Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
kfcflores

Reese dual cam install advice

Hey guys, newbie here and have a few questions on the reese dual cam install.
First off, here are my specs.
TV 2007 Chevy Tahoe Ltz
TT 2006 Outback 27RSDS
Trailer at scales weighed to go was 6000lbs.

I bought the trailer used and it came with a eaz lift wd system. 1000lb round click in bars. I towed it home from dealer fine, but knew I wanted to add some sway control so added a single friction bar style system.

Other twist to my situation is that I went in on the trailer with my brother. His TV is Chevy avalanche, but his receiver is lower than mine so the hitch head wouldnt work on his truck. Searched craigsist and found a draw tite head with 750lb round click in bars.

Went on maiden trip last week and I towed set up to campsite. No problems, felt pretty straight and sturdy behind. Granted it was mostly flat on a not too windy california day. My brother towed rig back and also said it felt good.

Well when my brother dropped off the trailer at storage, he noticed the sway bar install plate on trailer was partially ripped out of frame. See picture. He said he remembers hearing a big "BANG" when he got off freeway. So needless to say that is out.

I wanted to install the reese dual cam system anyway after reading good reviews on it and that I probably needed more for a close to 30 foot trailer being towed by a short wheelbase suv. So I bought a reese dual cam 26002 system. The new silver one (off ebay, good price). I know there are a lot of threads on installs out there, but any pointers to do it right would be appreciated.

I will probably be doing install next week, I also have barker electric power jack on the way.

Couple key questions I have are about threading the bolts in first. So after I drill the holes, should i drill in the bolts to get them started. I did this with the friction bar and it seemed like it almost stripped them. How much torque do I actually need. Do I need a special torque wrench. Also any tips on distances, i see 18, 18.5, 19? What is it. Also we will be using the 750 lbs bar my brother got because those ones have the cam bend, the 1000 lbs bars are straight. Will those be ok? Also, are the cams going to have to be adjusted everytime depending on what tow vehicle we are using. I know lots of questions, but I want to do this right. Thanks again.
kfcflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
fla-gypsy

You will need to follow the installation instructions carefully on the distance. When I did mine I measured several times and marked the frame to be certain I got it right. You do have a small amount of leeway but not much on the spacing as it will take away adjustability from the cam arms which is crucial to dialing it in properly. As for the hole drilling, the instructions will provide the bit size, I recommend you buy a new high quality bit for this and you will need a big drill or you will be at it a while. It is crucial the right size hole is made because the bolts are self tapping and will lead to problems when not done correctly. A torque wrench is essential to proper installation and the torque spec will be supplied in the instructions. I have included a link to another forum with an excellent tutorial on this system. Once installed and adjusted correctly you will love this system. It is very good.

http://forums.trailerlife.com/Index....d/17730894.cfm
Old 01-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
kfcflores

Thanks for advice. Do you think 750 lb bars will be okay with my setup?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
fla-gypsy

Yes I believe you are sized properly for that trailer
Old 01-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
audio1der

Wow- thanks for that link! I'm headed to the inlaws where we store the TT to install the DC in a bout a month. I'm trying to gather all the documentation I'll need to do this, and those corrections are pretty important.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
kfcflores

Through all my research I've discovered the Andersen hitch. I might just go this route. What do u guys think? Or should I stick with Reese dc. I'm just thinking about how much adjustment I'm going to have to make every time I switch tv with Reese dc. So many decisions
Old 01-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
fla-gypsy

The Andersen is a newcomer and I like the design but some folks have reported having a hard time getting enough weight distribution from it. There is not enough info out here yet to understand why that is for me. Be sure you research that aspect if you decide to go that route.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
kfcflores

*****UPDATE*****
Ok everyboby. Did a few installs today. First one was a barker power tounge jack. Super easy install and awesome modification.

Then I was on to the Reese dual cam install. That was a little tricky finding the exact way and place to mount due to vin plate and trailer configuriation, but got both sides at the 18inch suggested spot. Drilled the holes (tough), and torqued down nuts and bolts.

So here is my dilema.

I was using 1000lb round bars before and had the chains set at 5 links under tension which distributed the weight well.
The bars I have now are 750lbs. Am using those ones, because they have the curve I need for indents to sit in, the 1000lb ones are flat. So Reese suggests at least 5 chains under tension, but that doesn't transfer enough weight. And I don't see how it would considering the hangar brackets are equal to about 2-3 links. So can I go to 3 or 4 links under pressure? Do I need to get heavier bars? Any help would be nice.

And of course the measurements are different between my brothers truck and mine so we will have to adjust the cams every time, but I'm not that concerned about that. I won't be towing every weekend.