Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
Moncanam

Question fuzion gaz in the fuel tank for winter

I have a Fuzion and this summer I had put fuel in the tank, but because of the large surface of the tank I cought not used all the fuel Inside, there is some left and I won't use the Fuzion for all winter. How coud i remove the fuel or what shoud I do with it ?
Moncanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
bsmith0404

Fill the tank to prevent condensation and use Sta-bil. Your other option is to drain the tank, if there isn't a drain, pull the fuel line and drain. For the generator, you can go either route. With either, shut the fuel feed off to the carb and run the engine until it dies or drain the float bowl. The biggest concern is varnish in the carb from old fuel. Sta-bil will help, but getting the gas out of the carb is the best way to prevent it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
christopherglenn

If it is the fuel station, put in 2x the stabil as recommended - based on how much fuel you think is in the tank, and use the hose to pump fuel back into the fuel station, you are trying to mix it. For the generator tank, get a 5 gallon gas can, put 20 gallons worth of stabil in it (4oz?), top with gas, and dump it in the generator tank. Then run the generator with the AC on for at least 5-10 minutes to get the stabil in the carb. You should be exercising the generator 20-30 min a month under load anyway to keep the windings dry, this is as good as a time to do this months run while you are there.
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2010 GMC Yukon The Bus
2005 Chevrolet 2500 CC/SB Duramax 4X4 Hers (sold)
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
christopherglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:17 AM   #4
JAL

If you can find gas without ethanol in it, fill it with that. It is more expensive and tough to find a station that sells it but much better if you are leaving it sit for a while. Still add your stabil.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:32 AM   #5
gilpinbrewer

Even better than sta-bil is add seafoam to the tanks. It conditions gas for up to 2 years of storage. I use this stuff in everything and never have a problem with varnish or gumming up.
gilpinbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:42 AM   #6
bsmith0404

Seafoam is good stuff. I've used it in the past as well to "tune-up" the carb. I normally use it in the first tank after the storage season. Have never used it for storage purposes. Guess I'll have to look into/consider it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:03 AM   #7
Desert185

This new gas doesn't seem to varnish like older blends. It just looses it's strength. I used to have gas delivered to my house in rural Nevada, but stopped because I couldn't use it fast enough.

One day, the quad wouldn't start. I did everything to troubleshoot the problem, including changing the spark plug, which looked bad. I finally put fresh gas in it and it ran fine. The company came to retrieve the tank and gave me credit for the remaining gas!

Running float bowls dry as extra insurance and religiously using Stabil has eliminated any old gas problems for me. Living in the desert, I haven't had any problems with condensation in anything not having a full tank (including my airplane that has sump drains for water elimination), so filling the tank for a storage period isn't a concern. I just use Stabil, and then there is room for fresh gas when I want to use the vehicle again.

As a side note, aviation gas (it's leaded) is so much more stable than car gas that storage without additives isn't required. I'm told a lot of fire departments use it in their gas powered rescue equipment for start/run reliability. It works great in my Honda 1000 gen for fly in camping. No need to carry the fire hazard of full gas cans in the plane when there's plenty in the wings.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #8
Whitehouse

Are these tanks still metal? Keystone informed me they weren't. Haven't verified though. I've left mine full and empty & never used any additives. Haven't had a problem yet.
Whitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #9
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
This new gas doesn't seem to varnish like older blends. It just looses it's strength. I used to have gas delivered to my house in rural Nevada, but stopped because I couldn't use it fast enough.

One day, the quad wouldn't start. I did everything to troubleshoot the problem, including changing the spark plug, which looked bad. I finally put fresh gas in it and it ran fine. The company came to retrieve the tank and gave me credit for the remaining gas!

Running float bowls dry as extra insurance and religiously using Stabil has eliminated any old gas problems for me. Living in the desert, I haven't had any problems with condensation in anything not having a full tank (including my airplane that has sump drains for water elimination), so filling the tank for a storage period isn't a concern. I just use Stabil, and then there is room for fresh gas when I want to use the vehicle again.

As a side note, aviation gas (it's leaded) is so much more stable than car gas that storage without additives isn't required. I'm told a lot of fire departments use it in their gas powered rescue equipment for start/run reliability. It works great in my Honda 1000 gen for fly in camping. No need to carry the fire hazard of full gas cans in the plane when there's plenty in the wings.
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner.....if you can get it AVGAS is the way to go for any non catalytic convertor engines. The amount of Lead in AVGAS is very minimal also. Not a big deal. Our fuel here does not contain ethanol but I still like to store my power-sports equipment with AVGAS, especial the bikes over the long winter here.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #10
FusionFZ371

Pretty sure the generator folks want you to run the genny's under load at least half an hour per month.. For warranty's sake anyway. it's probably not a bad idea anyhow.
2005 350 Banshee SE
FusionFZ371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:49 PM   #11
Way Of Life

From reading the owners manual that came with our unit Onan recommends a product called Onafresh. I'm sure Stabil is a comparable product but I choose to use the recommended products. Also the bottle of Onafresh will treat 40 gallons.....I am certain that using the full bottle to treat my 30 gallon tanks is acceptable.

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/mobile...p/55-9550.htm=
.....and a Yorkie who thinks he rules the world.
Way Of Life is offline   Reply With Quote