Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2013, 05:04 AM   #1
Toot's Trailer

Keystone Warranty Service Center

After a year of frustration and hassle, we are about to take our 2011 Montana High Country 323RL back to the factory in IN. Getting to this point has not been easy and has required many letters to the company, the involvement of the BBB and the attorneys general, etc. My original dealer was of no help.

The issue is that two dealers, plus a RV repair company have all said the roof is defective (dangerous soft spots). Keystone has refused warranty coverage for the dealers to repair it here in FL (one patch job was approved, but proved inadequate). They now have said it can only be repaired back in IN.

Our question is: has anyone had this problem? Additionally, did you get good service and proper warranty repairs at the Keystone Warranty Service Center? We are just hoping for the best, but bracing for further disappointment, based on how we have been treated, thus far. To Keystone's credit, they have offered some money for fuel, but it is only a fraction of what this will cost us for expenses, hotels etc. My wife and I are retirees so we have the time to deal with this. It has cost us a tidy sum so far and we don't want to spend additional money foolishly. We are truly disappointed in Keystone's customer support and warranty repairs so far. We only want what we paid for, a secure usable 5th wheel. Please let us know about your experience and any advice you may have. Thanks.
Toot's Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
airforceret

I've not had any experience with Keystone, but I did have issues with a competitor in 2011. Was not a good experience!!! My camper spent a month at the factory undergoing major reconstructive surgery.

The actual repair of the initial problem went rather well; however, in the process they literally cracked one of the interior walls behind one of the cabinets, they buckled and creased the fiberglass on the front nose along the marker lights where they folded it back to access the nose, there are several blemishes and scratches from moving stuff in/out, just to name the more major issues.

In my excitement to get the camper back, I didn't really expect or look for "new" issues!!! I was just glad they had fixed the "MAJOR" issue!!

So my advice!!! Take lots of pictures, make lots of notes, be thorough in your post inspection. Approach it kind of like the rental car industry... when you drop it off, be sure to make note of anything you know is wrong like blemishes and such. Then when you pick it up... do your inspection and annotate anything you feel happened while in their possession and bring it to their attention before you sign anything. Otherwise, it's all on you once you drive away!!!

And in my case I was exceptionally stupid in that I signed away any future warranty claims!!! Duh... Good Luck!
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

First of all, welcome again to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about your roof issues.

Now, as for it only being repairable at the factory, Camping World just repaired/replaced the entire roof on our Springdale when a tree fell on it. That included replacing all the roof trusses, insulation, A/C ducting, some electrical work, vents, A/C, roof decking and the entire EPDM membrane. So, I'm confused by Keystone saying it's only repairable at the factory ????

It may be that after a couple of dealerships have "messed with it" that the powers to be at Keystone have said they don't want to spend any more money on it trying to fix what the dealer has not been able to repair. They probably told the customer service rep to just have you bring it to the factory and they will fix it the right way and stop the issues you're having.

Let's hope that's what is happening

As for them offering to help pay for fuel, that's a definite plus !!! I'd take the factory up on it and drag it to Indiana. Heck, it's a wonderful time of year to travel in the midwest, cool, not too much rain and fuel prices are the lowest they've been all year.

Just so you know, if you elect to just do it on your own and not take Keystone's offer to repair it, the cost to replace the roof on our 26' Springdale was in excess of $9000. It surely can't cost anywhere near that much to drag it to Indiana

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
Roller4Tan

And perhaps your trailer insurance will help with the lodging part. Just a thought.
Won't hurt to check.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Bob Landry

If yo had o go to the BBB and the Attorney General just to get Keystone to agree to take it back, that is not encouraging, and you would be wise to document every step along the way and keep receipts for all of your expenses. That equates to having to threaten with legal action to get them to do the right thing and that is never a good way to have to handle a business transaction. If you have not backed up your emails and other correspondence, I would strongly encourage you to do so new. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toot's trailer