Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
MikeEcho

So, I have a question for a fifth wheel.

I have a 2012 341TG Keystone Avalanche and the battery is shot. It was an SRM24 12 V deep cycle.

I'm considering replacing with 2 golf cart batteries in series either from Costco or Interstate.

I think it will fit, but will measure to make sure. So, the question is of form and fit, I'm confident that the function will work. The battery compartment is on the passenger side of the Fifth Wheel. The tray is black angle iron and the compartment is open to the road on the bottom.

From interstate, the batteries are 68 lbs each, so if they fit, I'm looking at about 140 lbs on that tray.

Has anyone else replaced your 12v's with 2 6v's in this keystone type tray? Were you worried about the weight at all? Did you have any issues fitting the batteries in? I get that they'll be heavy and will probably be cumbersome to move in and out. I just want to make sure that they'll fit and the tray or rack will safely hold the batts.

Just would like to know if anyone else has done this and it works. Did it require mods?

thanks

BTW, I'm a new owner, the fifth wheel is about 4 months old and we want to take it out here in a couple of weeks.

So, this is all new to me. Would appreciate any help or advice here.
MikeEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
PerryB

My batt. box is in the generator compartment but I had some concern for that much weight focused on a fairly small area of the floor so I sheeted the floor with 5/8 ply to spread the load. I know what type of mount you are talking about and if worried, it should be a pretty simple job for a welding/fab shop to add some type of a gusset or brace to strengthen the tray. Two golf cart batteries is THE way to go. I also changed out all my commonly used interior lamps with LED''s. They use about 1/8 the amperage per lumen as an incandescent bulb.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
MikeEcho

Thanks,

The battery rack is wide enough to hold 2 batteries.

The original battery that came with it is 45 lbs, putting 2 in to fill the rack is 90 lbs.

I'm thinking that going up to 140 lbs is not much of a stretch, but I would consider having a shop install another brace.

Ya, I'm pretty much already there with installing the two 6 volts. Just don't want to worry about them while I'm driving down the highway.

I have that generator box too, I would consider that as well. Prolly a good idea to vent that area whether you put a generator or batteries in it.

Mel
MikeEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
BobnLee

I have a 26Sab Cougar and I put in a 2nd 12 volt battery with a switch so I can run on both batteries or battery 1 battery 2 or both to the off position. I put the battery box in the front compartment, bolted it down and drilled a hole in the thin metal through to the battery compartment seems to be working just fine.
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
SmittysRV

I have a 2012 Raptor 4014 and just did 6 volts and love them... Fit fine and are great for dry camping..

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Bluewater

We are now down south in the warm but as soon as we get back I'm switching to the dual 6V also. Like someone just said "it's the only way to go".
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
Stublejumper

I have a 341 as well and tried to put 2 t-105 in that spot as well but would not fit,left the original battery in place and made a box to hold 4 ,6 volt t-105 Trojan wired in series/parallel. Then configured a 3 way switch so I can run all at once or separate for a total of 560 amp hours.( Or I could just throw out those kids games and stay with one batt)..lol....
Stublejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
jlb27537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stublejumper View Post
I have a 341 as well and tried to put 2 t-105 in that spot as well but would not fit,left the original battery in place and made a box to hold 4 ,6 volt t-105 Trojan wired in series/parallel. Then configured a 3 way switch so I can run all at once or separate for a total of 560 amp hours.( Or I could just throw out those kids games and stay with one batt)..lol....
That is not good. All batteries in a bank need to be the same size and type. To have a 4x6vdc series/parallel and then add a oem 12vdc is just bad practice..

Also there is no such thing as a group 24 deep cycle battery. 6vdc is the only way to go. You will be looking for a GC2. You can buy a decent battery at Sam's club for $80 or a Trojan for about $110.

Jim'
'96 Sahara, 3540, 300 CAT 540 W Solar, FOR SALE.....
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
Stublejumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
That is not good. All batteries in a bank need to be the same size and type. To have a 4x6vdc series/parallel and then add a oem 12vdc is just bad practice..

Also there is no such thing as a group 24 deep cycle battery. 6vdc is the only way to go. You will be looking for a GC2. You can buy a decent battery at Sam's club for $80 or a Trojan for about $110.

Jim'
'96 Sahara, 3540, 300 CAT 540 W Solar, FOR SALE.....
Should have more clear, I could run all at once but don't ,the 3 way selector switch is so I can run independently .
Old 03-27-2013, 03:14 AM   #10
pjhansman

Quote:
Also there is no such thing as a group 24 deep cycle battery.....
Not quite sure that's true.
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:22 AM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Also there is no such thing as a group 24 deep cycle battery.
Jim'
Somebody forgot to tell the battery manufacturers...
Old 03-27-2013, 04:14 AM   #12
KenBob

Thanks to another member's idea, we put 2 6 volts and a group 24 12 volt in the battery compartment of our fuzion without any modification to the tray. The 6 volts are for house and the 12 is for starting the generator.
wired in a battery separator so the gen will charge the 6 and 12 separately as needed. Can rewire to use the 12 in case one of the 6s fails.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #13
SteveC7010

