Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2022, 06:53 PM   #1
Frgman

Motion light

The motion light near the stairs keeps going on and off. Will stay on for 2 min and then shut off for 10 secs. Does this all night. I have a 2020 HM372RD.
Frgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 10:11 PM   #2
LHaven

You could cover the sensor with a piece of electrical tape to determine whether it has gone super-sensitive or just plain flat broken. Though either way the remedy is the same: replace the fixture. It's not a hard job, and the units are readily available on the web (link).

(Wow, when I bought this in 2019, it was only $11; now it's almost doubled.)
Old 02-23-2022, 07:32 AM   #3
dutchmensport

If you have the motion sensor light on your steps and it looks like the image below, there is nothing you can do to "fix" it. It's failing. All you can do is remove it and replace it with a new one. They are sealed and once they start having problems, all you can do is replace them.

Mine did something similar to what you are describing. It would come on by itself and it drove us batty. I also hated the thing because it was located right at the steps, facing the front door of the camper. When ever the door was opened from the outside, that light was right at eye level blinding us. I hated that. Couldn't see anything but a blaring light. Why didn't they put the light on the opposite side so when you open the outside door from the outside the light is actually shining on the steps and through the rest of the lower level of the fifth wheel. Nope.

At first, I tried covering the entire thing with black tape. But even with that, light still shone around it. So, I finally pulled it and cut the wires, reinserted it so keep the hole in the wall covered where the wires come through and now it's simply dark all the time. Personally, I hate the thing.

To pull it from the wall you have to remove the black cover. It connected with two plastic tips and more than likely when you remove it, you'll end up breaking one. Then the black cover can be removed easily. Then there are 4 screws holding it in place. It's just that simple.

If you want to add an on-off switch, simply cut one of the wires, go to an automotive store so you are getting a switch for 12 volt DC and not 120 volt AC, and get a simple on-off toggle switch. Drill a hole in the paneling beside the light, fish the wire through and connect it to the on-off switch. Then you can activate the light when you want or leave it dark. It's very simple to do.

If you need replacements, here's an Amazon link. You can also pick these up at any RV dealership parts store, but you may end up paying a bit more. It just depends on your own convenience and time and how fast you want a replacement if you go that way. click here. Or.... pick up a motion sensor light of your choice. It's only 2 wires to hook up.
Old 02-23-2022, 09:04 AM   #4
sierraman68

The motion sensor light on my 25RES did the same thing. Like one of the previous posts, I just cut and capped off one of the wires. I really don't miss having the light.
Old 02-23-2022, 11:31 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
... Why didn't they put the light on the opposite side so when you open the outside door from the outside the light is actually shining on the steps and through the rest of the lower level of the fifth wheel. Nope. ....
Definitely not to "defend Keystone", but it's my understanding that the reason why they didn't install the light on the outside wall (like you described) is because of the "sensing angle" of the light. It senses a 110 degree arc, so if it was mounted on the outside wall, it wouldn't come on until after you're inside the trailer and there's movement inside that 110 degree arc.

Apparently Keystone made the decision to "live with the glare but have a light that is positioned to detect when the entry door is opened AND when there's movement at the steps going to the upper level"....

That doesn't make it "popular with someone who gets blinded when opening the trailer door or when the sensor fails and the light detects movement that's not really happening.... That is, unless it's not "false triggering" but there's a mouse or two that scurry around at night and you "think the light's failing" when really, it's working perfectly ...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:32 PM   #6
madweazl

Ours does the same thing and drove us nuts the first trip out. Think I'm just going to disable it.
Old 05-05-2022, 03:37 PM   #7
LHaven

Can you just replace it with a different model? The oval motion lights in my main entrance and my cargo area have a three-way switch: off, on, and motion. We turn the entrance light to off at night so it doesn't get triggered by the dog or by bathroom trips, and we turn it on in the morning for when we come home later in the dark and so on. Amazon sells these exact lights. I didn't expect to appreciate mine as much as I do now.
Old 05-05-2022, 03:56 PM   #8
madweazl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Can you just replace it with a different model? The oval motion lights in my main entrance and my cargo area have a three-way switch: off, on, and motion. We turn the entrance light to off at night so it doesn't get triggered by the dog or by bathroom trips, and we turn it on in the morning for when we come home later in the dark and so on. Amazon sells these exact lights. I didn't expect to appreciate mine as much as I do now.
The one at the steps to the bedroom on our trailer is a small night light style jobby that apparently detects ghosts, farts, and micro-organisms...
Old 05-05-2022, 04:04 PM   #9
LHaven

Sure... but if you replace the unit, you replace the sensor as well. The oval ones are pretty reasonable as to what they detect.

Tags
light