Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2013, 04:47 AM   #1
billb800si

Skirting on 2014- Cougar 321RES Fails

One more area of concern. While replacing the hot water tank drain plug with a shut off valve to drain the tank I noticed the skirting was coming loose.
This skirting goes all the way from the from exterior storage door (drivers side) back to the outside shower door. Further I checked the more I found. There was not one screw holding the skirting to the wall of the trailer. A long piece of molding was what was covering the skirt and barely holding the top lip in place. Granted there was a few brackets underneath holding the skirt but nothing on the top side. It was just flapping back & forth when I pressed it in.
So I lifted the rubber molding cover and removed all the screws (very many) from the long strip and then screwed the skirt back to the trailer ( using flat head screws because you have to screw it under the molding strip). Then I reattached the molding strip with the many screws and wah-lah, now it's secure.
Had I not done this the wind probably would have ripped the whole skirt off the side of the trailer while driving down the road.
I'm really wondering about this philosophy that "Amish" are such careful craftsmen when it comes to fabricating trailer trailers.
Next Friday I'll be back to the dealer for a new toilet as it presently won't hold water in the bowl. Guess the seal isn't working properly.
The quest goes on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
Yosemitebob

Yes, my skirt was loose as well, it seemed in my case the bracket to hold it rigid was doing nothing. Had them re-bend a new bracket, other than that it's in great shape and I'm pretty hard to please when things should be right. As far as your toilet, it is not really built to hold water in the bowl for long periods, but saying that, if you use your safety gloves and put some Vaseline around the opening that moves, it will hold for quite a while, and of course you must always make sure it is clean, a dirty job I know, but has to be done.
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
billb800si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
.... As far as your toilet, it is not really built to hold water in the bowl for long periods, but saying that, if you use your safety gloves and put some Vaseline around the opening that moves, it will hold for quite a while, and of course you must always make sure it is clean, a dirty job I know, but has to be done.
--------------------------------------

Maybe with Keystone products it won't hold water but our last 2007 Jayco Eagle toilet held water for months.
Yes, I put on some throw away rubber gloves and did the Vaseline trick. It held water nicely. Have to wait another week from general RV as they still don't have the new toilet in yet. ( 3 weeks and waiting).

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
Old 10-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
airforceret

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
--------------------------------------

Maybe with Keystone products it won't hold water but our last 2007 Jayco Eagle toilet held water for months.
Yes, I put on some throw away rubber gloves and did the Vaseline trick. It held water nicely. Have to wait another week from general RV as they still don't have the new toilet in yet. ( 3 weeks and waiting).
My Starcraft trailer would hold water for months too and I never once used vaseline on it. Just kept it clean!
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

On previous RV's we had Thetford toilets. They all held water during storage. Our first Dometic toilet was the Springdale and now the Cougar. The Springdale held water (actually antifreeze) through winter storage with no loss from leakage. This Cougar is too new to know for sure, but in the 2 months we've owned it, it's never had a "dry bowl" unless we flushed without the water pump turned on.

All RV flush toilets are designed to have a small amount of water above the flush valve. It acts as a "gas seal" to help keep odors where they belong. Some self contained regenerating toilets don't use the water seal, but I don't know of any of that type used in Keystone products.

Some (who me??????) would suggest a little olive oil dribbled onto the o-ring when the bowl is dry. It works as well as vaseline and keeps the rubber o-ring soft and supple. Don't forget you've also got a rubber o-ring on the dump valve at the other end of the black tank system that needs to be "conditioned" as well. Olive oil will work its way down there where Vaseline won't.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
billb800si

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
..........All RV flush toilets are designed to have a small amount of water above the flush valve. It acts as a "gas seal" to help keep odors where they belong. ..... Don't forget you've also got a rubber o-ring on the dump valve at the other end of the black tank system that needs to be "conditioned" as well. Olive oil will work its way down there where Vaseline won't.
======================
Yes, you're right....
Today (2PM) I'm scheduled to have the toilet replaced (under warranty). My trailer is now winterized so I'll just pump some anti-freeze into the bowl for storage. I have noticed in the past that anti-freeze also has a lubricating quality to it. It leaves a slight film on things.
FWIW I did rub Vaseline around the bottom rubber seal just before our last trip and it worked great the whole trip. Almost hate to replace it now that it's working ...
Happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES