck? I may hard wire the display unit but haven't decided for sure.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:56 PM   #47
jtyphoid

Quote:
Okay, I'm modifying this post as I did find the outside 4 wires and they are actually pretty easy to get to. One more question though. I found the 4 wires underneath (direct to upfitter switches) the steering column and was able to connect signal booster directly to the switch to verify it was the correct one. Are the 4 wires on the inside of the truck that run through the firewall connected to the big bundle of wires? I see a large bundle of wires, I'd say at least 20 with labels, but don't see that any are labeled as "customer access" or maybe I just missed it and will look again? I'm pretty positive the 4 are in this bundle but trying to verify how they are labeled. I'll also look at the Ford wiring diagram.

Where did you connect the ground wire to inside the truck or since I'm only connecting the booster I assume I can just connect the ground to the frame outside of the truck? I may hard wire the display unit but haven't decided for sure.
The four pass through wires are in that bundle, but I don't remember how they are labelled. I can look at mine tomorrow.

There is a ground bolt used for a factory harness near the back of the driver's side frame rail. You will need to remove the spare tire to see it. It is a fairly large diameter bolt, so you'll need a large crimp-on loop to use that. I made my own ground, instead, by drilling a small hole in the frame and using a bolt. I sprayed some primer and paint after installing it to help prevent corrosion.

I used a crimp-on loop and an existing bolt under the dash to ground the display unit.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:53 PM   #48
jtyphoid

Quote:
Okay, I'm modifying this post as I did find the outside 4 wires and they are actually pretty easy to get to. One more question though. I found the 4 wires underneath (direct to upfitter switches) the steering column and was able to connect signal booster directly to the switch to verify it was the correct one. Are the 4 wires on the inside of the truck that run through the firewall connected to the big bundle of wires? I see a large bundle of wires, I'd say at least 20 with labels, but don't see that any are labeled as "customer access" or maybe I just missed it and will look again? I'm pretty positive the 4 are in this bundle but trying to verify how they are labeled.
Mine are in a bundle that is labeled with a bunch of things, several of which are for the PTO. The label does not include the pass-through wires, even though they are in there. You should be able to find them by color.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:45 PM   #49
C130

Okay, great and really appreciate you looking. I saw several labeled PTO and lots of other labels so I'll just go by color as you suggested. I bought some wire and connectors today so should be all set.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #50
C130

Thanks for everyone's help, finished installing the signal booster to the upfitter switch today. There were two orange and white wires through the pass through and of course I chose the wrong one so just connected it to the other one. I mounted the signal booster via a Velcro type material next to the trailer connection at the rear left side of the bed. There is a hole in the side of the bed right next to the connection so I ran the wire down the side of the bed then along the frame. I'm assuming this location will work fine and if not I'll put it next to the license plate.