Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2021, 07:14 AM   #21
nied

Colorado Towing

20K miles. Six trips OH to FL and 7 trips OH to OBX. Would I try the Rockies, nah, the the eastern mountains have been no problem. You're not required to load the truck and RV to it's max. I do wish I purchased a 4 point WDH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	386.6 KB
ID:	34327  
nied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:01 AM   #22
Ken / Claudia

I see the poster never listed his vehicles payload rating.
Yea, different vehicle but here's 1 I had 2002 chev trailblazer 4.2 6 cylinder
Payload 1,000 lbs.
Another one, my 2007 H3 built on a Colorado frame is a whole 919 lbs payload rated.

What's a Colorado payload anyone? Likely more than the 2 I listed but not much more.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:45 AM   #23
nied

My 2016 has a GVW of 6000 lbs and a payload of 1520 lbs per the door sticker.
nied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:41 AM   #24
Ribtip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Payload 1,000 lbs.
Another one, my 2007 H3 built on a Colorado frame is a whole 919 lbs payload rated.

What's a Colorado payload anyone? Likely more than the 2 I listed but not much more.
Man those 4.2's were good motors
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:13 AM   #25
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtip View Post
Man those 4.2's were good motors
We had a 2004 with all the bells and whistles. Maintained it meticulously as I do all my vehicles. Loved it right up until it lost compression in #3 cylinder. But hey, it had 204K miles on it. It's a shame they quit making TrailBlazers. My wife loved it. It picked up a vibration probably about 10K miles before the compression went away. It was mild and I spent a good bit of money to try to fix it but all the parts we threw at it didn't fix it. Throttle body relearn, new motor and transmission mounts, plugs, coils, no bueno.

So I bought my wife a Ford Expedition Eddie Baur loaded out. And she loved that one too. Gave it to one of our sons and his wife a few years ago. So we're now down to my F350, my Cadillac CTS V and a Chevy HHR for when we want to be cheap on gas. My wife is trying to settle on what she wants next. Maybe a Suburban. We had a couple of them years ago and she liked them too.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:25 PM   #26
Todd727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Payload 1,000 lbs.

It's because the payload sticker doesn't really matter once you buy the vehicle and start loading it.

What the OP needs to do, is load up his Colorado and spend $12 at a truck stop to weigh it. Then he will now how much margin he has between GVWR, RAWR, and GCWR. With this single action, he can determine how heavy of a trailer he can tow and how much pin weight he can accept.

You can't calculate this stuff accurately from the printed numbers. You can only get in the ballpark.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:45 PM   #27
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd727 View Post
It's because the payload sticker doesn't really matter once you buy the vehicle and start loading it.

What the OP needs to do, is load up his Colorado and spend $12 at a truck stop to weigh it. Then he will now how much margin he has between GVWR, RAWR, and GCWR. With this single action, he can determine how heavy of a trailer he can tow and how much pin weight he can accept.

You can't calculate this stuff accurately from the printed numbers. You can only get in the ballpark.
Would have to disagree with that last paragraph!
Those printed numbers on the truck don't need calculated, none should be exceeded, typically the payload will be the 1st to be exceeded when dealing with RVs. The max tongue weight for the rv is easily calculated from the posted GVWR on the manufacturers tag using 13% for TTs & 23% for 5th wheels. The exact numbers will only be found by driving across the scales a couple times.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing