Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
sjturbo

Power inlet conversion?

Our (new to us), Laredo 316RL has the stuff in the box 30A power cord that is located near the rear of the unit. Problem is we boondock often and count on our generator for additional power when needed. On our previous TT we had the generator mounted on the rear bumper. Since our 316 has windows in the rear the generator is a bit louder. I would like to install a "power inlet" in its place and also put one near the front of the 5er since we will likely be keeping the genny in the bed of the truck from now on. Can any one see any issues with this? Thanks in advance for your inputs!
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
diugo
Permanent User Ban

By "power inlet" I presume you mean some kind of male three-prong plug?

The concern I have is that if you have two of these things wired in parallel, then the unused one represents a possible shock/fire hazard when 120VAC is plugged into the other one.

The real problem you're trying to solve is that the trailer's 30A cord just isn't long enough to reach the truck bed. Ordinarily, one solves this dilemma by using a simple extension cord. But if it's a typical short extension cord, the junction could get wet. The right solution? Mount a 30A outlet inside the stuff box. Connect it to 10-3 flexible cable running under the trailer to the front compartment and then into the kingpin box. Add whatever additional length you need to reach the genny, and terminate it with a standard plug.

Then when you boondock, you plug your 30A cord into the new outlet, and you plug the new "120V umbilical" into your genny.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
MarkS

Dieugo, I think a Male Male extension cord is a much worse shock, short circuit hazard. I think you are saying use the MM extension cord to plug into the outlet at the trailer and generator? If the cord pulls out at the trailer, you have a hot male plug with hot exposed parts. JM2c.

Simplest is to just use an appropriate extension cord to plug into the standard power connectors at the trailer and genny.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
diugo
Permanent User Ban

I never said anything about a male-to-male extension cord. Read my post again.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
christopherglenn

He is referring to a permanent extension cord with the female end mounted by the existing power inlet, and the male end cut to length to reach the generator at the front end of the trailer.
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2010 GMC Yukon The Bus
2005 Chevrolet 2500 CC/SB Duramax 4X4 Hers (sold)
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
christopherglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
sjturbo

Thanks for the reply's and concern for safety! I understand the issue of the hot connection in the rear while using the front. I would not have a problem but it could be a safety issue for others. I'm not real keen on the extension cord due to adding another "link" in the chain and the safety issue that it could bring. I suppose I could move the connection mid ship. Then a 30' power cable could service either end adequately. Anyone tried that?
Old 08-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

original idea with simple fix

If you go with two twistlock inlets just screw a haps lock to each and use one lock on the inlet not in use.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
sjturbo

Thanks flybouy! Sounds like a plan!
Old 08-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #9
allmi01

marinco makes a shore power cnversion kit to take your existing power cordset and make it into a detachable one. A litle pricey however this would be a solution as you could then make the shore power cordset as long as needed to reach the truck bed. One cordset for all uses. Optionally you could make up a special cordset with the correct plug for your generator to use that way (and obviously a longer cordset) and a second one for use with normal shore power.

My .02 cents worth.