Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner > In Command Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2022, 09:38 AM   #1
haiduan

InCommand HVAC

My problem: HVAC on cool will not react exactly to the location temperature on either front or back AC's. AC's will often cut off before the set temperature is reached. Often have to set the temperature well below actual to get AC's to turn on. In other words, InCommand doesn't react to changes in actual temperature.

Contacted ASA Electronics who stated: Unfortunately, the In Command does not read the zone temperature that information is provided to the In Command system from eh Gateway which is a Coleman or Domestic product. Please see the Gateway information attached. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns. We would suggest contacting the manufacturer of your coach or scheduling an appointment with a dealer to help diagnose those Gateways.

Has anyone experienced this problem? How did you fix it?

Thanks,
haiduan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 02:57 PM   #2
M&M2

I insulated behind both sensors and that helped AC reacting to room temperature versus the temperature of the area behind the wall. How you do that can be a challenge depending on if the area behind is accessible.
Old 03-03-2022, 03:08 PM   #3
ChuckS

Remove the covers off the r wire temp sensors and see if the sensor is stuck way back inside the wall

If so then relocate the sensor outside the wall as shown in second image and plug the hole so that the air inside the wall doesn’t flow across the remote sensor

The gateway provides the signal to the BCM and Display tablet across the CANBUS line so that the BCM can control the roof AC units as well as furnace based on selection and temperature

The gateway most certainly does provide feedback to the In Command System otherwise it would not know when the desired temp has been achieved.. or close to it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C3EA0663-C174-450F-A0FF-89334C888650.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	483.6 KB
ID:	38573   Click image for larger version

Name:	7638DC92-64A6-40A5-88CB-FE161247F091.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	567.9 KB
ID:	38574  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 02:41 AM   #4
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Remove the covers off the r wire temp sensors and see if the sensor is stuck way back inside the wall

If so then relocate the sensor outside the wall as shown in second image and plug the hole so that the air inside the wall doesn’t flow across the remote sensor

The gateway provides the signal to the BCM and Display tablet across the CANBUS line so that the BCM can control the roof AC units as well as furnace based on selection and temperature

The gateway most certainly does provide feedback to the In Command System otherwise it would not know when the desired temp has been achieved.. or close to it
My ACs work just OK (not great, not bad). I never put any thought into the sensors being effected by the air inside the wall. The front AC sensor is on an outside wall so I am sure it is being effected. Any suggestion on what to plug it with? My first thought was expanding foam but, that may be a PITA if I ever needed to have the sensor replaced.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 02:55 AM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
My ACs work just OK (not great, not bad). I never put any thought into the sensors being effected by the air inside the wall. The front AC sensor is on an outside wall so I am sure it is being effected. Any suggestion on what to plug it with? My first thought was expanding foam but, that may be a PITA if I ever needed to have the sensor replaced.
I’d get Thumb Gum or some equivalent..it’s like playdoh,it stays pliable and you can remove it easily. I’d press it on a little wider then the hole so it doesn’t fall into the wall from travel shock.
I get it at supply houses but Home Depot sells it in there electric aisle I believe
Old 03-04-2022, 05:52 AM   #6
ChuckS

Quote:
The sensor is a part that IF it ever failed then you would not be replacing the entire run of wire and sensor.. It is all one item if ordered (sensor and wire harness) that is way too long to begin with.. There is extra wire tucked in behind the wall on both remote sensors...

Even if the sensor is mounted on an inside wall ( such as my BR one is ) the air inside that wall space is NOT the same temp as the ambient air thats out in the open space of the room ( so both sensors need to be checked and moved if needed)..

I used some foam rubber and cut two pieces ( one for each sensor ) and then wedged into the open hole space behind the sensor .. I used a dab of glue to make sure the foam stays in place... Both have for 8 years now

I dont like expanding foam much at all as it makes it harder if I needed to get into the area again..

If one of the remote sensors ever failed I would order the item and then cut the new sensor off its harness and splice into the existing original harness.. trying to pull that harness form the roof AC unit control board down inside would test my patience.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 07:31 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
The outside wall of all "FILON sidewall trailers" is vacuum bonded and there's no "hollow space in the wall" so there's no "risk of the sensor falling into a hole in an empty wall space and falling down so far it's not reachable"...

The objective, should be to get the sensor OUTSIDE of that cavity it's mounted in. If you pull the sensor "slightly outside" the wall cavity, then fill it with a "custom carved foam plug" (cut from a sheet of foam insulation paneling), then place the sensor over that plug and reinstall the sensor guard, you'll have done about the best you can do to "insulate the sensor from non-ambient temperature influence"....

Just take a look at the "hole in the outside wall" and I'm sure you'll find that there's no way the sensor could be "lost in the wall through movement while towing"... And, your "final outcome" should be to place an insulated plug in the hole, preventing the sensor from being "inside the wall" but rather is "laying under the guard, OUTSIDE the wall"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote