Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Countrycorey

satellite and cable question

I am currently using satellite in my 2012 Alpine 3500RE and I was wondering if there is a way I can use satellite on the main TV in the living area and have cable for the TV in the bedroom as I only have one Satellite receiver and do cannot get the local channels on it?

Thanks in advance
Countrycorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
MarkS

If you have separate cable and satellite connectors on the outside of your trailer, it should be very easy. Just connect the main tv though the satellite receiver. Connect the bedroom tv to the cable wall outlet.

If you only have one outside connector, it may be easier to run the satellite cable through a window.

Seems simple to me, so I am probably missing something with your situation. A little more detail would help. How many outside connections. Somewhere in your trailer, there is a wall cable outlet with a short loop of cable. Where is that? There is also a Winegard plate with the switch to turn on the antenna. Where is that?

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
therink

If your set up is the same as my current and last Keystone fiver, try removing the rv antenna booster/amp wall plate. Behind the plate should be a spaghetti of coaxial wires, and a couple of splitters leading to all coax receptacles (outlets and also the "cable-in" feed from the outside connection. Once you identify where each cable goes, you can modify the connections as you need using males male barrel connectors.
I have modified my wiring to accommodate two coax wires from my dish to two different receivers (living room & bedroom) by using the "satellite prep" & "cable in" connections on the outside.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
Countrycorey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
If you have separate cable and satellite connectors on the outside of your trailer, it should be very easy. Just connect the main tv though the satellite receiver. Connect the bedroom tv to the cable wall outlet.

If you only have one outside connector, it may be easier to run the satellite cable through a window.

Seems simple to me, so I am probably missing something with your situation. A little more detail would help. How many outside connections. Somewhere in your trailer, there is a wall cable outlet with a short loop of cable. Where is that? There is also a Winegard plate with the switch to turn on the antenna. Where is that?
I have 2 coax connections outside, first labeled satellite prep and the second has no label. I know where the winegard plate is, it's just kind of a pain to get to as its above the bedroom TV. do you know where I can find a wiring diagram as seeing what I'm working with will help me figure it out easier
Countrycorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
therink

There is no wiring diagram that I am aware of (at least not from Keystone). All coax runs usually join, merge or end behind the antenna amp, at least on my last few units.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
MarkS

That sounds the same as my trailer. The second unlabeled connector should be the cable connection. If you connect cable there, you should be able to watch cable in the bedroom. Make sure the Winegard switch is turned off. There is probably a second, unlabeled connector at the main TV. You can connect the main TV to cable there.

I have a drawing, that I made of my trailer cable system. I think it is on my work computer. I'll try to post it tomorrow.

Keystone does not label any of the cables or provide a diagram.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
18K Pullright Hitch
Old 07-09-2013, 04:24 AM   #7
MarkS

Here is the diagram I made of my trailer's tv cables. My trailer is a 2014 Cougar 318SAB 5th Wheel. Any resemblance to your trailer is purely coincidental.

On my trailer the docking station, aka convenience center, is located in the basement, drivers side. It has two cable connectors. One came from the factory marked Satellite Prep. The other was unmarked. There is also a tv cable connector on the passenger side of the basement.

The splitter shown on my diagram is located in the ceiling behind the Winegard plate.

The entertainment center is in the living room behind the main TV. There is a plate with two cable connectors, unlabeled. The top connector goes to the Winegard plate in the bedroom and supplies antenna and Cable. I have this connector connected to the 'TV In' on my TV. The bottom goes directly to the satellite prep connector in the basement. I have this connector connected to the Satellite receiver. The receiver connects to the TV with a HDMI cable. I can switch between the two with the input button on the TV remote.

I don't have a TV in the bedroom, but I could connect it to Cable at the Winegard plate. Satellite would be tougher.

Hope this helps. When you figure out what the cable connectors are, it is a good idea to add your own labels. It will save you some 'banging your head against the wall moments' in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrailerCable.jpg
Views:	2700
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	3601  

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
18K Pullright Hitch