Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
fireidiot

A weekend of breaking things

Hi all. This past weekend was our last outing for the year and I had a few issues. Wanted to see if anyone has run into this. I have a 2012 Cougar.

Issue 1 - Got home and both chains are dragging on the ground. Seems the links were welded under the front lip of the frame and both fell off. I didn't have any issues coming home that would have caused it. Now I don't want to have them rewelded, where else can I go with these safety chains for attachment?

Issue 2 - I noticed the bottom step seemed funny. It appears the metal has cracked and is tearing. (See photo). Has anyone else had this issue and what's the best option. Trying to fix it or buy new steps.

Issue 3 - it seems I am constantly having to really slam the door to shut it. The metal strike plate is on the outside of the frame and there is no more adjustment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1415776788353.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	7431   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1415776826351.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	7432  
Old 11-12-2014, 04:13 AM   #2
larry337

My guess it was just a bad weld. Get it rewelded and you should be fine. I'd contact keystone about the steps and try to get new ones, especially in light of your other problems. The door itself could be bent or warped. They're very soft and pliable. You can probably straighten it yourself in a couple minutes without even taking it off the frame.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:16 AM   #3
dankent

1./ without a picture of your setup to verify whats happening, you can drill a hole right through the frame if you want and bolt them on that way ... however I would not do that .. I would get them welded back on.

2./ replace the step. Fixing it at a spot like that would probably break again in the same spot. Maybe look at something more heavy duty. Also maybe rust spray your metal parts a couple times a year. I Krown spray all metal on my 5th wheel twice a year.

3./ Take the latch out of the door and spray the insides of the handle and lock bolt with some lube, I had this happen this year to my cougar, this helped 100 percent.

Current:
2014 Keystone Cougar 333MKS

Sold:
2012 Keystone Sprinter 255RKS
dankent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
randy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireidiot View Post
Hi all. This past weekend was our last outing for the year and I had a few issues. Wanted to see if anyone has run into this. I have a 2012 Cougar.

Issue 1 - Got home and both chains are dragging on the ground. Seems the links were welded under the front lip of the frame and both fell off. I didn't have any issues coming home that would have caused it. Now I don't want to have them rewelded, where else can I go with these safety chains for attachment?

Issue 2 - I noticed the bottom step seemed funny. It appears the metal has cracked and is tearing. (See photo). Has anyone else had this issue and what's the best option. Trying to fix it or buy new steps.

Issue 3 - it seems I am constantly having to really slam the door to shut it. The metal strike plate is on the outside of the frame and there is no more adjustment.
Never have seen steps splt like that. I would run a wide welding bead on that and repaint. One of my step rivets fell out replaced it with a bolt washers and a nilock nut. Stronger than the rivets that hold the steps.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:39 AM   #5
byrdr1

I broke a bolt on my steps on the TT. Found a carriage bolt&nut at Lowes and repaired myself. I am a big guy and Use one of those Step Stabilizer. Its two flat pieces of 1/8 inch steel with one welded to a hollow rod the other end weld to a screwing thread and a nice big ole nut and you can adjust the heights. This seem to help with step stability and my comfort of using them. I keep telling the wife i want a set of wooden steps to use at the house because we store it on site at home.
randy

This is from etrailer. and WOW This is bigger than I planned!!!

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:59 AM   #6
GaryWT

Find a welder and they could take care of one and two although new steps might be in your future, check with the dealer. Before doing too much to the door, be sure you are level as that could be the issue. You might have to look at the hinge side of the door to make an adjustment if you are level.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

A set of new steps will cost you around $300. I don't know how long the original steps were warrantied, but you might find that information in your owner's packet. I recall seeing an "instruction sheet" in mine with a warranty statement on the back.

Trekwood has replacements for sale. Here's the link to the 9" rise triple step: http://www.trekwood.com/products/277...us-Step-9-Rise Remember that there are several different "rise heights" so measure yours if you do decide to buy new steps.

I'd suggest you drill out the rivets, pull that step off, take it to a welder and have him weld/rebuild the cracked area. Ask him to beef up both sides while it's off the trailer. When you reinstall it, use stainless steel bolts, washers and nylock nuts in place of the rivets you drilled out. That way, if it ever happens again, you can disassemble it with just a couple of wrenches.

Using a step stabilizer is a "hassle" but it does a great job of stabilizing the steps and protecting them from collapsing under a heavy load.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
fireidiot

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to replace the steps and have a welder reattach the chains.

The latch is lubed up and still sticking. I've narrowed the problem down to the strike box. I'll fix it with my dremel.

Thanks again, the wealth of knowledge here is tremendous.