Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2022, 05:14 AM   #21
Scttw

Dicor picture attachment - this was a snip from my Amazon order in Canada.

There are TONS of threads on the proper use of this if you search for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DICOR.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	38556  
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:17 AM   #22
Texas Steve

Remember that there are 2 types of Dicor - Self-leveling for horizontal surfaces (roof) and non-sag type for vertical surfaces. Get a couple of tubes of each.
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:55 AM   #23
PNW Camper

So white self leveling dicor for the flat roof areas and maybe black non leveling dicor for the ends of the gutter i am assuming?

What is used along the edge of the roof on the side of it where it meets the gutter edge? Would that be a small bead of white non leveling dicor possibly?
PNW Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:03 AM   #24
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Camper View Post
So white self leveling dicor for the flat roof areas and maybe black non leveling dicor for the ends of the gutter i am assuming?

What is used along the edge of the roof on the side of it where it meets the gutter edge? Would that be a small bead of white non leveling dicor possibly?
Dicor is actually a brand name, much like Crescent is for adjustable wrenches. I don't believe I've ever seen Dicor come in any color other than white. Once upon a time the only sealants used on campers was Dicor and butyl rubber, then several years ago RTV, which was vigorously cautioned against, started to appear from the factory. RTV itself comes in a variety of materials as well. I'd venture to guess that the clear and black stuff you are seeing is RTV - possibly silicon based (clear) and vinyl based (black) or something similar.
You can safely peal away any material that is not properly adhering and then cover it over with the Dicor - either self leveling or non-sag depending on the location.
There are some folks that prefer to remove all the old sealant and go over the seams with Eternabond tape. You'd still want to use Dicor in locations that could not be easily or neatly taped, though.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:47 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Dicor is actually a brand name, much like Crescent is for adjustable wrenches. I don't believe I've ever seen Dicor come in any color other than white. Once upon a time the only sealants used on campers was Dicor and butyl rubber, then several years ago RTV, which was vigorously cautioned against, started to appear from the factory. RTV itself comes in a variety of materials as well. I'd venture to guess that the clear and black stuff you are seeing is RTV - possibly silicon based (clear) and vinyl based (black) or something similar.
You can safely peal away any material that is not properly adhering and then cover it over with the Dicor - either self leveling or non-sag depending on the location.
There are some folks that prefer to remove all the old sealant and go over the seams with Eternabond tape. You'd still want to use Dicor in locations that could not be easily or neatly taped, though.

I've used different colors;

https://dicorproducts.com/product/se...-lap-sealants/
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 11:20 AM   #26
wrvond

Well there you go.
I doubt, however, the factory is bothering to use different color Dicor. They could, but it doesn't seem to be very efficient to me.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 11:34 AM   #27
PNW Camper

Just wanted to take the time to thank each of you for all your input and sorry for so many questions. I am pretty sure i will have many many more to come along this ownership trip i am sure.

The post about the adventure being the maintenance experience roller coaster rather than the places you take the tt seems to be spot on. My only hope is that my unit hasnt suffered any horrible damage that is unable to be fixed or too cost prohibitive.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:36 AM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

My last trailer had grey and this one has dove. They both matched the roof/sides pretty well. Don't know what criteria they use to select a color. Although the dicor on the last 2 trailers matched well I suspect they just use what they have at the moment.
Old 03-05-2022, 10:56 AM   #29
PNW Camper

I have not been able to find the no sag, non leveling dicor product in black for around the ends of the gutter thatvare currently cracked. I found dicor551lsb which is non leveling but it is not the no sag product… my question is can i use that around the edge of the gutter since its not a true vertical area or not? Or if someone has seen the black non sag nonleveling product online that i can purchase?
Old 03-05-2022, 11:08 AM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I have not been able to find the no sag, non leveling dicor product in black for around the ends of the gutter thatvare currently cracked. I found dicor551lsb which is non leveling but it is not the no sag product… my question is can i use that around the edge of the gutter since its not a true vertical area or not? Or if someone has seen the black non sag nonleveling product online that i can purchase?

