Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
mrb188

Angry 2008 Cougar 314BHS Rotting!

We purchased a new Keystone Cougar 5th wheel in 2008. The first camping trip this year our furnace wouldn't work. After returning home I investigated and found the floor rotted completely through underneath the furnace! It had obviously been leaking since day one and you would never look there or see it! I called and they simply said sorry about your luck we only cover items for 1 year! I would understand if I had done something wrong or neglected but this is clearly installation error as it leaked around the intake and exhaust. BTY the furnace has NEVER been serviced. I know I would never purchase another Keystone product if this is how they treat their customers or back their products! Does anyone have any suggestions or had a similar issue? I'm not quite sure how to go about trying to fix this now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1990.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	3860   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1993.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	3861   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1997.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	3862  
mrb188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If your furnace is located under the fridge, the problem is not a "leaking" furnace at all. The leaking could be caused by a faulty or disconnected fridge drain tube/hose which is located behind your fridge and leads to the outside of the RV.

If you look at the exterior removable fridge access panel, there should be a white plastic drain tube - about 5/8" diameter- protruding from the louvered panel. This hose allows the condensation/water that collects on the cooling section of the fridge to be routed to the outside and not drip onto the interior floor beneath which seems to have happened in your case.

This tube may have come loose or was not directed to the outside resulting in water dropping onto the floor.

I can't see any reason why the furnace would be leaking water --- the fridge above it, yes.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

have to agree with Festus my furnace is not water cooled! and why have you not serviced your furnace in 5 years? I fail to see how Keystone is responsable for lack of service. Yes I am being a little rough, but most of us here Do a pre trip check and a thorugh inspection at least once a year. with that kind of investment why would you not?.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
mrb188

Festus 2 you are correct in that the furnace is located under the fridge. My problem is that the intake and exhaust tubes from the furnace that go through the wall are what leaked. It seems as though water slowly migrated in around the caulk on the exterior shield. As for my routine checks both before and after trips and seasonal opening and closing I faithfully check the drain tube for the fridge, all exhaust ports to be sure there are no blockages and clean those areas (exterior fridge, water heater, check ports on furnace). SAAB Doctor, I did fail to remove the interior cover to the furnace compartment and completely remove to perform yearly service. Guess I am not as thorough as you are. I also don't completely remove my truck engine to change the oil each time as well. Sorry not trying to be "a little rough" but couldn't resist, ha ha. Thanks for the input though. I definitely have a few new items on the check sheet.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:37 AM   #5
Bob Landry

It's up to owners to do a periodic inspection of the entire trailer. One thing I betting hardly ever gets checked is the caulking around the windows and doors, and from what I read on this and other forums, the most frequent cause of damage is water and guess how it gets in.
This is probably the easiest thing to check it requires you to get on a ladder, but unless you have a physical impairment, that isn't a big deal.
Inspect around the moldings and flanges around windows, doors, and hatches. Press in on the wall next to the flange and if you see a gap open up between the flange and the wall, then it needs to be resealed. Having done a couple of these, I can tell you that Keystone cut corners every chance they got and this is no exception. They used a minimal amount of caulking and in a couple of places it looked like there wasn't any at all. Taking an hour or so to look at this might well save you a serious chunk of change.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #6
therink

I too also conquer that one can not take the need for regular visual inspection of all areas of rv's lightly. This means behind access panels, or anywhere there are plumbing fittings, drain lines including refrigerator condensate drain. The other area of common problem is degradation of caulk on exterior and roof seams. Rv's, unlike house's take a beating and things move, flex, and wear much more often than not. I can't fault the rv manufacturer for these things.
I'm sorry to hear about the rotted floor. My guess is that your refrigerator drain line may have become plugged or was never directed to drain out to the outside via the exterior side wall fridge vent panel. The drain line has to be reinserted through the vent panel every time the panel is removed.

Edit, I just looked at the photos and water may have leaked from outside through the furnace vent tube assembly. I would start by removing the assembly and inspect things a little closer. If it were me, I would probably just eliminate the leak source treat mold with bleach, let area dry out with heat lamp and then put all back together.
Replacing the sub floor is not easy inside a compartment.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Steve --

According to the OP, he's checked the fridge drain hose and it's ok and as you suggested, the leakage seems to have been caused by insufficient/poor caulking around the exterior furnace shield/flange.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
SAABDOCTOR

WHAT you don't take the engine appart at every oil change boy your lazy but yes when i do my yearly inspection. I really do look at everything! being a former aircraft owner/ mechanic it kinda get beat into you. Good news is no one got hurt just your wallet.One thing about owning a camper or an airplane or a truck boat. you are all ways learning something new. just hope it is not an expensive lesson! I wish you all the best on getting it fixed and one thing we know you will never over look calking again! I know i won't ever again. Take care
Old 08-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

Best thing about this forum is that we all learn new things it is a great place!!!!
Old 08-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
Roller4Tan

Let the area dry out real good. Paint on some wood restorer http://www.homedepot.com/p/PC-Produc...3#.UgU7I9Im1v8
recaulk your vents, reinstall your furnace and go out and enjoy camping.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
mrb188

Thanks everyone for the great tips, and yes a lesson definitely learned! Roller4Tan, I've never used that product but looks as though that may do the trick! I will give it a try!
Old 08-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #12
billstuart

You may be able to restore your subfloor by using a 2 part epoxy product called Git-Rot. I got great results using it to restore the plywood core under the cockpit deck of one of my boats. You can find it at marine supply stores, like West Marine.
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Previous RV's:
1992 Prowler 35' Bunkhouse
1986 Fireball 30'
1978 Nomad 24'
1963 Kenskill 19.5'
1972 Dyna Cruiser Camper on '72 F-250
A Tent
billstuart is offline   Reply With Quote