Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
pinfarmer

Cheaply made decals - profession experience

I think people need to know a bit of info regarding these CRAP decals.
I had a person ask me to replace the decals on his RV- a copper ridge.
The decals are the "arlon" brand of wrap vinyls. This is a Cheap cheap brand.
Second the decals are not laminated! This should never be done. Every print, wrap vinyl or not has to be laminated to protect it from UV and make it last longer. It's never an option to NOT but they do to save money I guess.
I tried applying the replacement decal to the front hump, over a compound curve. Since its near impossible to apply the thin unlaminated decals they placed what is called " pre-mask" over it to stiffen it and make it easier to install.
Well with pre-mask you lose all the conformability properties wrap vinyl has. Therefor it was impossible for me to install it. Remember i do vehicle wraps professionally. The original was made of two pieces butted together.
So it ended up looking terrible and had to be removed. You need proper materials to install over a shape like this. The flat stuff and smaller stuff was fine to install. But it will again fail in short order.
When ordering replacements tell them to stop being cheap and laminate thier ****.
Instead of doing a favour for a guy I now am on the hook to redraw the art and make a proper decal that CAN be installed.
When I do a vehicle wrap I use 3m materials and they last.
His whole newer trailer's vinyl was brittle and peeling. We'd be out of business if we cut corners like this.
pinfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
raytronx

What would you recommend as a good method to remove these decals without hurting the filon? Just curious, I'm not a big fan of decals, actually would have preferred the trailer blank, then if I want decals I'd get them.

Often think of getting rid of mine but afraid of opening up a can of worms.

Ray

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
pinfarmer

I'm not a trailer owner. I did not remove the old decals, the guy did.
Buy I've removed a lot of them in my day on other vehicles.
A hair dryer or careful use of a heat gun will warm up the vinyl, make it soft and easier to peel off.
Afterwards get your hands on a product called Rapid Remover to get all the glue residue off.
You'll have to buy it through a sign shop. ( $50/gallon)
Beleive me if you try to use goo gone you'll spend the rest of your life trying to remove the glue. Its really watered down garbage. Buy the professional stuff.
The longer the vinyl has been on the more brittle it will be and will thus come off in smaller pieces(take longer)
The other option is to goto NAPA and get an eraser wheel to install in a drill.
This will grip the decal and take it off. Only use this if the vinyl is not coming off any other way. Watch that you don't burn the paint.
pinfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
raytronx

Thanks, I used the hair dryer method before on another vehicle, works well.
Rapid Remover hey, thanks, always good to get tips from pros

Cheers Ray

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Ozarkcamper

Exclamation Dead Decals

I think my Keystone Montana 3400RL would look really really ugly without the decals. I think the manufacturer (Keystone) should step up to the plate and get their supplier to replace these.
2007 Keystone Montana 3400RL, with bad decals, pulled by a 2012 F-350 Lariet with 6.7L Powerstroke. Best pulling truck I have had. Me old 2007 GMC Duramax/Allison shot craps going up very steep incline and the tranny couldn't handle it.
Ozarkcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
Rock7

keystone graphics

Originals were Burlington Graphics.com.
They seem to have invested into a Graphics PAINTING co. And I can't get them to answer an e-mail.
Replacement graphics business is suspended temporarily, Been at least 2 years.
I have made contact with Graphics Unlimited,and am trying to work w/them.
Trailer is 90 miles away and they need a front,side and rear picture to match the graphics. 2008 Cougar

Anybody do any business with GRAPHICS UNLIMITED .COM?
Rock7 is offline   Reply With Quote