Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
CUFFS054

Newbie Fubar

My 2010 Springdale 291 was already set up on a semi perm site when I bought it. Having played with all it's toys I noticed this weekend that it had two perm bubble levels. Front to back was slightly off, played with front power jack, all is well. Then there was the port/starboard level. Mind you, there was no problem with the trailer, but it wasn't 'perfect'. So I started screwing with something that was working JUST fine.
I reasoned that if I retracted the electric stabilizers and put a riser under the 'low' side and then dropped the stabilizers all would be well. The front seemed to be OK but when I retracted the butt end and did the same, the stabilizer made it clear that it was not happy when I extended it. (much larger left/right elevation) The bubble level was actually worse. So can I assume that the electric stabilizers are not articulated (may be the wrong word). Basically the two feet must be level?
AND the low side tires are about 6 pounds underinflated based on the high side. Should I match the psi? (should I take more medication and/or get a life?!)
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

CUFS054 -
Perhaps I am not fully understanding your post but it seems to me that you are attempting to level your TT from left -> right using the stabilizers. It is recommended that you first level your TT from side-to-side using boards or some other means under your tires then stabilize it with your stabilizers. They are not meant to lift the TT but to reduce movement.

I think most people put blocks of varying heights under their stabilizers and the more support and broader base you have in the form of blocks, the less you have to extend the stabilizers.

It seems like you are using the front jack to raise or lower the unit from front to back which is the usual practice.

Under inflated tires? Bad. Top all of them up to the recommended pressure.

More meds? Get a life? We don't dispense medications here or offer psychiatric advice. Against forum policy.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:19 AM   #3
CUFFS054

Fetus,
thanks for the reply. The problem is that the trailer is pretty much "set" permanently and I don't have a tow vehicle to move it. Could/should I use a jack under the low axle, raise wheels, shim and then put wheels down?
Old 10-29-2012, 04:35 AM   #4
Javi

Get a 3 foot level and check (don't trust stuck on levels..) Air pressure should be the same on all tires..
Old 10-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
mhs4771

Those stick on levels can move, and if the person who installed them didn't have the unit level when put on you may be tring to relevel something that was already level. As suggested, get a bigger level and check numerous places inside. The Fridge is the main thing, it needs to be relativly level for extended operation, tho the newer aren't as fussy as the older units. Do you plan to keep the unit on the present site? If so you might wish to block it up as I'm sure there are others in the park that never move. Good luck
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

If your TT will be sitting there on a more or less permanent basis, you might want to consider jacking it up and placing concrete blocks under the frame. I would place 4 blocks on each side - one at each end, one in front of and another behind the wheels. It isn't necessary to jack it up so that the wheels are off the ground but enough so that some of the weight is off the axles and wheels.
It also depends how far off level the unit is. If it is only off a bit and you can live with that, there may not be any need to try to get it perfectly level. Are you full-timing in it or is it just sitting on a permanent site and you use it as a vacation home?
But yes, you can jack it up and place boards underneath the wheels if it is out of level.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #7
CUFFS054

Festus,
It's just a weekend place. I would love to live in it full time and as retirement gets closer I'm giving it some thought.