Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
smbrouss70

Our first camper - Outback 316RL

Hello all! We are going to be picking up our new Outback 316RL on Saturday morning and towing it home with my 2012 Silverado 1500 Crew cab.

We have used my In-Laws camper for the past couple of years, but just once a year or less, so we are not totally new to RV'ing. We have been talking about getting our own for a while now, but when I figured out that I could bring it to Texas with me for work and get paid for using it, instead of spending thousands every month on Hotels, it was a no-brainer.

We are both super-excited and now my wife can come visit me on the weekends and bring our son (7 year old English Bulldog mix) without having to worry about whether the hotel will accept pets. Although she is already planning many other trips too!
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
therink

Congrats on the new Outback. I'm sure you will love .
What axle ratio does your 1500 have? That is a lot of trailer to be pulling with a half ton. If you are mostly traveling in flat area you should be Ok, but definitely over the payload rating GVWR on the truck. I believe the loaded tongue will be around 1200 lbs. Make sure you have a very good WD hitch such as a Reese dual cam.
Enjoy.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Congratulations on your new RV and welcome to the forum. Check out the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) checklist that you will find in the first post in the Keystone Questions section of the forum. It's a handy guide on what to check and will certainly help you remember everything as you're going through your new RV with the dealership.

Since summer's in full swing in south Louisiana, grab some "skeeter stuff" and hit the campgrounds, there's a world of fun waiting for you

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
smbrouss70

The truck has 3.42's right now, soon to be 3.73's. I am also adding helper bags and a supercharger for more low end torque soon. The truck is rated for 9600 pounds from the factory, but it will handle more when I am done. It's cheaper to do this then trading in a 6 month old truck for one $20K more than this one was.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

[QUOTE=smbrouss70;77855]The truck has 3.42's right now, soon to be 3.73's. I am also adding helper bags and a supercharger for more low end torque soon. The truck is rated for 9600 pounds from the factory, but it will handle more when I am done. QUOTE]

Just a reminder that adding airbags or spring helpers will not increase your towing capacity or payload. They can help to make the ride a bit more comfortable and to level out the TV and the TT but that is it.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
smbrouss70

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Congratulations on your new RV and welcome to the forum. Check out the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) checklist that you will find in the first post in the Keystone Questions section of the forum. It's a handy guide on what to check and will certainly help you remember everything as you're going through your new RV with the dealership.

Since summer's in full swing in south Louisiana, grab some "skeeter stuff" and hit the campgrounds, there's a world of fun waiting for you
Thanks! I have already found that checklist and it is printed out and in the truck already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Just a reminder that adding airbags or spring helpers will not increase your towing capacity or payload. They can help to make the ride a bit more comfortable and to level out the TV and the TT but that is it.
Thanks for the reminder, but I am aware of this and will be putting a GOOD W/D hitch on it for that very reason.

This model has a dry tongue weight of 880#, so 1200# loaded is fine with me as the In-Law's camper that we have pulled is 1475# dry tongue weight with a front kitchen. Cajun women like their black iron pots... That is the very reason I wanted to find a camper with the kitchen over the axles.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
smbrouss70

We were not able to pick up the camper on Saturday as planned due to an awning recall. I did pick it up on Monday after they got the parts in and installed.

After looking at the weights over and over again until I was blue in the face, I came to the same conclusion that you guys did... I need a bigger truck!

Since I couldn't take the camper home and start loading it up on Saturday, I went truck shopping. I did take a little loss on the half-ton, but the rebates they were offering on the HD trucks more than made up for it. I ended up taking home a 2013 Silverado 2500HD Crewcab Standard bed Z71 LTZ with the Duramax. I don't think I will have any issues anymore after feeling the power of that diesel engine. I even picked out a Mocha Steel Metallic one that comes as close as possible to matching the front cap of the new camper!!

I'll try to get some pictures up this weekend. I love our new setup, it is what we have been wanting for ourselves for a very long time.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
vallboss2

CONGRATS! YOU WILL LOVE YOUR NEW CAMPER