Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2022, 01:49 PM   #1
Oldman78

RV Queen bed 24RDS

Can I switch out the RV Queen bed for a regular queen in the 24RDS. The RV Queen is a little short for me.
Oldman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 02:21 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
Can I switch out the RV Queen bed for a regular queen in the 24RDS. The RV Queen is a little short for me.
There may be other folks who have no idea what the floorplan of a 24RDS looks like. Make a signature with the year, make and model of your camper and same for your tow vehicle. Find the signature maker in the UserCP. Make sure you save it. It really helps folks answer questions with context. Good luck. BTW: I added a full queen on the platform where a RV queen was initially installed. Put a piece of 3/8" plywood across the end so it didn't sag when we slid off the end. The original mattress was abut 4-5" thick and shot (used trailer) and I went with a 14" pillow top.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 02:41 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

I added a block of foam at the head of the rv mattress to make it the length of a full queen. We don't sleep that far up anyway. It worked fine but we still were not comfortable on the stock mattress so we replaced it with a full queen foam mattress. Yes it bends at the foot when sliding out but the foam is not damaged and on our model you could get in and out from the sides.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:25 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

An RV queen is 60x75" a residential queen is 60x80. Five inches in an RV bedroom can be a "tremendous amount of space"... I'd suggest that you pull the existing mattress down 5" and see if you can still move about the foot of the bed without problems. If you can, and if BOTH of you are "OK" with the loss of space at the foot of the bed, then consider a larger mattress as an upgrade.

If there is a problem with losing the walking space, then you can do as we do. Just before bed, I lift the bed platform (like I'm opening the storage area under the bed) and then sit it back down. What that does is force the mattress away from the headboard, causing it to slide down about 4". We then tuck the pillows in shams (that decorate the bed when it's made) between the top of the mattress and the headboard. (Sort of like hankpage does with that block of foam).

This gives us a longer mattress when we're sleeping and in the morning, we push the mattress up to its regular position and we regain the lost space for walking around the foot of the bed...

For us, it's "sort of a compromise to get the best of both situations".... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed