Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
bsmith0404

Maiden Voyage

We finally made our maiden voyage with our new Alpine 3500 RE over Easter. The shakedown trip went great, no issues with anything until we were packing up. Found out our black tank flush wouldn't work. When I disconnected the water hose there was a lot of back pressure. Took it in for warranty work, turns out there was too much silicone somewhere at one of the connections that plugged the line. Doesn't sound right or normal, but it's working now so I don't really care what fixed it. The best part, the dealer also found a leaking low drain point while they were in there and fixed that as well.

The only other problem, trying to get used to the settings with a heat pump and front AC unit. Have never owned an RV with either of these features. The dual zone thermostat is pretty easy to set. I played around with it all a bit trying different options/settings each night. I think I'm going to add adjustable heat register vents to the bathroom and bedroom to be able to shut them down a bit. All in all, we love this Alpine. The first thing my DW noticed, after we were all done packing our typical supplies which normally left us looking for any nook and cranny for storage space, we had had several empty cupboards. I'm sure she'll find something to put in them.

This was also my first trip using the TST 507 TPMS. What a great tool, these should be standard equipment on every RV! Easy to install, program, and read. One of the best purchases I have ever made. I do not have the flow through sensors, used the standard sensors on stock valve stems. No issues with rubbing like some experienced also had no issues with losing a signal like some have complained, and this is a 40' 5er.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Other than a couple of minor problems it seems like your maiden voyage was a success. Let's hope that all of your subsequent trips are trouble-free. Yes, your wife is bound of find something that can be stuffed in those empty cupboards. Can't have those in an RV - otherwise people might think it is far too big. Safe travels from now on.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:33 AM   #3
Kristi

Glad to hear you had a good trip! Hope you have many more this season!

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #4
berg

Always good to hear a successful maiden voyage!

We had a smooth one as well, other than the weather not cooperating. Only real hiccup was not packing a spaghetti noodle scooper. LOL Oh and the side level I just put on sprung a leak so when we arrived I had no bubble to tell me how I was sitting. Had to eyeball it but we managed.

I did find I may repack where a few things are for easier access when unhooking/hooking.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure we had a few cabinets that didn't even get opened.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:09 AM   #5
bsmith0404

That reminds, the 6 point leveler is a dream, unhooked, pulled the truck out of the way, pushed the button and about a minute later had a perfectly level RV that was more stable than anything I've had in the past. I'm giving my king pin tri-pod to my dad, no need to lug that thing around anymore.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote