Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #1
crash

Pin box

Anyone ever switch there standard pinbox for a air ride pinbox?And if so how hard was it?And can you tell a differance in the pull?
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:14 AM   #2
X-Treme

I swapped my Trail Air Rota-Flex for a Trail Air Tri-Glide. Was really easy for me, but I own my own automotive repair shop, so have access to air compressors, impact guns, etc. it made a WORLD of difference in both the up/down movement, as well as the fore/aft chucking. I would never own a trailer of this size and weight without one now.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
Jim W

My son and I swapped out my standard pin box in July 2010 for a Trail Air pin box. The installation takes at least two people to perform if you do not use the pick-up truck bed; I did not since the driveway slopes where the truck sits when hooked up to the camper. I did change the washers and bolts to a grade 8 plated bolts instead of the grade 5 painted bolts from the old pin box.

In my opinion this improved the ride 100% over the standard pin box that comes on the trailer. You can still feel the trailer back there but not to the extreme we felt before and there is less stress on the trailer and TV with the different pin box that I installed.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
sandy43

I traded my original for a 5th Airborne that I had on 2 previous RV's. To me, it makes a lot of difference. Their are several types and I suppose their all about the same. I just like the 5th Airborne. It was rather easy to change, but I have a front end loader, which helps a lot. By yourself, it could be difficult, those things are not light.

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
jrp

I've installed TrailAir pin boxes on both my large Teton 5'er and my smaller Raptor. The installation is pretty simple, other than a means to lift it up into position, its just a matter of nuts & bolts. Its a major improvement in the ride quality, in my opinion.
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
PerryB

I installed a Mor-Ryde, but the mechanics of the installation were the same. I did it myself using the truck bed method and carefully blocking it up to the proper height to get the bolts started. Two people would be WAY easier. I did like Jim and used all grade 8 hardware (I actually used fine thread nuts/bolts, for what its worth). My only gripe was the new pinbox was not a snug fit between the frame wings, like the original was. It had about 1/8" slop and I was concerned with the way this would be trying to peel the wings away from the frame, so I made shim plates out of 16 ga. stainless to go in both sides and restore the snug fit. Of course when I called the manufacturers tech support to suggest they check their build tolerances they said "Oh, It'll be fine-don't worry". When I pointed out that their own spec. sheet says 12-1/2" and the product is only 12-3/8" he became annoyed with me and didn't want to talk about it anymore. OKAY, rant over. Get a moderately skilled assistant and the installation is easy. *** Have any of you guys installed a Goose Box from Reese. Thats what I've got my eye on now.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
old racer

Bought a used Trail Air from a local RV dealer for $500.00. Best money ever spent. Would not own another 5er without one. Installation was quite simple, took about an hour.
old racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
MichiganMarty

[QUOTE=PerryB;60322 *** Have any of you guys installed a Goose Box from Reese. Thats what I've got my eye on now.[/QUOTE]

Better be careful with goosenecks, some camper manufacturers do not warranty the frame if you use them. I own a Keystone and do not know if they are one of them.

Just sayin' !
2006 Raptor 3712TS on top of a Hensley BD3 Trailer Saver
MichiganMarty is offline   Reply With Quote