This should be what you want. You might also be able to use ProFlex depending on where this is/what it's on;

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Dicor...-p/13-3077.htm
Old 03-05-2022, 11:24 AM   #31
PNW Camper

Thanks i am ordering that for the gutter area the leveling stuff for the roof and the no sag non leveling stuff for all the other side wall joints!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4D714D5B-454F-4EF2-A055-3C6339CF0A94.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	38588   Click image for larger version

Name:	367E518D-F7A7-4A78-9C41-C217BEACCDF3.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	38589   Click image for larger version

Name:	BE036BFF-E9D0-4A27-A854-CAC43D0D313A.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	38590  
Old 03-05-2022, 11:43 AM   #32
PNW Camper

Do the corner screws at the edge hold this whole corner together it looks like its pulling apart and with a good amount of force it can be brought together again but how can you make it hold together so there wont be a gap there?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	109B1DF7-105A-44EF-80FD-57A0B858783C.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	38591   Click image for larger version

Name:	A5E3C908-BF82-4885-A911-12C0E9A9BD80.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	38592  
Old 03-05-2022, 12:53 PM   #33
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I always hate to see these types of issues.. Roof maintenance begins the day you buy it... They dealership should have told you this.. If you don't get on the rooftop at least several times a year you sadly will have water leaks and the damage along with it...

a tube of self leveling sealant is your friend when it comes to an RV. roof
And scare away potential sales?

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 01:28 PM   #34
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Do the corner screws at the edge hold this whole corner together it looks like its pulling apart and with a good amount of force it can be brought together again but how can you make it hold together so there wont be a gap there?
What has come apart in those pics? I can't really tell other than it looks like the J panel on the bottom has pulled out from under the vertical end trim piece? I am assuming it was originally under there, mine always have been.
Old 03-05-2022, 01:36 PM   #35
PNW Camper

That is the rear corner on the drivers side i guess it would be, the corner pulling back and exposing the bottom corner of the side piece. If you push on the back of the camper on that bottom corner the black trim piece will cover the side piece again but as soon as you take pressure off it that gap is there again
Old 03-05-2022, 01:39 PM   #36
PNW Camper

You can see the outline for the old sealant line at the bottom and see how much its out…the pic is sideways too ..sorry i know that doesnt help
Old 03-05-2022, 01:42 PM   #37
sourdough
Site Team

That vinyl strip will pull right out of that vertical trim channel. It may be attached with a screw or bracket at the bottom but I don't see one in that pic. There should be screws underneath that attach that trim piece. See if they haven't backed out or wallowed out letting that trim pull out. I have to pull my trim back quite often and retighten the screws. You can run the tip of your finger right down the center of that vinyl trim and feel the screw heads sticking up.
Old 03-05-2022, 02:42 PM   #38
PNW Camper

I was just looking at the screws behind that trim piece and i think the bottom one probably is no longer holding anything. I think i read in here somewhere you remove the screw jam some toothpicks in the hole along with some some glue let dry and then re thread the screw into the hole again and it will hold again
Old 03-05-2022, 04:00 PM   #39
sourdough
Site Team

If the hole is stripped you can use toothpicks, which I have, and I also use bamboo skewers (small ones). That bamboo is tough stuff. You could also use a larger screw but that may or may not work and then the hole just gets bigger.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:05 PM   #40
JRTJH
Site Team

Looking at the photos, it sure looks to me like the FILON sidewall has either separated from the luan backing or the luan backing has rotted away, leaving the FILON "flapping in the breeze". The sidewall is a 4 layer vacuum bonded structure. Starting on the outside, it's FILON, luan, foam, luan. The last (inner) luan is the interior wall.

What I believe has happened is the FILON/luan was exposed to water, the luan decomposed and the structure delaminated.

At this point, about the best I think you can do would be to remove the aluminum molding, clean things up, try to remove all the damaged/rotted luan, then use a "foam safe filler" to reconstruct the sidewall and then reattach the molding with new butyl putty tape under it.

Since water "runs downhill" I'd suspect that the origin of the water damage was the corner of the roof, down the inside of the corner molding and then into the sidewall structure where the luan was the "weakest link"...

I'd remove the entire corner molding, clean it up, repair/seal any damaged area on the sidewall and the rear wall, then use that "foam safe filler" to reconstruct the damaged areas, clean up the molding, reattach it and then "SEAL THE HECK" out of the entire structure. Put DICOR sealant on every screw that you reinstall on the molding and use new "screw cover vinyl trim" to cover the screws....

Oh, and when you're removing the aluminum molding, pay close attention to any rust or corrosion on the screws that you remove. If you see rust, you'll KNOW FOR SURE that there has been water in that area, directly behind the specific screw.

This is not a particularly difficult repair, but it is a VERY TIME CONSUMING repair. Plan on it taking a week or more as you CAREFULLY remove the damaged/rotted materials.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote