Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2022, 06:35 AM   #1
JDDilly

MORryde X Factor Crossmembers

I have a 2020 MHC 381TH. When backing into spots there is a lot of stress on the tires/wheels/axels, it seems to be more with the triple axel. I put heavier Sailun tires on when I replaced the tires to help there, but I have been looking at the X-factor crossmembers to help with other the stress.

Any thoughts on how they help?

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:13 AM   #2
ChuckS

They are nice but if you learn to set up your approach top the spot you are backing into you wont have to make those hard backing angle turns to get into a spot...

It puts way less stress on the wheels, tires and especially the spring hangers that will crack due to stress loads.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:32 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

The tighter the turn, the more axles (or more space in-between) the more stress. This can be really bad on asphalt and concrete. When piviting at a radical angle the arc is a greater distance then the pivit point. Since the tires don't turn around the vertical axis they cannot pivot to align the tred with direction of travel. The side forces of the friction of the tread makes the sidewall roll under and can exert enough load to bend the spindal or axle..

If I was towing a triple axle trailer I would keep a bag of playsand in the bed or the truck. If forced to make a vary tight turn I would throw down a light coating to facilitate the tread slipping sideways. Best result IMO is to turn, back up a bit, then straighten the truck wheels and pull forward a few feet. Repeate the process until you are backed in but ALWAYS finish with pulling straight ahead a few feet then reverse back in. That will "unload" the stress on the suspension.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:34 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a new thread, just posted, concerning a "twisted frame" on a toyhauler. He has had tire wear problems and suspension issues on his trailer. The result, after several years of attempts to repair, has been diagnosed as a "twisted frame"... https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...758#post487758

I'd suppose that means his two frame rails have bent either inward or outward from the stress of backing/excessive turning angles...

It's possible that the X-factor support beams could have prevented his "frame twist and bent shackle hangers. They connect between the spring hangers and span the chassis rails, so both sides "share the twisting stress". That could help reduce the potential for damage "AT THE FRAME RAIL AND HANGER", but it would do NOTHING to reduce or eliminate the damage at the axle spindle/hub/bearing components on the trailer.....

As ChuckS posted, thinking through the maneuvers before hand and not putting the trailer/tow vehicle in "extreme angles" (which eliminates the stress to begin with) is the best "preventative measure"...

IMO, while the X-factor beams do help reduce damage to the frame rails and the spring hangers, for the most part, they just move the potential for damage to "the next weakest link".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote