Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2021, 06:33 AM   #1
Nankipoo

Manual Slide Operation

In a previous thread I discussed how my big dining slide had quit working electrically. Paid a local dealer good money to diagnose the problem and fix it. They did and I brought it home. Worked three times before it died again. They are saying it could several weeks before they can get back to it. Took it Memorial weekend and manually ran the slide out with a drill and then back in. Question is...... We have trips planned in 2 weeks and again the week of the 4th. These are electric slides and not hydraulic. Is it safe to keep using the drill until they can get to it and fix it. I don't won't to break something and cause more problems.
Nankipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:42 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Assuming there is no physical damage to the slide mechanism like a bent ram or a broken chassis support that causes the slide to bind and damage the slide mechanism, pretty much the only difference between using the "internal electric motor" and your "external electric motor" is that you're powering the gear pack from a different electric motor source"...

So, if there's nothing "bent, broken or binding" in the slide, the OEM electric motor is simply a "supplement for the hand power drive" to open/close the slide. You'll do no damage to the slide system by using an electric drill to open/close the slide.... I would caution you not to use an impact wrench to "power through a binding mechanism" but as long as the slide moves freely with no resistance, I think you'll be OK using the manual system.... It's not really a "backup system" even though we've all become used to expecting it to be just that... The electric motor is, in actuality, the "accessory system" to power the "manual slide mechanism"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:46 AM   #3
Nankipoo

It goes in and out with no binding. I start off with a ratchet to make sure I'm going the right direction. �� Then I use the drill and barely pull the trigger and take it slow so if it does bind I can stop. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:56 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's a photo of the motor/ram assembly. If you notice, the motor is "bolted to the side of the main mechanism". As long as you don't apply electrical power to the motor while turning the ram drive, you won't hurt anything. That said, if you've got a ratchet hanging on the ram drive and somebody inside pushes the slide switch, you could wind up "beating your arm to a pulp" before you can get away from the "powerful electric motor and gear drive power"...

So, be careful to protect yourself from an accidental injury while under the trailer. I always either disconnect the electric motor or at least put tape over the slide switch to prevent someone from "not knowing what I'm doing when they try to help".....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LIPPERT SLIDE OUT MOTOR AND RAM.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	33921   Click image for larger version

Name:	LIPPERT SLIDE OUT MOTOR AND RAM2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	33922  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:05 AM   #5
Nankipoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Here's a photo of the motor/ram assembly. If you notice, the motor is "bolted to the side of the main mechanism". As long as you don't apply electrical power to the motor while turning the ram drive, you won't hurt anything. That said, if you've got a ratchet hanging on the ram drive and somebody inside pushes the slide switch, you could wind up "beating your arm to a pulp" before you can get away from the "powerful electric motor and gear drive power"...

So, be careful to protect yourself from an accidental injury while under the trailer. I always either disconnect the electric motor or at least put tape over the slide switch to prevent someone from "not knowing what I'm doing when they try to help".....
Thanks again. Usually just me and the wife so she watches the slide as I'm doing it from the other side.

Tags
slide