Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
lescarp2

Cleaning debris from top of slide-outs

Looking for suggestions on the best way to clean pine cones, branches, or any other debris that may have gotten onto the top of the slideouts while camping to ensure debris does not get caught as the slideouts are closed. I'd rather not bring along a ladder to get up high enough to check. Has anyone come up with a clever tool to brush off the tops of the slideouts prior to closing or have a method that works well?

2011 Laredo 303TG
2008 Ford F250 diesel
lescarp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lescarp2 View Post
Looking for suggestions on the best way to clean pine cones, branches, or any other debris that may have gotten onto the top of the slideouts while camping to ensure debris does not get caught as the slideouts are closed. I'd rather not bring along a ladder to get up high enough to check. Has anyone come up with a clever tool to brush off the tops of the slideouts prior to closing or have a method that works well?
My last trailer before I bought a 5th wheel had a small couch slide without an awning. I was forever trying to come up with ways to clean it outside before sliding back in. I dealt with the same problems never found a solution.. New Unit, one of the first things I did was put a slide covers on. I know they're not exactly cheap, but I think well worth the money.. No more pulling in the slide after or during rain and having to towel dry the top once inside.. My recommendation is to consider installing one or having one installed. Long run you'll be very happy you did..

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #3
cdevill

I have a nice fold up ladder but as far as cleaning I've used my leaf blower and worked super. even good for getting the water off of it if there is any sitting up there then I dried it off with a beach towel before running it in. The ladder is one of those adjustable height that's a step ladder and also folds out to a 17' as well so I use it at home and in the rv.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

I have to agree with Maxzd. If your pocketbook allows you to, go out and buy a slide cover(s). It not only helps prevent debris from getting caught up in your slide but also to reduce the chances of water/rain from finding its way inside.

IMO, a slide topper is one of those "gotta have" upgrades.

You should still make a visual check of the slide topper for small branches, etc that may have blown onto it.
Having a small or collapsible ladder is still a good thing to bring along if you have the room to store it. There is always something you can't quite reach!
Old 02-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
campingcpl

I usually just back the truck up next to the slide and stand on the bed and use a broom to brush off any leaves or branches.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
ftwildernessguy

I carry a small stepladder which fits in the front storage area of the Outback. I use a snow brush with an adjustable handle and a rubber squeegee on one side to clear the slideout roof. Takes about 2 minutes.
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingcpl View Post
I usually just back the truck up next to the slide and stand on the bed and use a broom to brush off any leaves or branches.

I do the same with the truck but I use a cordless leaf-blower ... very quiet and works good to keep leaves off a patio if we have one at the site.
JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
Snoopdog

whats a snowbrush.....lol
Old 02-20-2011, 07:09 AM   #9
Flyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopdog View Post
I think it's a tool or something for that white stuff or maybe it's for dandruff.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopdog View Post
Cruel ...... very cruel! ....

[IMG][/IMG]
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
chuck&gail

Slide Top

We carry a stepladder that folds up to about 5" x 5" x 6 feet. That way I can see up there. To clean stuff off I bought a brush made to wash RV's with that has an extendable handle, works perfect.
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #12
DTJ9610

Never thought about the snow brushes. Now I can use them year round...
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #13
DEW

I agree the slide topper is a great addition. I had it on my last TT and made sure the dealership threw it in when I made the offer on my 2011 Laredo I ordered a month ago. They are to install it before I pick it up.
Sounds like I need to go to Costco though and by a collapsable step ladder. Everyon here seems to find use for it...
2003 Avalanche 5.3L w/ 4:10 gears
Reese HP Dual Cam
DEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:46 AM   #14
Wing-in-it

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxzd View Post
My last trailer before I bought a 5th wheel had a small couch slide without an awning. I was forever trying to come up with ways to clean it outside before sliding back in. I dealt with the same problems never found a solution.. New Unit, one of the first things I did was put a slide covers on. I know they're not exactly cheap, but I think well worth the money.. No more pulling in the slide after or during rain and having to towel dry the top once inside.. My recommendation is to consider installing one or having one installed. Long run you'll be very happy you did..
I would love to have a slide cover.....however after calling Keystone they said there is no support for a slide cover on my unit & would void my warranty if installed. Just an FYI for all! Check before you make the purchase!

Mark
Wing-in-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #15
Retired_Jim

Mark, this info seems strange and unbelievable coming from Keystone. Are you sure they were talking about the awning covers and not something like using "slide out supports" or "slide out locks"? I for one and many "thousands" of others are using slide out awnings with great success.

2006 GMC Yukon XL
2010 Keystone Springdale 266RLSSR
Retired_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #16
Wing-in-it

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_Jim View Post
Mark, this info seems strange and unbelievable coming from Keystone. Are you sure they were talking about the awning covers and not something like using "slide out supports" or "slide out locks"? I for one and many "thousands" of others are using slide out awnings with great success.
Yes Jim I'm sure...I called them myself....I also asked about a ladder for the back & they said the same thing...No ladder substrate either. The Keystone rep even noted that there was a place for the awning on the curb side but nothing to screw into on the street side for the slide cover. I thought it was odd myself.....maybe I got a dummy on the phone from Keystone????

So for now it's a ladder, a broom & beach towel to clean off the slide.

Mark

2015 Fuzion 325
2020 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Aisin
Chesterfield, VA.
Wing-in-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #17
Springdale 298

I've found that most campgrounds have a maintenance shed. I've asked on a couple of occassions to use a ladder owned by the campground to sweep of any debris. This was only in a wooded site of course when we had a little wind that left some debris on the slide. Just my 2 cents. Find that carrying a ladder just takes too much room.
Equalizer Sway Control
Springdale 298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #18
woodsters

We use a broom or a leaf blower. We have a ladder we keep in the outside storage...I've thought about the toppers, but never have the extra money laying around for that. Especially since stuff can get underneat them and you still need to get up there and check. Might as well take the broom with when I am checking and save the money...
woodsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #19
Mighty Ming

Is it wrong to climb up the factory mounted ladder to clean the slide? Thought most had mounted ladders. I realize the less one treads on the roof the better. I don't make it a habit to crawl around up there, but if I have to sweep the slide I do. Am I wrong to do this? Thanks and Good Times!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #20
Festus2
Site Team

No, you are not wrong to do this as the roof is designed to take the weight. Some people place a cushioned piece of plywood underneath when working or walking on the roof so as to distribute the weight more evenly but this isn't absolutely necessary. I'd make sure that my shoes are clean and grip well and, of course, exercise care and common sense while up there.