Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2022, 06:04 PM   #1
Pooh

Battery level

What should my battery level read on the in command system
Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:12 PM   #2
markcee

I may not be phrasing this correctly as it's not my cup of tea, but I believe if you are not plugged in to shore power or any other power source, the display should show the battery's current state of charge voltage.

If you are plugged in to shore power it will display the voltage that your converter/charger is sending to the battery.

Others much smarter than me will be around shortly to assist!
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:14 PM   #3
snoobler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
What should my battery level read on the in command system
+1 to what markcee said. It will show converter voltage which will almost always be higher than battery.

In reality, it doesn't matter much. It's almost completely worthless because it uses voltage to indicate state of charge. The ONLY time it's kinda accurate is if there have been no loads or charging of any kind, and the battery has been at rest for 2+ hours.
snoobler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:25 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Markcee is correct. If you are completely disconnected from all power sources (shore power and solar panels), the voltage reading will be the battery voltage, but won't be "accurate" because there will be a "load on the battery" (from the trailer phantom load), which influences the output voltage. Any drain or load on the battery will affect obtaining an accurate voltage from the battery.

If you are connected to shore power, the voltage reading will be the converter/charger output (or the battery voltage if it is higher than the converter/charger which is not likely unless there is a malfunction, but it can happen).

If you are connected to a solar panel, then you'll read either the solar charge controller voltage or the battery voltage depending on which is greater. Cloudy days or at night you'll probably read the battery voltage, bright sunny days if the battery requires a charge, you'll read the solar controller voltage. But, since there will be a load on the battery (if it is connected to the trailer) the voltage will not be "true battery voltage"...

The way to read the battery voltage is to disconnect BOTH battery cables at the battery, let it sit with no connections for 30 minutes and then use a voltmeter to read the voltage at the battery + and - terminals.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:24 AM   #5
GHen

A fully charged “rested” healthy battery should be around 12.7
If it shows around 12.2, it is nearly dead and needs to be charged.

If the battery is being charged by shore power or solar it will show between 13.2 and 14.4.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:00 PM   #6
snoobler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
A fully charged “rested” healthy battery should be around 12.7
If it shows around 12.2, it is nearly dead and needs to be charged.

If the battery is being charged by shore power or solar it will show between 13.2 and 14.4.
Just some clarifications:

Resting = no charge or discharge for a full 2 hours or more.

12.2V represents 50-60% on most lead-acid, so it's not DEAD, but it is "dead" in terms of you really don't want to use it any more. If it's the difference between running the furnace to stay alive and keep the belly from freezing, then yeah... murder the battery, but in normal use, 12.2V resting is the "CHARGE ME!" level.
Old 02-18-2022, 03:59 PM   #7
MurphyIRE

I went with one of these, problem solved $70-80
Click image for larger version

Name:	renogy shunt connector cropped .jpg
Views:	165
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	38422
MurphyIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:38 PM   #8
snoobler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyIRE View Post
I went with one of these, problem solved
Attachment 38422
Battery monitors are great.

If you want the cat's meow for lead-acid, the Victron smartshunt or one of their BMV units is amazing. It considers both Peukert effect and temperature efficiency and makes for very accurate readings.

Tags
battery