Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
homer3

Break Controller

I have an older brake controller that I used for past TT now using with 5er @ 12500 gross weight. Not really sue of the difference between controller except they supply 12v current to electric brakes. When starting out on trip I always manually hold controller to make sure 5er brakes are working and will at least hold TV without applying to much RPM. I m just not sure controller is adequate. Any suggestions on preferred make and model. I really thinking about replacing and would like some feedback before I go shopping. Dealers or RV parts stores I'm sure will tell U anything just to make a sell.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If your brake controller worked with a tandem axle trailer in the recent past, it should work with the new fifth wheel. Axles and brakes on RV's haven't changed much in the last 20 or so years. I'm thinking that your new fifth wheel brakes aren't properly adjusted. Many times, when new components are assembled, it takes a couple hundred miles for them to "wear in" and once that happens, the initial adjustment will need to be reaccomplished.

Before you go spending money you don't need to spend on a new brake controller. Crawl under your RV and adjust the brakes, I'm thinking you'll find it stops just fine after that.....

Good Luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

What make and model are you using now. It may not be adjusted right for the heavier trailer. I have been using my Prodigy since the early '90s and it is still as good as anything out there today (IMO). It has been in three trucks and as long as it keeps working it will go in my next truck. ("Next Truck" I hope the DW doesn't read this.)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
What make and model are you using now. It may not be adjusted right for the heavier trailer. I have been using my Prodigy since the early '90s and it is still as good as anything out there today (IMO). It has been in three trucks and as long as it keeps working it will go in my next truck. ("Next Truck" I hope the DW doesn't read this.)
Hank,
If you buy a new 2013 and later truck from the big three they now include an integral brake controller in the towing package. Must users on "TDR" have said this by far is the best that they have seen except for the "Brake Smart" style controllers, that were sold in the past.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #5
Pmedic4

Break Controller - I'm disappointed...

Yeah, saw the title of the thread, and thought - Wow, someone has invented a way to keep me from Breaking things in my RV!

However, I did see the comment about the Integral brake controller - and made me think about mine. I have a 2012 Ram with the integral brake controller, and you are able to set the level - If I remember correctly, it comes set at 5.0.
I've looked in the manuals to see what I should set it at, but don't find anything which gives real instructions on setting this value. I've changed it several times, and really haven't seen a difference in how it works but have it currently set at 7.0 - and my only logical answer is that my RV is towards the heavier end of the towing capacity of my TV, therefore the setting should be towards the higher number.
Anyone else had experience with this, or found better information regarding the settings?

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

PMedic4,

If I remember correctly, your factory installed brake controller has 4 "initial settings" and then the "intensity" setting to which you refer.

Is it possible that you have the initial setting on "Light Electric" rather than on "Heavy Electric" ??? That would cause your "intensity" setting to be very light rather than strong enough to apply enough current to activate the brakes on a heavier trailer.

If you go to your initial setup, you should see "Light EOH" or "Heavy EOH" You need to set up your trailer (Trailer 1, Trailer 2, etc) for a "Heavy EOH" in order to get enough braking current to activate your trailer brakes effectively.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote