Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #1
Awasos

Atwood HE-0601R fridge not cooling

Good morning, I am new to your site and I was hoping to find some useful information. My wife and I recently purchased a brand new 2014 Passport 2300BH. We have had several truck campers in the past and decided it was time to move to something bigger. We purchased the camper on 4/1/14 (perhaps a bad idea) and brought it home and plugged it in. The fridge was on auto mode and running on AC. The following weekend I was unloading the old camper to put stuff in the new when I realized that the new fridge was 56 deg as well as in the freezer. I spent the next few days checking level, running on gas, running in manual mode vs. automatic. Nothing changed, and called Atwood as well as the dealer I bought it from and they both thought I should have it looked at. I took it to my local dealer which is about 15 miles away and dropped it off. I called the next afternoon to see what they had found and they told me that they brought the camper in the shop plugged it in and the fridge cooled to 35 deg. So I made an appointment to pick it up last Friday but asked that they start the fridge on gas so I could see it cold when I picked it up. Sure enough it was about 35 deg in the fridge so I brought it home. I checked it again Saturday evening still about 34-36 deg, however I was in it last night and the fridge was 50 deg and the freezer was 18-20 deg. It was around 74deg outside at my house yesterday, the camper sits in the shadow of the house and according to a 4' level on the floor it is level front to back and a 0.5 deg lean towards the passenger side of the camper. Last night I put 4 20oz bottles of water in it to see if it helped regulate temp as well as a freeze pack in the freezer and this morning the fridge was 47 deg and the freezer was still around 17-20deg and it was 62 deg outside and the fridge has been set on level 3 since it got back. Does anyone have any thoughts or experienced anything like this? I look forward to any and all advice so I do not have to spend my summer taking the camper to the dealer so that they can tell me the fridge works fine in their shop!
Awasos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:28 AM   #2
440justin

Do you have the temperature setting all the way down? That is the first thing I would check.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
Awasos

It has setting 1 through 5, 1 being the warmest and 5 being the coldest. I have it set on 3 which was maintaining 35 but today its almost 50. Before taking it the repair shop I did run it for a day on the highest and then a day on the lowest setting with no change.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a thread about a year old on the forum regarding this issue with Atwood Helium refrigerators. It seems the control board will switch from auto (electric) to gas one time, then when the refrigerator cools down and the gas cycles, it will not turn on again when the refrigerator warms up. If I recall correctly, it works as designed on electric, and only has issues on gas, and then, only if the refrigerator is in AUTO and cycles itself to gas.

When the RV is unplugged, the refrigerator resets to "AUTO" and when the refrigerator is plugged in or turned on, it will work as designed the first time gas is called for. Then, when it cycles, it will not turn back on.

So, your refrigerator was turned off for a time when being towed to the dealer. He plugged it in, it worked well, if he unplugged it, it would continue to operate. The issue is about 8 to 10 hours later when the thermostat calls for more gas operation. That's when it fails...

The fix is to remove and replace the control board. You might want to do a forum search for Atwood, or Helium refrigerator and find that thread to get more information.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:47 AM   #5
Awasos

Thank you for your for your comments. I am not sure my fridge is having the same issues. Since it has been home from the repair shop it has only been on electric. It is on auto so it might be switching to gas without me knowing, however it should have had no reason to as it has been plugged in. The comments from a Tech from Atwood was to put bottles of water in it as well as a bottle of liquid with a thermometer in it to check the actual temp of materials in the fridge not just air temp. I did all of those things and by 10:30 last night the fridge was 54 deg and the freezer was 42 deg. This morning the fridge was 50 and the ice pack in the freezer was completely melted and it was 22 deg outside. I guess it is time to take it back to the repair shop and hope that it does not work for them!
Old 04-17-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
chadws

In march I just got a 2014 passport with the Atwood HE-0601R fridge it was doing the same thing took it back to the dealer they replaced it with a new one it did the same thing im on the 3rd one now its working good but the dealer said if this on goes out the will replace it with a different make of frig.
chadws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
Awasos

chadws, that is not what I want to hear! Mine is going back on the 28th for its second time for the fridge and was told to expect at least 2 weeks before I will get it back. I have searched a lot on the internet and I could not find anyone that was having this issue with their fridge. Did they ever determine what caused the failure in the first 2 units? Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated so I let my service guys know. Thank you
Old 04-18-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't know if you've done a forum search for "helium" or "Atwood Helium" or "Helium refrigerator" but if you haven't, you might want to check the past threads. There are a number of members who have experienced many of the same symptoms as you. Their accounts of what worked to repair their refrigerator are contained in many of the responses.

You might want to start with this thread: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...ghlight=helium

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #9
chadws

They just replaced them both times did not tell me what was wrong. when I done the pre check before i signed my paper work the frig was at 50 degs. I told them i would be back the next day to sign and check temp of frig next day it was still at 50. so they replaced it with one from another unit or they said they did. it did not work so they told me three weeks to get another I told them i would not wait that long so they over nighted one from a supply house. on both of the other frig. the both showed no faults on the board.
chadws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:24 AM   #10
Awasos

I must say that at this time I am not all that impressed with Keystone's customer service or the customer service of the repair center that I brought it to. I brought it in for a second time for the fridge a week ago and I can not get anyone from the service center or Keystone to call me back so that I can find out what the issue is or how long I can expect it will take to get it resolved. I understand that it is potentially a busy time for them however a little communication does not seem out of the question. It is a shame, my wife and I love the camper but after this experience I do not believe I would buy another Keystone!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Have you contacted Atwood to see if they have a service center near your location? They may have another brand of RV dealer's service center, a boat dealer or even a major trucking company that could (would be happy to) service your refrigerator. It's not a "Keystone specific" refrigerator.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-06-2014, 06:04 AM   #12
timkatavl

Similar Problem!

I just read your postings and this thread. We are experiencing a very similar problem with our Atwood refrigerator. In March, we purchased a 2014 Premier 19FBPR. Our first extended trip for 11 nights ended last weekend. Fridge cooled down appropriately before we left and cycled to gas when we unplugged from our home. We had 30 amp power at the campground and it auto cycled to ac. However, the second day, the temp rose to near 50. We turned the fridge up to 4, but the third day, it still was around 48! Went to Wal-Mart and bought a cooler! Turned the fridge all the way up at this point but it remained 47 to 48 for days. We read the manual and changed the settings to manual and it still would not cool down below 45 with the temp turned all the way up. We also tried turning the unit off and then back on every morning. What is really strange... about two days before we left, it started cooling down again. It was in manual ac mode but it maintained 32 on our drive back when we manually changed it to gas. We have an appt. to take it to Camping World tomorrow but it seems to be working OK now (although it is set on 4). My question is....should we still take it in and ask them to replace the control unit?
timkatavl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:03 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

timkatavl,

The Atwood "helium" refrigerator is a new product introduced (I think) last year. Chances are that if you take it in for service, the tech will have little or no experience with it. He will probably turn it on, put a thermometer in the freezer and wait a few hours. If it cools, he'll call you in a week to come pick it up and tell you he couldn't find anything wrong.

You might want to call the customer service line at Atwood and discuss the issue with the only "real experts" that you know you can talk to and get their recommendations. They have more experience with this model refrigerator than almost all the service techs at the dealerships. Besides, a phone call keeps your RV in the yard, not at the dealership for weeks unless there's really a problem...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-06-2014, 07:06 AM   #14
timkatavl

Thanks for the advice! We will call Atwood!
Old 05-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #15
Awasos

When I took the camper to the service center the first time that is exactly what happened. The tech turned the unit on and checked the thermometer and saw is was cooling and told me it was ready to be picked up the next day. Then 2 days after I got it home it started to warm up again. I called Attwood and they recommended that I out bottles of rv antifreeze with thermometer in them in the freezer and cooler and record the temps in both as well as the in the camper every 12 hours. I did that for almost two weeks while I waited for my next appointment. When I brought the camper in the second time for the fridge I brought all of that information to give to the tech. The service center requested authorization from Keystone to replace the fridge the next day. It took Keystone one week to grant the authorization which came this Tuesday and I was told today that the fridge might be sent this Friday or next Monday and will take a week to deliver.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:36 AM   #16
{tpc}

Awasos, are they replacing the fridge with the same one? If so, wouldn't it have the same issue?

We too just bought a 2300bh. On our first trip, the fridge seemed to work fine, though, I'll probably pay more (and likely too much) attention to it now.

My observations after I turned it on the night before the trip (plugged into house ac and in Auto AC mode) and checked it in the morning was that it didn't seem cold after being on "5" the entire night (probably about a 10 hour period). I read in the manual that if its not level, that it will auto shut off, and I thought maybe that was what had happened. To my surprise when I got home later that day about 3, it was nice and cold in both the freezer and the fridge. I shut everything off before we left, down the the main breaker, and started it up after we got to the campsite and it was fine the whole time.

Maybe we got lucky, or maybe our luck is related to shutting power all the way off? I also remove the battery when we have it in storage, if that matters at all.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:58 AM   #17
Awasos

{tpc} Keystone has authorized the replacement of my fridge, I have been unable to find out what was wrong with the first one but hopefully it was just rare faulty one. It will be another two weeks before I get it back to see how the new one performs. RV fridge to take some time to feel cool and it does help to have bottles of water or something for the fridge to absorb heat from. Also as far as monitoring the fridge I have purchased a wireless thermometer with two sensors so the freezer and cooler can be monitored without having to open the fridge and records high and low temps.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:14 AM   #18
timkatavl

Thanks for keeping us posted. Our's is at the dealership now and we are waiting on their evaluation. Will let you know what they tell us.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2014, 08:14 AM   #19
{tpc}

Thanks for the update! Interested in seeing how this plays out. We are going out again at the end of this month, so if I run into any fridge issues, I'll let ya know.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #20
timkatavl

So....Camping World has had the camper for a week tomorrow. I called today to find out what the status is and they said the refrigerator works fine on gas, but on AC, it does not and the temp went up to 55 degrees. They checked the power intake, etc. and everything checked out OK, so now they are waiting on Atwood techs to let them know what the next step is. We too have a trip planned beginning the 23rd of this month!

Tags
atwood, passport