Quote:
Also there is no such thing as a group 24 deep cycle battery.
I am pretty sure you're wrong on this. Here is a link to just a few images of Group 24 Deep Cycle Marine/RV batteries:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...tery&FORM=IGRE

And if there is no such thing as a Group 24 Deep Cycle Marine/RV battery, I wonder what the heck are those two black things in my Cougar's battery compartment.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:52 AM   #14
KenBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
I am pretty sure you're wrong on this. Here is a link to just a few images of Group 24 Deep Cycle Marine/RV batteries:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...tery&FORM=IGRE

And if there is no such thing as a Group 24 Deep Cycle Marine/RV battery, I wonder what the heck are those two black things in my Cougar's battery compartment.
I think he was trying to say there is no such thing as a "true" deep cycle group 24 battery. The RV/Marine "deep cycle" batteries are "deep cycle/starting" batteries. A 6 volt GC battery is a true deep cycle battery. Probably won't see many golf carts with RV/Marine batteries in them even though it is possible.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #15
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBob View Post
I think he was trying to say there is no such thing as a "true" deep cycle group 24 battery. The RV/Marine "deep cycle" batteries are "deep cycle/starting" batteries. A 6 volt GC battery is a true deep cycle battery. Probably won't see many golf carts with RV/Marine batteries in them even though it is possible.
Trojan makes TRUE deep cycle 12V batteries in group 24, 27, 31 and a bunch of other configurations. As do other battery mfg. Granted, many of the 12V batteries sold for RV use really are a marine or combo battery, probably for cost reasons.

the trojan 12V group 24,27,31 flooded cell deep discharge are rated for close to 500 charge/discharge cycles to 50% DOD. and about 200 charge/discharge cycles to 80% DOD. I'd say that qualifies as true deep discharge, in addition to their statement of it being deep discharge battery.

Trojan also has 12V deep discharge GEL and AGM batteries if that's what you want/need.

A trojan 6V flooded cell GC deep discharge is rated for about double the number of charge/discharge cycles that the 12V flooded cell deep discharge are, but I'd say for most campers getting 200 cycles to 50% is way more than they will use in many years unless you do a lot of dry camping.

And according to a Trojan rep these 12V batteries are often used in GC applications for those who want a GC with a little more acceleration since 12V will give higher current with less voltage drop. (two 36V banks in parallel) In fact Trojan will recomend the 12V deep discharge over 6VGC if you are usually driving a high inverter load (50-75A+).

You'll find that the CCA rating on the Trojan 12V deep discharge is substantially lower than the same size 12V marine or starting battery. Just because a battery has a CCA rating doesn't mean it isn't deep discharge. Rolls, which makes extremely high quality batteries lists a CCA rating on virtually all their flooded cell deep discharge batteries, including 6V GC (700CCA) ,6V L-16's (850CCA)and their whole line of "renewable energy" deep discharge batteries. BTW these Rolls deep discharge batteries with CCA listed have a higher cycle life rating than similar sized Trojans.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #16
Stublejumper

Thumbs up

Day 1 ,12vdc ,show up ,run 4 slides out ,awning and lading gear until that is down to 50 % ,switch to first set of 6 vdc ,shut off 12 vdc,run on that for a couple of days until 50%,switch to second set of 6 vdc ,switch off first set ,,camp,, slides in etc ,go home and plug in and recharge. Small price to pay for some R&R in the boonies while kids entertain themselves gaming inside?
Old 03-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
Mike Fender

Avalanche 2012 343RS. Have two 12V batts. Haven't had a dead battery since I doubled up.
Mike Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #18
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stublejumper View Post
Wondering if you could share a pic of your battery setup. Thanks.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #19
suza

Help, please!

We've yet to figure out how to successfully dry camping in our new Cougar 279RKS. The best we can do is a couple of days, with conservative power usage. Would like to be able to stay up past dark (use lights), have running water (use pump), and keep the fridge running (found out it will keep cold, after loss of power to fire propane, for quite a few hours!).

I've been reading the posts regarding optimization of battery power for dry camping, but all of this battery talk is confusing I Understand that two 6v CG batteries are "the way to go" but then all the different options are making my head spin. Lots of questions:

Would it be best to 1). just get another 12v and use those until they need replaced and then switch to the 6v CG set-up or 2). get two 6v CG now and keep the 12v in reserve in case one of the 6's fails?

Is it possible to set up to easily switch from 2 6v CG to 1 12v hook-up? Pictures would be appreciated.

What about weight? Would the forward battery compartment support all three?

What Trojan CG (or other make) would anyone recommend for a 279RKS? We do a lot of dry camping, usually for 2-3 days. More than that, we would haul along our generator.

Will going to the expense of replacing incandescent bulbs with LED make a noticeable difference in battery consumption?

Any other tips?
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 07-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #20
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBob View Post
Thanks to another member's idea, we put 2 6 volts and a group 24 12 volt in the battery compartment of our fuzion without any modification to the tray. The 6 volts are for house and the 12 is for starting the generator.
wired in a battery separator so the gen will charge the 6 and 12 separately as needed. Can rewire to use the 12 in case one of the 6s fails.
This sounds like a good set-up. Can you explain, in more detail?
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS