Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
Trucker2565

Atwood helium fridge

I have a 2016 keystone 272 rks with an Atwood helium fridge 0601... fridge only cools down to 40 with 1 bottle of water in it with temp gauge inside bottle. I let it run for 48 hours level .. I took it in earlier this year and they had it for 2 weeks and said it worked fine.. ( in their air conditioned shop of course) what should the temp be on max cool???
(5th Light on) when checked. Freezer appears to work but fridge not so much. My extended warranty expires in April 2022... i know they are obsolete but can't seem to get dealer to warranty it and replace it..HELP with any info..
Trucker2565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 05:27 PM   #2
Trucker2565

In the spring they said the propane regulator was only putting out 1/2 of what it was suppose to so they changed it. I've had problems with this fridge since new. It NEVER ices the fins or even gets that cold ever. My friends run theirs on 2 or 3 and it freezes up its so cold.
Trucker2565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:37 AM   #3
locomech

I have the same fridge in my Passport, and it takes a good day to cool down. It's important to level the trailer the best you can for the fridge to operate without incurring an error. Inside the fridge I moved the thermister bulb on the fins up to near the top, and I have a battery operated fan at the bottom. About 3 weeks ago we were in Door County Wisconsin and the maximum temp in the fridge was 37 degrees, the outside air temperature was in the low to mid 70's.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:50 AM   #4
B-O-B'03

I have the 8 CU foot version of that fridge and there are a couple things that impact its cooling ability.

Have you tried it on both electric and gas?
If the issues is only on gas, have you blown out the burner area?
Also make sure the chimney does not have any insect (dirt dauber) nests.
Where is the thermistor attached to the cooling fins, inside the fridge? (mine is on the 6th one from the right, near the top.
Is the fridge in a slide?
If so, are there fans to keep it vented?
Are there any obstructions in the back of the cabinet? the fins back there need to freely give off heat.

It seem to me that if the fridge is getting to 40, it is working, just not efficiently.

Give me a shout if you have any questions.

-Brian
Old 10-05-2021, 01:15 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker2565 View Post
I have a 2016 keystone 272 rks with an Atwood helium fridge 0601... fridge only cools down to 40 with 1 bottle of water in it with temp gauge inside bottle. I let it run for 48 hours level .. I took it in earlier this year and they had it for 2 weeks and said it worked fine.. ( in their air conditioned shop of course) what should the temp be on max cool???
(5th Light on) when checked. Freezer appears to work but fridge not so much. My extended warranty expires in April 2022... i know they are obsolete but can't seem to get dealer to warranty it and replace it..HELP with any info..
You really should fill the refrigerator as if your going camping and then check temps…it’s harder to get an accurate reading on an empty refrigerator..the overall volume of the inside of the refrigerator while empty is much more then if it was full ( but not overloaded)
Also the refrigerator warms up a lot faster as soon as you open the door because there is nothing inside that is cold and dense to maintain the temp.
All of the things you put inside help maintain temp when the door is opened.
And finally your not adding cold to a refrigerator …your removing heat …and the smaller the inside space is the easier it can do that .
Let the refrigerator run for at least 24 hours before you analyze how it’s working

Tags
fridge